DPF issues

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
If a car has had a lot of short journeys and the DPF light comes on, can you just fix this by doing a few more long drives? Can a PDF be cleaned? If not, does the DPF have to be replaced? I've read people online asking about getting their DPF's cleared.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
If a car has had a lot of short journeys and the DPF light comes on, can you just fix this by doing a few more long drives? Can a PDF be cleaned? If not, does the DPF have to be replaced? I've read people online asking about getting their DPF's cleared.
You do, yes. If it is on now you need to get in it and drive !! :)

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
You do, yes. If it is on now you need to get in it and drive !! :)
Thanks, don't have a car yet :)

It was hypothetical. It's strange I owned a company car Insignia for four years from new and mainly did short town driving, at the end the went back with about 34k on the clock, in that time I never had any DPF issues. But now and again there was the odd trip up the mortorway.
I did read another post that said DPF removal and clean every two years.

Lambo_Pig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204/2008/320CDI & Alfa Romeo 4C
You’ll never need a dpf clean or have any dog issues if you are using the right oil from a quality company like Millers Oils.
You’ll typically get dpf issues from shitty quality engine oils like Comma, or by using the wrong ACEA oil. Onlybise an oil that on the specifications says “MB-approval MB 229.51” for example. (Check your log book for your correct specification number. You’ll never have dpf issues again.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You’ll never need a dpf clean or have any dog issues if you are using the right oil from a quality company like Millers Oils.
You’ll typically get dpf issues from shitty quality engine oils like Comma, or by using the wrong ACEA oil. Onlybise an oil that on the specifications says “MB-approval MB 229.51” for example. (Check your log book for your correct specification number. You’ll never have dpf issues again.
Not true.
Oil is important but the DPF regen is very dependent on every required condition being met. A failing thermostat can cause a regen to not start leading to a blocked DPF if not fixed promptly.

br0ke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 270, 2008 Vito Sport X
My Vito sport X went into limp mode and the MAF was the cause, but the van had 106k on it and the DPF hadn't regenerated since 60k so the indy garage was able to clean and force a regeneration. Not sure whether they took it out and cleaned it or did it insitu, but it sorted the issues, so yes - they can be cleaned.
Reading about it, the best bet is a 30 mile drive around 2000 rpm. Seems to be the best engine speed to get the computer to regen, but apparently won't happen if it is 100% blocked.

gianton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C250 CDI 4Matic Avantgarde - 2013
Not true.
Oil is important but the DPF regen is very dependent on every required condition being met. A failing thermostat can cause a regen to not start leading to a blocked DPF if not fixed promptly.
Exactly, that's what happened to my '06 Audi A6 All road and had both DPF and fuel injectors blocked.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom