I want my car back!

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Interesting comments on here.

I currently work at a Ford main Dealership. The Fiesta is the best selling new & used vehicle in the UK.

Surely they must be doing something right? All those customers can't be wrong?

I've got a Mk7 1.0 ecoboost Fiesta for Mrs Binnedit, and she loves it. I drive it now and again, and it loves being rev'd.

You just get used to what you know. A Fiesta is sold as a shopping trolly/take the kids to school/2nd car run-about, it's never hoing to compare with a big lazy 6 pot barge ..... there are other 6 pot barges than those with a 3 point star ;) Years ago I was loaned a newish Fiesta while they sorted some crash damage to my Senator, unfortunately it coincided with a trip to the Midlands. The kids complained of lack of room in the back & overall I couldn't wait to give it back. Nothing really wrong with it other than too small & too many pedals for my liking. :)
I also couldn't wait to give the manual B Class back when I was given it as a courtesy car. When I told the girl behind the desk that, she said that everyone says that.

Last edited:

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Interesting comments on here.

I currently work at a Ford main Dealership. The Fiesta is the best selling new & used vehicle in the UK.

Surely they must be doing something right? All those customers can't be wrong?

I've got a Mk7 1.0 ecoboost Fiesta for Mrs Binnedit, and she loves it. I drive it now and again, and it loves being rev'd.

Not at all biased then :)

Binnedit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 W216
Not at all biased then :)

No, not at all ;)

I must add though, the new model isnt a cheap option. They start at around £17k for a reasonable spec.

You just get used to what you know. A Fiesta is sold as a shopping trolly/take the kids to school/2nd car run-about, it's never hoing to compare with a big lazy 6 pot barge ..... there are other 6 pot barges than those with a 3 point star ;) Years ago I was loaned a newish Fiesta while they sorted some crash damage to my Senator, unfortunately it coincided with a trip to the Midlands. The kids complained of lack of room in the back & overall I couldn't wait to give it back. Nothing really wrong with it other than too small & too many pedals for my liking. :)
I also couldn't wait to give the manual B Class back when I was given it as a courtesy car. When I told the girl behind the desk that, she said that everyone says that.

Exactly that. They have a target market, and seem to have hit a sweet spot.

Must say though, I've done a round trip from Stoke to Stranraer, and whilst not as relaxing as my CLK, it did an admiral job. Though I would be a tad frazzled after the drive to & from, but was fine.

Cheap to maintain too.

Have I sold it to you yet? :D

OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Don't get me wrong, if I was in the market for a family hatch it would be on my list.

It's growing on me. But I still want my C back. :D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
I must add though, the new model isnt a cheap option. They start at around £17k for a reasonable spec.

I also work for Ford and think that Fiesta/Mondeo are great looking cars. But seem expensive....Even with the employee discount the Focus comes out at 13,500Eur for the base model.

There's a big billboard outside that advertises the Fiat Tipo Saloon with 4 years guarantee (not 2 like most manufacturers/Ford here in Spain) for 9,600Eur - that's under 9k pounds. The base spec has A/C and a USB stereo which would be fine for me so wouldn't need to be specced up and it's a nice looking car.

So why are Fiat's so much cheaper? Not been in a Tipo but the Fiat 500 I had as a hire car was build quality/fit and finish wise way above anything else new I've driven including overrated Golf/VAG dross. Drove nicer too. The only other new car I've liked was a Citroen C3 but I see these start at 13,500Eur and only a 2 yr warranty too so not sure what the catch is...apparently the Fiat petrols are pretty decent too (Twin air? though not sure you get that on the base 1,4)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Back in 2002 I had a Fiat Punto 1.2 Sporting and it was the only car I've had which required no warranty work or any work at all in the 30k miles I had it.
Drove well too (for what it was).

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
In 1980 I had a Scimitar GTE with Ford V6 and overdrive on third and top, loved driving it but on the M6 the fiber timing gears stripped and did for the cylinder heads. The only hire car they had was a Ford Granada automatic, on the drive home I looked at the speedo and I was doing 90, it was so quiet and smooth I had not realised.
As has been said you get used to things until you have something to compare them with

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I didn't.
More people didn't vote for Brexit than did.

Actually, more didn't vote to remain in EU than did.

Highest turn out for any vote, says something about the strength of feeling.

We've had governments voted in with fewer votes as a percentage of the voting population than either camp got during the EU referendum and they're still considered to have been given a legitimate mandate to govern and yet somehow the result of the referendum is still disputed by some.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Actually, more didn't vote to remain in EU than did.

Highest turn out for any vote, says something about the strength of feeling.

We've had governments voted in with fewer votes as a percentage of the voting population than either camp got during the EU referendum and they're still considered to have been given a legitimate mandate to govern and yet somehow the result of the referendum is still disputed by some.
Less than 50% of eligible voters voted to stay either in or out irrespective of the turnout.
My comment about more people not voting to leave than did is therefore correct.

Last edited:
OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Chaps please don't turn this into an argument thread. I'd rather it not get locked.

Car is back. It is nice.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Less than 50% of eligible voters voted to stay either in our out irrespective of the turnout.

We're both right.

A turnout of 72.2% of registered voters means that the remaining 27.8% didn't vote to remain nor did they vote to leave.
So 75.9% didn't vote to leave the EU and 79.7% didn't vote to stay.

That was the point that I was making.

Compare that to the 2001 general election when only 59.4% actually voted (according to electoral commission figures), giving Labour a win with 40.7% of the vote. More people didn't vote for a Labour government than did!

The same can actually be said for a majority of General Elections. More people didn't vote for the winning government than did.
The wonders of democracy.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We're both right.

A turnout of 72.2% of registered voters means that the remaining 27.8% didn't vote to remain nor did they vote to leave.
So 75.9% didn't vote to leave the EU and 79.7% didn't vote to stay.

That was the point that I was making.

Compare that to the 2001 general election when only 59.4% actually voted (according to electoral commission figures), giving Labour a win with 40.7% of the vote. More people didn't vote for a Labour government than did!

The same can actually be said for a majority of General Elections. More people didn't vote for the winning government than did.
The wonders of democracy.
Doesn't matter regarding this topic.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Chaps please don't turn this into an argument thread. I'd rather it not get locked.

Car is back. It is nice.
They just wouldn’t let it go! :)
Glad you have your superior car back, that’s the main thing...

OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Acms did a sterling job as usual, they even repacked my front bearings for free.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Less than 50% of eligible voters voted to stay either in or out irrespective of the turnout.
This is the same process for the voting system all over the world. Some call it democracy.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is the same process for the voting system all over the world. Some call it democracy.
Not relevant to the discussion but you're only partially correct. Some countries use proportional represenatation.
Some countries purport to be democratic but you can only stand if you can't win.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Not relevant to the discussion but you're only partially correct. Some countries use proportional represenatation.
Some countries purport to be democratic but you can only stand if you can't win.
Why did you raise it then? :D

OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You could equally say more people didn't vote to remain than did.

It's a bit meaningless really.

You can argue that perhaps the vote should have been rerun to try and get a bigger turnout but under our current rules it's not about how many total votes you get, just that you get more than the other side.

Union votes sometimes hit the same issue, a leader will be elected with a miniscule proportion of the total possible votes, but they are in because they got more than the other candidates. There was a furore about this recently but I can't remember who it was exactly.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Top Bottom