Number Plate holder (W205)

Jeddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 C350e - 2017
Can anyone suggest a nice (as little to see as possible) number plate holder for a W205 please? Also one from which the plate can't easily be removed and preferably no holes in the number plate too.

I'm not sure if the 'no holes' and 'can't easily be removed' are contradicting each other? If so I'll go for the 'no holes' and use double sided pads.

The best I've seen so far are the e-tech ABS but I'd rather not even see the plastic surround (nor bling it up to carbon / chrome).

Stupid dealer removed the reasonable holders which were on the car and replaced them with ones advertising the dealership and huge surrounds which can easily be opened anyway. Not amused, that's not the car I put my deposit on! Were it closer I'd go back and ask for them back. Still, at least they changed the plates to remove the name of the leasing company and put new plates with MB on so they've saved me doing that.

Thanks.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Last edited:
OP
Jeddy

Jeddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 C350e - 2017
This

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-Number-Plate-Backing-Plinth-All-Car-Repairs-NEW/111009562350?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

The front plate can just be stuck to the plinth.

I don't know if the car has the pillers with the bolt holes in the rear so maybe worth a look to see if you can just stick the plates straight on

Thanks, that's more the sort of thing. You're apparently better at searching than I, I spent ages and didn't find that, wrong search term I guess. The rear has 4 raised bolt holes so the plate could possibly be stuck straight onto the boot, but the pads would need to be fairly thick which possibly isn't a great idea, so, as long as the holes are in the right position for the above, that should suit nicely.

The existing front plinth is slightly curved, so I'm nervous about using sticky pads for that. I notice that for the front the original holder is still in place and they've screwed their advertising clip open plate holder to it, so I can just remove that and bolt the plate to that from the look of it.

Looks like problem sorted. Thanks. :)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, that's more the sort of thing. You're apparently better at searching than I, I spent ages and didn't find that, wrong search term I guess. The rear has 4 raised bolt holes so the plate could possibly be stuck straight onto the boot, but the pads would need to be fairly thick which possibly isn't a great idea, so, as long as the holes are in the right position for the above, that should suit nicely.

It will fit, I have it in my watch list as I am considering buying one myself, it is being sold by Newcastle Mercedes, bolt it on and stick the plate in

With the pads just double them up so they clear the pillars.

The existing front plinth is slightly curved, so I'm nervous about using sticky pads for that.

You can easily bend the plate using a hairdryer to heat it, 2 pads at each end and one in the middle will hold it well

I notice that for the front the original holder is still in place and they've screwed their advertising clip open plate holder to it, so I can just remove that and bolt the plate to that from the look of it.

You will also need some countersunk screws to make sure the plinth is secured on the bumper

I would buy some plain number plates without the "GB" and Mercedes stuff on

Metal pressed
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-P...768944&hash=item41d91c3f99:g:VIkAAOSwSwVaYfli

Plastic
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLAIN-Pair-of-Standard-MOT-Compliant-Number-Plates-Front-Back-Car-Van-etc/273082153341?_trkparms=aid=555019&algo=PL.BANDIT&ao=1&asc=43781&meid=e8ba2e48f4004dc2a579b89d51a63da2&pid=100505&rk=1&rkt=1&&itm=273082153341&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

OP
Jeddy

Jeddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 C350e - 2017
It will fit, I have it in my watch list as I am considering buying one myself, it is being sold by Newcastle Mercedes, bolt it on and stick the plate in

With the pads just double them up so they clear the pillars.

You can easily bend the plate using a hairdryer to heat it, 2 pads at each end and one in the middle will hold it well

You will also need some countersunk screws to make sure the plinth is secured on the bumper

I would buy some plain number plates without the "GB" and Mercedes stuff on

Metal pressed
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-P...768944&hash=item41d91c3f99:g:VIkAAOSwSwVaYfli

Plastic
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLAIN-Pair-of-Standard-MOT-Compliant-Number-Plates-Front-Back-Car-Van-etc/273082153341?_trkparms=aid=555019&algo=PL.BANDIT&ao=1&asc=43781&meid=e8ba2e48f4004dc2a579b89d51a63da2&pid=100505&rk=1&rkt=1&&itm=273082153341&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

Thanks again! I'd not noticed that was being sold by MB. At that price I wouldn't have even thought to check. :p

Hmm, I don't have a hair dryer! :p I'll either need to find her's or I do have a heat gun. ;) I'm actually in 2 minds about using sticky pads front and rear anyway, doesn't it make the plates easy to nick, at least if front or back is held on with nick resistant screws etc., it should encourage any undesirables to move onto the next car.

I'm pretty happy with the existing plates, I like the Euro plates - makes it easier travelling abroad (don't need to worry about silly stickers etc.) - not sure if that'll still apply in a year or so's time, maybe they'll tell us we all have to remove our EU plates! The small writing at the bottom of the plate also now says something reasonable like Mercedes-Benz Retail or similar. I think I'd prefer that to whatever they've obscured above. Personal preference on the plates one of course.

Off to ebay now. :)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hmm, I don't have a hair dryer! :p I'll either need to find her's or I do have a heat gun. ;) I'm actually in 2 minds about using sticky pads front and rear anyway, doesn't it make the plates easy to nick, at least if front or back is held on with nick resistant screws etc., it should encourage any undesirables to move onto the next car.

They are easy to bend and will probably have already formed to the curve on the front so sticking them on is easy.

Heat gun will also work

If someone wants the plate badly enough they will take it no matter what, stick them on and enjoy the car

OP
Jeddy

Jeddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 C350e - 2017
If someone wants the plate badly enough they will take it no matter what, stick them on and enjoy the car
You are of course right, I'm more thinking of someone who wants 'a' plate rather than 'my' plate. If I can make my plate harder to nick it may deter the former.

Without knowing how their minds work, I'm guessing someone intent on not being caught for their misdemeanours (speeding, parking etc.) would be looking for a plate from a silver C class and there is hopefully enough of those around that they'll simply move on to the next one or break one of mine in the process of trying to remove it rendering it less useful. I have a feeling that having your plate nicked / cloned is one of those things which isn't a big deal, until it happens to you at which point it can be a nightmare (forever getting stopped, fighting loads of speeding / parking tickets until it gets so much you end up having to change the plate anyway).
Thanks for your help - appreciated. New holder ordered already. :)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You are of course right, I'm more thinking of someone who wants 'a' plate rather than 'my' plate. If I can make my plate harder to nick it may deter the former.

As I said, if they want it they will take it, if they cant take it then they can have some made up and do it that way, not much you can do to stop it either way

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom