Jaguar owner in transition

Emmo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class
Hi Guys. I have had three Jaguars and now the time has come to jump ship, having had my last Jag for just one year with a catalogue of faults and repairs I'm fed up with spending money on it.

So, it's time to look at a Mercs! I like the look of the C Class, but not being very knowledgeable about these cars I would appreciate some help in telling me what used model to go for. The Jag I own at the moment is a 2.7 twin turbo V6 diesel, so I'm looking for similar performance. I'd like a petrol this time, as I'm fed up with EGR, DPF and all that goes with it.

Sat nav is a must, and I'd like leather seats with seat warmers. Auto wipers and lights would be nice too as I'm used to those extras. I really like the SLK convertible, but (this is important) I need to get my drum kit in it! Not bothered about 4 doors, but need a reasonable boot space with some other capacity behind the front seats whether it be rear seats or a void behind to put cases etc.

So, help please in deciding what model I need. Price wise I'd be looking circa £10 - £12k.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Tricky finding a 350 petrol in this country...

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Welcome!

You may have a problem with moving over to petrol, like Jaguar, Mercedes have focussed on diesel engines over the last five years and finding a petrol equivalent is nigh on impossible in a V6 form, some have moved on to the V8 due to this if you are hardcore enough to buy an AMG. There is hope the new E class comes with a petrol V6 as the E400 but current cost is circa £45k s/h although they will depreciate that doesn’t help you at the moment.

I would certainly look at the Merc OM642 diesel in the C/E Class it has been in production over 10 years in different guises and all variants are giving good service

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
C350CDI 265PS variant is the one to look for. Very refined, remapped it will see 300PS and 700 N.m.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Emmo, welcome to the forum.:) Yeah, not many 350 petrols around at all. C63's ? no chance at all at your budget I'm afraid. Good luck with your search but I feel a compromise coming on :)

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Welcome from another ex XF owner (we're you on the owners forum)?

Like you I moved over to Petrol for similar reasons plus the fact that the government seems to be planning forced castration of all diesel owners in the not too distant future!

V8 is a nice way to go if you can, SLK great little GT my daughter loves hers but I guess you would have to trade that drum kit for an electronic version!

In your budget an SL may prove unreliable, bear in mind the Mercedes equivalent to the XF is the E class so you may want to take a look there?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

OP
E

Emmo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class
Welcome from another ex XF owner (we're you on the owners forum)?

Like you I moved over to Petrol for similar reasons plus the fact that the government seems to be planning forced castration of all diesel owners in the not too distant future!

V8 is a nice way to go if you can, SLK great little GT my daughter loves hers but I guess you would have to trade that drum kit for an electronic version!

In your budget an SL may prove unreliable, bear in mind the Mercedes equivalent to the XF is the E class so you may want to take a look there?

Yes I was (well, still am actually) on the Jag owner's forum. I have an S type, not an XF however, similar beasts albeit different body shells. I was looking for something smaller in the Mercs, but the fact petrol versions are rare is putting me off somewhat. As you said, forced castration of diesel owners seems evident very soon.

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
And here's me thinking about changing my C280 for a late S type Jag. It seems the op has been unlucky with his Jag, since most of the owner reviews I've looked at seem to be very positive.
However my C280 has just passed its mot yet again with 1 minor advisory and I'm seriously considering hanging on to it, even though I'd quite like a change after driving it for 10 years !

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Yes I was (well, still am actually) on the Jag owner's forum. I have an S type, not an XF however, similar beasts albeit different body shells. I was looking for something smaller in the Mercs, but the fact petrol versions are rare is putting me off somewhat. As you said, forced castration of diesel owners seems evident very soon.
The S type was worse than the XF, I bought a 3.0se brand new and it spent more time back at the dealership than on my drive, it had the dreaded gearbox lurch and dumped the seat memories more times than I can remember, sold it after 1 year of ownership and took a huge loss.

The idea of the seats setting themselves automatically when you unlocked the car by the programming on the key fob was a brilliant idea though when working, not found it on any other car or brand since..

There are petrols around you just need to search..

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
And here's me thinking about changing my C280 for a late S type Jag. It seems the op has been unlucky with his Jag, since most of the owner reviews I've looked at seem to be very positive.
However my C280 has just passed its mot yet again with 1 minor advisory and I'm seriously considering hanging on to it, even though I'd quite like a change after driving it for 10 years !
The XF is overall more reliable than the S Type in my experience if not corrected the gearbox lurch will drive you mad. My XF never went wrong but think you will find the Merc a safer bet.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
The idea of the seats setting themselves automatically when you unlocked the car by the programming on the key fob was a brilliant idea though when working, not found it on any other car or brand since..

My fathers BMW does it

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
That is nice apart from the Grille
Hideous, something approaching a couple of hundred quid needed to restore it back to standard ? :( Could do just the grille though ?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hideous, something approaching a couple of hundred quid needed to restore it back to standard ? :( Could do just the grille though ?

Easy to replace it with the proper grille

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Only trouble with the C and EV6s is they are in the colossal tax bracket, 540 quid. Love my V6s but hate paying tax.

The four cylinders are lower tax but still in the 200s and even in C/E250 form are only 200bhp.

Hate to say it but if performance and kit is what you want you might be best with a 2.0 BMW 328 Luxury, 245bhp but much lower tax than the MBs.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only trouble with the C and EV6s is they are in the colossal tax bracket, 540 quid. Love my V6s but hate paying tax.

The four cylinders are lower tax but still in the 200s and even in C/E250 form are only 200bhp.

Hate to say it but if performance and kit is what you want you might be best with a 2.0 BMW 328 Luxury, 245bhp but much lower tax than the MBs.

Or you have to spend a bit more to get a later model

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...ice-asc&radius=1500&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&page=1

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
Yep, the later (more powerful and more efficient) M276 is the one to hunt down

Tax varies from 190 to 220
And over 300bhp!
(like that e class estate)

They are out there. ....

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom