SVH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Estate/1994/M104
Hi!,

I found this forum to be a great resource over the past few months. I'm currently working on my 94 E320 Estate. It's a Southern California car so you wouldn't expect to find any rust, Wrong! I was cleaning one day and noticed a small raised area along the bottom seal along the back quarter window. I peeled back the lip of seal and found rust! I was sick to my stomach. I started peeling back the whole bottom and found 3 areas along the pinch weld where it has secretly been rusting. Some surface rust, some flakey rust. The other side, the same. Yikes! There was no signs or evidence of rust from the exterior.

Since then I've been all over the web researching how to repair this before it gets worse. I found this site where a member "Dude99" has tackled the same problem however I hope my case is no where near his. I really wont know until I remove both windows.

I've purchased new seals and extra clips from the dealer. I think I have all the "other things" to do this repair. Now it's finding the right day or night when I'm mentally ready to "pull the trigger".

Thank all of you for your contribution to this site.
SVH

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi SVH, welcome to the forum. You have just shattered the my vision of Californian cars and rust :)

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
All cars will rust if there is trapped water behind window rubbers or floor mats/carpets.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Hello and welcome :)

OP
S

SVH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Estate/1994/M104
Welcome...
Hi John,
Thanks for the welcome last year. I finally got the rust issue out of the way last month and what a big relief that was. It wasn't as bad as I thought. I replaced all the rubber all the way around from doors, tailgate and the windshield while at it. It was expensive since it was all genuine MBZ parts.

OP
S

SVH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Estate/1994/M104
Hi and welcome
Thanks for the welcome last year in case I didn't thank you then. FYI, I finally got my rust concern addressed last month and what a relief that it's finally done. Have a nice Christmas!

OP
S

SVH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Estate/1994/M104
Hi SVH, welcome to the forum. You have just shattered the my vision of Californian cars and rust :)
Hi AJD,
Thanks for the welcome last year in case I didn't thank you then. I finally got the confidence to pull out my quarter windows last month and thankfully it wasn't as bad as I anticipated. I got it the rust areas treated so it's good as can be. At the same time I replaced new genuine MBZ rubber in the windows, doors and tailgate and with a new windshield. It's all good! Happy Holidays!

OP
S

SVH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Estate/1994/M104
All cars will rust if there is trapped water behind window rubbers or floor mats/carpets.
You're right rifiki! Sorry for the delayed reply from last year. Last month I got the rust issue off my to do list. It was a big job but wasn't as bad as I anticipated. It was a good thing I found it and took care of it. I sleep better now. Happy Holidays!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi and welcome to the forum

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom