ENGINE/ATF OIL CHANGING

MICHAEL31

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e270 cdi classic auto
hi. has anyone used these vacuum pump/containers for extracting oils from engine/auto box. I appreciate may be an issue when it comes to the tc or does it take from there also if vacuum is strong enough. have the chance of one as a pressy is why I ask and like the idea of it being diy.
recently had them both changed at local garage but to be honest I have lost all faith in what they do, and shortcuts used, for peace of mind I would rather pay for fresh knowing it was all good. its a good engine,104k auto box lovely, being remapped etc etc, I and enjoy driving it so its worth the cost, not for the wife's ears though. which oils do you all recommend ? thanks mike

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
If you are confident enough to do the job with an extractor pump, why not?
For engine oil I'd recommend having it delivered free from MB. 10litres for £35 47 is a bargain.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes...168750&hash=item237f0ac4a7:g:4kYAAOSwFqJWr~5p

This seems a pretty good price for ATF but if you are draining the TC then 5lt won't be enough. Have a look around on the same page as the link below for the full kit of 7lt ATF/Filter/Gasket.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...780935?hash=item2a927533c7:g:zeIAAOSw8b1Z6ynU

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Pela 6000 pump is the one to get buddy , works a treat provided the oil is hot . I've had one for 3 years .

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As AMGeed says , get the MB229.51 from eBay , but get the 20L container for £54 delivered

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I use a a Sealey 6 litre one and won't go back to draining it from under the car.
It won't drain the TC. The only way to flush/drain the TC (if it hasn't a drain plug) is to pump the oil out using the engine while feeding fresh oil in (via the trans cooler). Not recommended if you don't have the kit.
Changing oil is definitely DiY. If you have half a clue with spanners the autobox filter change is also DIY.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In answer to your torque converter question (I should have done this all in one post :D) no , a vacuum pump won't empty the TC .
There is a gearbox filter that needs changing every 40k miles that needs the sump dropping .

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Lidle do a pump for £13, but it doesn't have a container for the oil, you have to use an empty container. Works really well though. I too would never go to the sump plug again. As my oil filter is on top of the engine I don't even need to bend ze knees to do an oil & filter change.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Lidl's pump is only 0.2 litre per minute maximum.
Assuming you pumped the oil hot - work out how long that would take to drain the sump, bearing in mind that the oil is cooling and getting harder to extract all the while.
Wouldn't personally recommend it.

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Lidl's pump is only 0.2 litre per minute maximum.
Assuming you pumped the oil hot - work out how long that would take to drain the sump, bearing in mind that the oil is cooling and getting harder to extract all the while.
Wouldn't personally recommend it.
I'm sure you can get better, but it works well enough for me and it's cheap.:)

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Here's my oil drainer set up....bought it about 5 years ago, and since then, have filled 1.5 220 ltr barrels ( with some help from my friends ) Can be used manually ( but you need to be fit ) I connect it to a compressor that I have. Even so, every 3rd change, I jack the car up and drain the oil into a container. Gives me the chance to (A) completely drain the sump, and clean the sump stud, and (B) get to see the underneath parts of the car. :cool:
Next project, change the Transmission oil, which will be a first for me. Hope that it works out all right.Changing the oil ( and filter) by dropping the oil sump seems to be the "easy" part......but the TC is something else !!! Apparently, earlier 722.6 transmissions did have a drainable torque converter, but not the newer ones? That's unfortunate. I wonder how many owners have an oil change without changing the TC? And continued on without problem? :)

Attachments

• Mercedes Oil Change pic Reduced IMAG6022[602].jpg
    Mercedes Oil Change pic Reduced IMAG6022[602].jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 25

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Here's my oil drainer set up....bought it about 5 years ago, and since then, have filled 1.5 220 ltr barrels ( with some help from my friends ) Can be used manually ( but you need to be fit ) I connect it to a compressor that I have. Even so, every 3rd change, I jack the car up and drain the oil into a container. Gives me the chance to (A) completely drain the sump, and clean the sump stud, and (B) get to see the underneath parts of the car. :cool:
Next project, change the Transmission oil, which will be a first for me. Hope that it works out all right.Changing the oil ( and filter) by dropping the oil sump seems to be the "easy" part......but the TC is something else !!! Apparently, earlier 722.6 transmissions did have a drainable torque converter, but not the newer ones? That's unfortunate. I wonder how many owners have an oil change without changing the TC? And continued on without problem? :)
There is quite a lot on YouTube about draining the torque converters by disconnecting one of the oil cooler hoses from the gearbox to empty the TC . Also check the DIY section on this forum for some good instructions .

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Really, the autobox is in three sections as far as atf changes go.
The sump, the torque convertor and the atf radiator.
Any thorough atf change needs to include all three.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
I wouldn't use a vacuum or electric pump for the atf, but for the engine oil it makes massive sense as the filter is also on the top.

I get the engine warm, then set off my 16 quid ebay electric pump and go make a cuppa. Takes about 10 minutes to drain the 6 odd litres.

Jim2 I'm pondering doing my 722.6 box, just the sump, not the TC. I've posted on here previously with the steps I'm going to take, and there is a good write-up here too: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1334827-photo-diy-722-6x-transmission-fluid.html

An alternative to disconnecting pipes to do the TC is to do a repeated drain and fill of the sump 3 times, changing the filter on the last one. You use more oil and it's not a 100% change but it does mean you're not having to undo pipes.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
An alternative to disconnecting pipes to do the TC is to do a repeated drain and fill of the sump 3 times, changing the filter on the last one. You use more oil and it's not a 100% change but it does mean you're not having to undo pipes.

That is similar to what I'm doing. Had my service last month at MBS and unfortunately my 722.6 autobox doesn't have a TC drain plug.
So 3.5 litres was drained from the gearbox and it was refilled with a new filter and gasket. I'm having it done again in a couple of months and that should be sufficient. At £10 a litre, its pricey stuff to tip away to get totally clean fluid.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wouldn't use a vacuum or electric pump for the atf, but for the engine oil it makes massive sense as the filter is also on the top.

I get the engine warm, then set off my 16 quid ebay electric pump and go make a cuppa. Takes about 10 minutes to drain the 6 odd litres.

Jim2 I'm pondering doing my 722.6 box, just the sump, not the TC. I've posted on here previously with the steps I'm going to take, and there is a good write-up here too: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1334827-photo-diy-722-6x-transmission-fluid.html

I know what you mean for the vacuum pump on the ATF if you are doing the filter in the sump , but with the
"recommended" 40k miles interval for changing the filter I like to do a halfway or less replacement of some of the fluid on my 5g box . I can get 4L of ATF oil for under £30 on eBay , so I use the pump to just do an easy change of the sump fluid when the filter doesn't need changing .

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That is similar to what I'm doing. Had my service last month at MBS and unfortunately my 722.6 autobox doesn't have a TC drain plug.
So 3.5 litres was drained from the gearbox and it was refilled with a new filter and gasket. I'm having it done again in a couple of months and that should be sufficient. At £10 a litre, its pricey stuff to tip away to get totally clean fluid.
Fuchs atf4134 is 236.14 spec and is £28 delivered for 4L . I know the MB stuff is a lot more , but Fuchs is a big brand and regularly used in Mercs .

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Really, the autobox is in three sections as far as atf changes go.
The sump, the torque convertor and the atf radiator.
Any thorough atf change needs to include all three.

So Umble, You are right , that stands to reason !!! I am sure that the ATF Rad will hold several litres. if I disconnect the pipe ( pipe's?? I presume that there is a feed and return from the transmission? ) then the oil from both the TC and Radiator will drain down into a container? No pump or suction device needed? That would be great !!! Would be very important to carefully save every drop of the used oil, and use that quantity as a refill guide.
Then both will re-fill from main transmission sump? I have searched the forum for a step by step guide to do this, but so far , no luck. Obviously not looking in the right place LOL.
Thanks Umble, and Best Regards, Jim2

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom