Start digging, who knows what you might find

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
A neighbour told me apparently, there was a Ford Model T under the patio of our last house, story was the body cut up & was laid out flat, chassis etc all in there!

Never looked, but some of the other Heath-Robinson stuff the guy did in the house kinda made me think it was probably true.

Some of his marvels included:-
Wrapping the element of an old electric blanket around the pipe work and cold water tank in the loft...”any cold weather, just hit this switch in the airing cupboard and you’ll have no problems......”
(First thing I disconnected)

And a homage to a Roman/Greek temple fireplace, flattened Doric columns made with guttering flanked the foam(?) ancient stone facade.... which was all painted “sunburst orange” along with all the woodwork, as he found it cheerful. The walls were a lighter tangerine of course.

He was an old chap, and proud of his home, I made polite comments, and just had skips delivered the day we got the keys :)

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
About 30 years ago my mate moved into a brand new house. The rear garden was a mess so he started digging to level it out for top soil and turfing. About a foot down he came across a shiny yellow plate, the more he dug the more plate he found. Turned out after getting the building contractors in that someone had buried an entire JCB excavator in the garden! There was no room to drag the thing out so it had to be cut up bit by bit.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Wasn't uncommon back then to just bury old cars at the end of the garden. Found them at different friends houses over the years when replacing fence posts and the like. The were often dumped into holes that had been dug out for bomb shelters during the war.

PINBALL

Reaction score
Website
www.coin-opcommunity.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 E230 / 124 E220 /124 E280 /210 E320 CDI Wagons
Remember back in the 80s the M23 was being built / developed, and in local cafe a story that a massive bulldozer - the biggest - vanished overnight, but discovered it had dropped into a sink hole the next day.

Only way to retrieve was to get more heavy equipment in, but because of time to finish pressures, decided to just fill in the hole and claim on insurance.

So if you ever drive along the M23 / 25, there may be a ghost or two of rumbling machinery buried!

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
Around Southampton there are lots of holes filled with Yanks tanks

Nope, not slang for cars, genuine WWII Sherman's and other's that after D day and the war they just didn't want, so they found the nearest dip, crater or quarry and parked them up before covering them over.

Most munitions were removed.....

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Wasn't uncommon back then to just bury old cars at the end of the garden.

Been there done that............:shock:
Guess it ran in the family, Dad used a lot of his old motor bikes as hard fill to help build a concrete foundation for a terrace.Those 1930's Triumphs, Matchless and BSA's bikes would be a fortune, it will be a while before the old cars I used will be worth anything though :rolleyes:

Tony MB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Benz CLK 240 Elegance 2003 V6 petrol
Near where i live there used to be an American army base at Burtonwood Warrington, and local stories are that when the Yanks were closing it down they buried loads of machinery,tools and lots of Jeeps still brand new.
The Americans said it would be too financially and time costly to ship them home.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom