Answers FArom The Oil Expert Part # 2

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
My oil was supposed to replaced at the last service (1000 miles ago) and i have my doubts that it has been done , so can the approximate age / mileage of an oil be determined by analyzing a sample ?

If so, can you recommend a UK company ?

Many thanks.

Kenny

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
My oil was supposed to replaced at the last service (1000 miles ago) and i have my doubts that it has been done , so can the approximate age / mileage of an oil be determined by analyzing a sample ?

If so, can you recommend a UK company ?

Many thanks.

Kenny
Would the oil filter give a clue ? ( different make to previous one ?)

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On the OM642 diesel engine it has a cartridge filter , so without removing it then you would never know. Plus it should say MB on it.

I am having some "issues" with my low mileage engine in the CLS and recently had a chat with a local Indy who raised some concerns as to the servicing that has been carried out , or not (possibly)

Kenny

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On the OM642 diesel engine it has a cartridge filter , so without removing it then you would never know. Plus it should say MB on it.

Kenny
Same as mine . So do you think an MB garage didn't change the oil , or a non MB garage using MB parts didn't change the oil .

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Same as mine . So do you think an MB garage didn't change the oil , or a non MB garage using MB parts didn't change the oil .

Main dealer , as part of their service plan.

Car has been serviced by MB for the last four years , i caught them out two years ago regarding their servicing ethics and i had a face to face with the servicing manager about their work.

I would have went elsewhere within the group to have it serviced but alas the pi$$ poor servicing seems seems to be part of the management / workshop training.

Kenny

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Main dealer , as part of their service plan.

Car has been serviced by MB for the last four years , i caught them out two years ago regarding their servicing ethics and i had a face to face with the servicing manager about their work.

I would have went elsewhere within the group to have it serviced but alas the pi$$ poor servicing seems seems to be part of the management / workshop training.

Kenny
It's all very worrying buddy , hope you find your answers .

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's all very worrying buddy , hope you find your answers .

The answer maybe in the form of a BMW 440i if it turns out to be a major event , cant be ar$ed with the grief of MB ownership anymore as the CLS Grand Edition has been the most Prestigious / expensive / best looking / problematic / unreliable car i have ever owned since i started driving 33 years ago.

There is no fun in owning something when you are just waiting on something else going wrong each time it is driven.

I should know where i stand within the next couple of weeks.

Kenny

Last edited:

ssheikh93

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220d
What would be the very best oil for my w213 e220d? Om654 engine. I do roughly 800 miles a week, mainly in traffic!

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Normally my default answer is VW 507.00 as protection is higher plus better for the dpf .

But doing that mileage you want something fuel efficient too
( unless someone else is paying for it ! ) so 229.52 , luckily some oils carry both specs , best of both worlds .

shopping.jpeg
20201125_211258.jpg

Screenshot_20210107-154548_Chrome.jpg

20200721_174852.jpg

Last edited:

ssheikh93

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220d
Normally my default answer is VW 507.00 as protection is higher plus better for the dpf .

But doing that mileage you want something fuel efficient too
( unless someone else is paying for it ! ) so 229.52 , luckily some oils carry both specs , best of both worlds .

View attachment 64565
View attachment 64562

View attachment 64563

View attachment 64564
Thanks, never heard of mannol, what about
Mobil 1™ ESP 5W-30?

I'm getting a new timing chain fitted so engine will be out and looked at too so I'm looking to only use the best oil I can get

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Castrol , Mobil 1 etc...

Engine oil is the most bizarre and most confusing thing ever on car forums , so down the rabbit hole I went !

Initially to conclude on a 10 year VW oil spec war .

People get blinked on brand somehow thinking it is of higher quality than something else , 'top brands' have all sorts of marketing bumf all over the containers

" Extra , superior , exceptional , innovative , ultimate , maxlife technology...

And this can be for the most mundane , dated , poor manufacturers specs that I wouldn't even use as a flushing oil .

They're allowed to say or claim whatever they like to a point .

Castrol is particularly funny as their USP is showing you what all oils have /contain /do anyway .

And why do they do that ?
Massive overheads with R&D , advertising , sponsorship and attaining manufacturer approvals all to market a like product at the top price .

Now the cheapest I've ever see Mobil 1 5W30 ESP Formula 5L is over £37 , Castrol are crafty doing 4L bottles !

So what's the crack ? The crack is I've been mainly using for 8 years in a high mileage PD engine a like supermarket ( Asda ) VW 504.00 507.00 ' meets or exceeds the requirements of...'

Why would I cheap out like that , because I found out the oil blender buys from a main oil producer the ingredients namely oil basestocks and additive packages and with these same industry standards makes the manufacturer spec to the same industry standard recipe to achieve that spec , with 504.00 507.00 there is no short cuts to achieve what I have found to be the best most complete manufacturers specs in the world !

Very few disclose oil basestock groups used.

If something isn't as it should be we have VLS
https://ukla-vls.org.uk/

And this same Asda oil blender supplies G-Force , Carlube Triple R , Sainsbury's , Tesco , Euro Car Parts Triple QX and possibly Halfords .

If it were not as it should be my PD camshaft would be worn .

Instead I enjoy DIY cheap , low mileage , 6 month oil changes .

And it's the same crack with Supermarket fuel all comes from the same place only difference is will be the fractional in quantity additive package , in the case of diesel additive package an important ingredient is 2-EHN to boost Cetane number of the derv , which makes Premium diesel a con as Cetane number is not disclosed with either diesel fuels .

Instead I boost Supermarket derv with my own cheap as chips additive package .

20201102_160133.jpg

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
A veteran Halfords employee said to me that when they started just two engine oils were on the shelf , the same has happened with hair shampoo , lol .

I now know why people choose to live on park benches .

ssheikh93

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220d
Castrol , Mobil 1 etc...

Engine oil is the most bizarre and most confusing thing ever on car forums , so down the rabbit hole I went !

Initially to conclude on a 10 year VW oil spec war .

People get blinked on brand somehow thinking it is of higher quality than something else , 'top brands' have all sorts of marketing bumf all over the containers

" Extra , superior , exceptional , innovative , ultimate , maxlife technology...

And this can be for the most mundane , dated , poor manufacturers specs that I wouldn't even use as a flushing oil .

They're allowed to say or claim whatever they like to a point .

Castrol is particularly funny as their USP is showing you what all oils have /contain /do anyway .

And why do they do that ?
Massive overheads with R&D , advertising , sponsorship and attaining manufacturer approvals all to market a like product at the top price .

Now the cheapest I've ever see Mobil 1 5W30 ESP Formula 5L is over £37 , Castrol are crafty doing 4L bottles !

So what's the crack ? The crack is I've been mainly using for 8 years in a high mileage PD engine a like supermarket ( Asda ) VW 504.00 507.00 ' meets or exceeds the requirements of...'

Why would I cheap out like that , because I found out the oil blender buys from a main oil producer the ingredients namely oil basestocks and additive packages and with these same industry standards makes the manufacturer spec to the same industry standard recipe to achieve that spec , with 504.00 507.00 there is no short cuts to achieve what I have found to be the best most complete manufacturers specs in the world !

Very few disclose oil basestock groups used.

If something isn't as it should be we have VLS
https://ukla-vls.org.uk/

And this same Asda oil blender supplies G-Force , Carlube Triple R , Sainsbury's , Tesco , Euro Car Parts Triple QX and possibly Halfords .

If it were not as it should be my PD camshaft would be worn .

Instead I enjoy DIY cheap , low mileage , 6 month oil changes .

And it's the same crack with Supermarket fuel all comes from the same place only difference is will be the fractional in quantity additive package , in the case of diesel additive package an important ingredient is 2-EHN to boost Cetane number of the derv , which makes Premium diesel a con as Cetane number is not disclosed with either diesel fuels .

Instead I boost Supermarket derv with my own cheap as chips additive package .

View attachment 64576
Very interesting, I'd like to know your process of using supermarket fuel and use of additives.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
With the May 2018 mot derv smoke opacity changes previously 3.00 limit now a VIN sticker value of 0.60 to attain unfairly on a 2003 vehicle , it's next model run out 2009 is 1.00 !

So I looked back at the last mot and it was blowing 1.00 so now a potential fail .

Looking further back and pre to my ownership it was 2.00 with 1.50 being recorded in late 2014 which corrosponded with my occasional / every other tank of JASO FB spec 2T starting earlier that year .

I then probably around early 2015 I decided to dose every tank and from then on the tests mean was 1.00 so 2T had halved my smoke opacity .

But still at 1.00 there was work to do , and the real culprit was an original thermostat , then from then on it blows below 0.35 :)

I was given 5L of 2-EHN a bonifide Cetane booster so I add 200ml 2T and 40ml of
2-EHN in pre made up used 250ml Redex bottles .

mercman111

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 clk 350 petrol
oilman i have a 53reg 270 cdi clk with 149000 miles on,which oil do you recomend

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Tim from Opie Oils hasn't been seen here for over a year .

I've personally had conversations with Tim and Guy.

Offical handbook manufacturer spec will be probably 229.31 , then improved upon and superceded by 229.51 which was superceded by 229.52 which only improved economy further and oxidative thickening .

These specs are often found within the 'other' higher manufacturer spec I mention thus superior film strength could be yours .

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom