Which petrol should I put in my CLK 200 Kompressor?

R8Chris

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 AMG Sport Cabriolet
Just looking for some opinions on which fuel I should be using. Is there any benefit to filling up with the higher Ron fuels. I am getting 28-30mpg on daily use and wondered if I could improve it by changing fuel.
Regards Chris

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
95 I reckon , it's the same engine as mine . have a look inside the filler cap , if it's meant to take 98 it will say so .

OP
R

R8Chris

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
95 I reckon , it's the same engine as mine . have a look inside the filler cap , if it's meant to take 98 it will say so .

It just says 95 but I wandered if using a better fuel would have any benefits. What mpg do you get?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
image.jpg
It just says 95 but I wandered if using a better fuel would have any benefits. What mpg do you get?
95 it is then , the cost difference will offset any improved mpg (but I doubt you will get any with 98 ) .
About 30mpg on general stuff , up to 36 on a run with the roof up at 70mph , this is on 17 " wheels.
This is the trip computer from a drive to southern Spain this September .

OP
R

R8Chris

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will stick to 95 then. Which gearbox setting do you use day to day. Is there any difference?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will stick to 95 then. Which gearbox setting do you use day to day. Is there any difference?
It is mainly used by Mrs W in C mode , I always stick it in sport unless I'm on a motorway and just in cruise . No real difference in mpg . C starts in second gear , S starts in first and holds the revs for longer before changing up .

OP
R

R8Chris

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So C would be best for wetter weather and S for smile on the face . Thank again for the info, much appreciated.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If chasing economy then C may give a few extra mpg. Frankly I'd just use whichever feels nicest for what you want to do.
As above 98 in a car designed and mapped to use 95 won't give any significant benefit. The way the ECU works is it starts with timing at a given value then retards it. If you want to get the best from 98 you need more advance on the timing.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Not many really need above 95 to be noticeably different and even then...
I experimented with 99 momentum from Tesco which is the only 99 near me, 98 shell , 97 BP and Sainsbury’s 97 and from them all the one which seems to work best is Sainsbury’s! It’s also the cheapest strangely
Ok not very scientific as I haven’t done track timing nor dyno checks with each just purely feel, but I am quite sensitive to how my engine runs

OP
R

R8Chris

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If chasing economy then C may give a few extra mpg. Frankly I'd just use whichever feels nicest for what you want to do.
As above 98 in a car designed and mapped to use 95 won't give any significant benefit. The way the ECU works is it starts with timing at a given value then retards it. If you want to get the best from 98 you need more advance on the timing.

Thank you for the advice. I'm having way too much fun and enjoying driving again. S mode doesn't seem to make much difference to economy but does drive nice.

OP
R

R8Chris

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not many really need above 95 to be noticeably different and even then...
I experimented with 99 momentum from Tesco which is the only 99 near me, 98 shell , 97 BP and Sainsbury’s 97 and from them all the one which seems to work best is Sainsbury’s! It’s also the cheapest strangely
Ok not very scientific as I haven’t done track timing nor dyno checks with each just purely feel, but I am quite sensitive to how my engine runs

Thanks John, Will give Sainsbury a try. Thats my kind of science, Especially if it's gonna give me more smiles per gallon

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom