127mph and no ban?

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Sensible Magistrates reading the circumstances, the car was 100% safe at that speed as it could stop quicker than a normal vehicle travelling at 70mph..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
Sensible Magistrates reading the circumstances, the car was 100% safe at that speed as it could stop quicker than a normal vehicle travelling at 70mph..

Agreed.

OP
dry run

dry run

Reaction score
Website
kb-boatpark.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 350d AMG LIne Premium Plus

I kind of agree with you and I'm not saying you're wrong, but there's something that seems not quite right. If I have a "better car" I can beat the system because of that?

Should I get a lighter sentence for shoplifting just because I could easily afford to buy the stuff I nicked?

Interesting...................

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I kind of agree with you and I'm not saying you're wrong, but there's something that seems not quite right. If I have a "better car" I can beat the system because of that?

Should I get a lighter sentence for shoplifting just because I could easily afford to buy the stuff I nicked?

I tend to agree.

We do not know the full circumstances such as traffic volume at the time...but that should only be a mitigating factor in the size of the fine and the length of the ban. If he was overtaking at the time...ban, no ifs or buts.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

Great! I'll do 100mph in my SL with impunity in future as its clearly so much more capable than all those Astras and Focuses that 70mph limit is really meant for....
;)

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.

The problem is not how quickly it can stop (and I doubt it can stop in the same distance at 127 as my car at 70) but the reactions of other cars and the problem when something else goes wrong where braking is the least of your problems. Do you really believe any car is safer at 127 than 70, no matter what the car?

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014

I think you might be a little selective, take into consideration the fact it is a Motorway, he was overtaking at the time, he was only on the road for charity purposes, without his Licence many would lose their jobs as his business would close, he previously had 0 points on his licence and no previous offences, without his Licence charities would lose out as well as the fact he was driving at half the speed the car was designed to do, I think to ban him would have been a travesty, especially when other European Nations do not have speed limits on their equivalent roads.

Looking at your shopping analysis, if Elon Musk was caught leaving a shop without paying for groceries and pleaded forgetfullness/oversight and a street beggar did the same, who would you be more likely to believe?

This man normally uses a transporter for the charity events, he couldn't this time so rather than the charity missing out he (unfortunately for him) decided to drive!

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Should have been banned, the same as anyone else doing that speed on a public road.

Besides if he gets his car transportered everywhere he doesn’t need a licence anyway to show his support of the charities.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand

No.

Doing nearly twice the speed of other traffic he would have come on then much too quickly for them to react.

I'm doing 70, approaching a lorry doing 60, I look behind me, there's a slight bend so I can only see a certain way back, but enough so I know there's noone doing normal speeds about to come up behind us. So I pull out. Only to find some idiot doing twice my speed has just run into the back of me.

Save it for the track.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
No.

Doing nearly twice the speed of other traffic he would have come on then much too quickly for them to react.

I'm doing 70, approaching a lorry doing 60, I look behind me, there's a slight bend so I can only see a certain way back, but enough so I know there's noone doing normal speeds about to come up behind us. So I pull out. Only to find some idiot doing twice my speed has just run into the back of me.

Save it for the track.
But he was overtaking a single lorry, we are talking seconds from 70-127 back to 70, doesn't seem to cause any issues on Autobahns.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I think you might be a little selective, take into consideration the fact it is a Motorway, he was overtaking at the time, he was only on the road for charity purposes, without his Licence many would lose their jobs as his business would close, he previously had 0 points on his licence and no previous offences, without his Licence charities would lose out as well as the fact he was driving at half the speed the car was designed to do, I think to ban him would have been a travesty, especially when other European Nations do not have speed limits on their equivalent roads.

Looking at your shopping analysis, if Elon Musk was caught leaving a shop without paying for groceries and pleaded forgetfullness/oversight and a street beggar did the same, who would you be more likely to believe?

This man normally uses a transporter for the charity events, he couldn't this time so rather than the charity missing out he (unfortunately for him) decided to drive!

I'm calling BS on this one...

Without his licence he would employ an HGV driver he wouldn't fold his business...that's just nonsense.

"He was overtaking at the time"...I would throw him in jail for that alone. Imagine the approach speed to an unsuspecting driver at 127mph. Empty motorway is one thing...overtaking is reckless, not least because in this country it is totally unexpected unlike in Germany.

Dead people are just as dead whether or not the driver is charitable.

How unfortunate...he had to drive a very highly desirable car!

Last edited:

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
But he was overtaking a single lorry, we are talking seconds from 70-127 back to 70, doesn't seem to cause any issues on Autobahns.

As I said...expected on an Autobahn. How do we know there was only one lorry on the road and no one else...we don't. And where does it say 70-127-70. And even if it does....he's on a m'way why does he need to?

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Yes he was a lucky man, but it is very easy to exceed the speed limit in a car like that, you tend to forget these can hit the max speed limits within seconds and though there's no excuse for it, it's the sheer thrill of the overtake manoeuvre and power out weighs the brain function. Been there done that! :eek:

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
People can complain all they want. The bottom line is, if you have enough financial backing and a good lawyer, you will walk from it.
No matter what the view points of others are, simple fact is that money talks.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
He was indeed very fortunate. The sentence he recieved was within the guidelines that Magistrates have to stick to. Whilst they can deviate a little there has to be very exceptional circumstances in doing so;

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/item/speeding-revised-2017/

The offence does not carry a custodial sentence so he couldnt be imprisoned for it in any event. The fine that was imposed was roughly 150% (Band C) of his weekley income that he would have declared to the court. I somehow doubt his pay is £800pw myself.

The stretch of road near Horndean is an A road I believe (A3).

BTW Shoplifting under £200 is a very separate offence and can in no way be compared to a speeding issue.
'Maximum: 7 years’ custody (except for an offence of low-value shoplifting which is treated as a summary only offence in accordance with section 22A of the Magistrates’ Courts Act 1980 where the maximum is 6 months’ custody)
Offence range: Discharge – 3 years’ custody'

Last edited:
Top Bottom