British licence and brexit

Paul1948

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 CDI 2003
It has been suggested in a motoring article that the British licence will not be valid in Europe after Brexit and that we will have to get an international licence again after all these years, would be interested if this is implimented. What do othe foum readers think?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I think it’s a load of noise and hot air. A British license is immediately allowable in the US for instance.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
It has been suggested in a motoring article that the British licence will not be valid in Europe after Brexit and that we will have to get an international licence again after all these years, would be interested if this is implimented. What do othe foum readers think?
Just more Brexit hogwash.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
UK qualifications for most things are accepted internationally. Maybe we could start refusing entry to lorry drivers with eastern European licences, most of who are a flippin menace :coffee:

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
If that does turn out to be the case then its simple enough to make it law that European licences are no longer valid in the UK. It works both ways.

I don't believe it will happen either, and its just mischief making by that motoring article.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
In general a licence from any country is valid worldwide (there are some exceptions - Australia for example) for a stay of 6 months to 12 months (again dependent on country).
My NZ licence was valid here for 12 months. My UK licence is valid in NZ for 12 months.
In the Northern Territory I had to get an Australian licence in order to drive (about as difficult as cutting it off the back of a Cornflake packet) but things may have changed since 1987.

Its possible an International licence may be required but unlikely.

3146bj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 B180CDI, 2008 Golf Pacific, 2013 VW Tiguan 103TDI
Sounds like somebody doing a bit of stirring. My Victorian (Oz state) licence is accepted in the UK, the EU and even in Ireland, so why wouldn't a UK licence be OK in the EU?

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As far as I understand it, licences are accepted cross-border, not on the basis of an issuing country's memberships of various trading and political blocs (or indeed lack thereof), but on the basis of underlying requirements and conditions, for obtaining such a licence.

Considering these requirements and conditions shall remain the same in the UK post-Brexit, it is unlikely there will be valid grounds to revoke said acceptance, where already established.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
I have an International Driving Permit, available at a Post Office near you, as they are now called. Need it for Oz apparently, but when I presented it to the car hire co, they wanted my proper UK licence not that paper book thing :rolleyes:

Still, look on the bright side. When you pop off on yer hols via the chunnel or ferry in the future a DL check at the border will allow you to see parts of the Garden of England you'll probably never have seen before as you wend yer way to the border check q that will commence at Manston airfield, where you can use the facilities being set up by the DfT, a row of porta bogs. Forwards o_O

Could be worse. Our Passports might be afforded the same as Isreali stamps as this weeks scaremongering in the meedja. Thats why you have 2 passports!! :cool::cool: Just ensure your journey doesn't stop in an unfriendly state, as like wot I did once. But as said to the jobsworth at border control, 'your political arguments are none of my concern, I'm earning a crust'. :cool:

Hard border, anyone? :rolleyes:

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Apparently the new border post where prolonged and deeply investigative checks will be made is being secretly built in the mid point of the Chunnel.

Likewise, all ferries will be stopped mid Channel for similar checks.

The EU are also insisting that the same applies to cross border plane travel. All existing planes must be retrofitted with hover devices so that they remain stationary while border checks are completed.

At the moment, swimmers are exempt.

That is not fake news!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Like Keefysher I ‘had’ an International Driving Permit (not to be confused with an International driving licence which is a non legal stupid piece of paper which serves no purpose but to LOOK official in certain countries! And is carried in addition to your photo licence)...I need to look it out and see if it’s valid!
Anyway the story is complete tosh

Edit: the IDP is only valid for 12 months so it’s totally expired! I don’t do the long work aways I used to so don’t need it- most countries require it only when you’re likely to be there 3 months or so

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Is the flip side of this, anyone outside of the UK would also require an additional piece of paper to drive here?

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Frankly I hope they are not accepted, then we can send our gunboats and bally well pummel Johnny Foreigner into submission.

Ah, those were the days, what.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Frankly I hope they are not accepted, then we can send our gunboats and bally well pummel Johnny Foreigner into submission.

Ah, those were the days, what.
Now we just need some gunboats.

There’s a monitor in Guz opposite VICTORY. She’d do for starters!

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Just living up to the stereotype that publicity-mongering idiot Cable was proposing.

To be fair he was preaching to the converted.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom