Know it all Boffins please

PINBALL

Reaction score
Website
www.coin-opcommunity.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 E230 / 124 E220 /124 E280 /210 E320 CDI Wagons
Whats a HALL SENSOR and what does it do ?

Also when it fails what are the consequences please.

My 02 - E320 CDI is experiencing power surges when chiefly either de-accelerating or on low 30 mph cruise controlled when going downhill without pulling or under load.

My indie is second guessing its the hall sensor, as he said its got an after market one fitted - prob off Ebay by previous owner.

Any 2nd guesses always welcome to broaden the mind on where to check further - thanks.

Wish Malcolm was still around - I really do miss his always helpful input.

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 '63 E350 coupe amg sport
A hall sensor is a relatively small, sealed, component the communicates electronically (by voltage variations or simple switching) rotational speed and position - used in ABS systems, tachometers and the most likely application for your question, ignition timing and variations therein.
Think rotating small individual magnets on a disk, attached to the end of a shaft, a metallic strip in proximity, is acted upon by the magnetic forces and this is communicated as an electrical signal to the ecu.
A bit simplistic, but, hopefully makes some sense.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Hall sensor- the recording head in a VCR or tape deck.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hall effect sensors are typically used in ABS sensors and crank position sensors.
Can't see either of those causing the effects you're seeing?

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
My 02 - E320 CDI is experiencing power surges when chiefly either de-accelerating or on low 30 mph cruise controlled when going downhill without pulling or under load.
Any 2nd guesses always welcome to broaden the mind on where to check further - thanks.

Torque converter.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom