R Class Eye/high level brake light

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
How does my eye/high level brake light come out on my car? A YouTube clip implies there are 4 screws behind grommets at the top of the tailgate but I've probed about up there and can't find anything. There are a couple on eBay complete with pictures which seem to show clips that would suggest it just prises out. I've given it a go but didn't want to force it.
I wanted to remove it as it was suggested here & elsewhere that it could be where water is entering the inside of the tailgate.

And yes ..... I've RTFM :rolleyes: but as the book says it contains leds rather than a bulb, it seems the powers that be never considered we might want/need to remove it. :)

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
WIS shows 4 plug/grommets with screws underneath. Also has some clips on it

Attachments

• R320.pdf
    294.2 KB · Views: 4
OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
WIS shows 4 plug/grommets with screws underneath. Also has some clips on it

Thanks for that Bob ..... that's what the you tube clip shows, but I'm buggered if i can locate the screws though. :confused:
We've a boroscope at work .... hopefully the head is small enough to go through the holes where the grommets live & I can have a look in there. :)

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
I am guessing the WIS document was for your vehicle and it didn't change for any pre/post facelift. Did you look at the pics on the document?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
If it’s working I’d leave well alone I replaced my high level brake light on the 210 and totally destroyed it in the process didn’t bother me as it had failed but they are very tricky to do, mine was held in by spring clips like yours but to do the job properly you need a special tool

Might be better to clean off around the seal and apply some clear silicon if you think the seal is leaking. I didn’t think much to the seal on the new replacement so applied some silicon when I installed it

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Sorry for the late replies.
The boroscope worked great & I eventually found the 4 screws ....
The clips that hold it in place fasten to the back of the lamp to allow the lamp to just push into place from outside of the car. When the clips are I'm screwed, the clips are then just loose in the cavity.
I gave up re-fitting last Monday due to blizzard conditions and have an on work since. I'll apply a bead of sealant to the original foam seal & push it into place when I get the chance.

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I am guessing the WIS document was for your vehicle and it didn't change for any pre/post facelift. Did you look at the pics on the document?

It was spot on ..... but became crystal clear when eventually removed. ;)

Top Bottom