Should I Stay or Should I Go?

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 AMG Sport Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
My Brilliant Blue S205 C220d premium plus estate July 2015 is coming to the end of PCP the final value is £20000 Its got privacy glass, airmatic suspension and has only covered 11000 miles, its in perfect condition.

I do love it but do I give it back because its diesel, 3 years old and out of warranty in July or pay the £20k and keep it.

I tried a VW T Roc 1.5 DSG and quite liked it but with all the bells and whistles its a shade under £30k
I would like to get away from PCP.

The other alternative is to buy something 2nd hand around £10k (Nearly new Focus, 10year old Merc Petrol, or even a golf 1.4 DSG.

Please throw your hat in the ring and offer me some advice, good or bad, just need some help.

Cheers Guys and Gals

tc smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk350 (R171)
Been mulling the same sort of thing myself, have a 14 yr old C320 estate and almost went for a £25k Golf R Estate (2 yr old) but balked at the cost per year of ownership vs driving miles/enjoyment, since then I have the £20k but can make a case for an older (cheaper) car or a PCP (or newer), the deciding factor seems to be how willing I am to commit the cash. Having run older cars you save money initially, but have to live with wear, breakages and the gradual decay of paint/trim/features (auto wipers:) whereas the newer car should do away with the negatives but is the expensive route. Just last week the C320 had a little ding in the multi-storey which had me thinking about just how annoyed I'd be if it was a 20k car, bad enough I spent 550 having a parking shunt and bonnet spray repair a month back, maybe I'll live with the old banger (not the wife) .

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
One question, if you are prepared to pay £20k to keep the Merc, why only £10k for a secondhand car?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I do love it but do I give it back because its diesel, 3 years old and out of warranty in July

Neither of those are good reasons to give it back BUT what is it worth on the open market?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Not much of a dilemma in my eyes you obviously really like the car and as it’s only covered 11k miles is still like new, the main criteria is whether it still suits your needs, if so keep it and if you need the security of a an extended warranty take one out with MB.

Hope this helps!

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Why not keep it for another year? Is it on an MB PCP? Possible to take it for another year if it is. Re-jig the annual mileage if you are below the original figure. Do you get a rebate if under, as 11k in 3 years is very low.

Struggling to understand what diesel has to do with it other than you hardly do enough miles to justify a diesel.

To add to the mix. MrsP has just ordered a new Qashqai 1.2 petrol, 8k per annum, on a PCP with 16% discount, £500 deposit contribution and free detachable tow bar for a bike rack at sensible per month fee. For her daily commute of 17 miles plus running around. Replaces her 8 year old Fiat 500C that has only done 36k miles on short journeys. Worked out at £15 per week of ownership.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
My wacky logic.

If one is considering a New car, then diesel may be a factor.
But when one is considering any 3 year old car, in 2015 diesel wasnt a Big thing.

The DVLA has always had a policy of maintaining tax brackets related to the original tax. So I doubt they will murder diesel owners.

The important thing is you know the car, I assume its an absolute peach!
11,000 is excellent mileage, she is not even fully run in.

So imo the only question is what is the current value of that car if its £20,000 or more ... I would keep it!
Even if it was £19,000 I would probably keep her, on the basis I know I have never abused it, or bodged anything.

The other element is, all cars things wear out ... if one considered 7,000 p.a. To be reasonably low mileage, most 3 year olds would have done 21,000. So you have hopefully 10,000 worth of “free parts miles” .
On your current mileage if you kept it 2 more years it would only have done 18,500 miles
... still under the magic 20,000 low mileage ceiling!

Or put another way ... I am looking for a 5 year old CL63 Amg. If I heard of one with 18,500 miles one owner, full service history, garaged .... boy would I be interested! And I would expect to pay top dollar for it, especially if they kept up the MB warranty ( so one knows there was no reason for them to skimp on anything!)

All above assumes ... you love the car.

OP
ioweddie

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
One question, if you are prepared to pay £20k to keep the Merc, why only £10k for a secondhand car?

I need to pay £20k to keep the Mercedes, but worry about it getting damaged and its future depreciation due to the anti diesel brigade, a £10k anything will not depreciate as much and not such a worry if its gets damaged. I hope that makes sense

OP
ioweddie

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the input so far, some really good advice and I'm taking it all in.

OP
ioweddie

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Neither of those are good reasons to give it back BUT what is it worth on the open market?

Somewhere between the £20k and about £22k as an asking price, but the stigma of diesel and finding someone with that sort of cash as a private sale, most people would stick to dealer for peace of mind, warranty, finance etc

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
My main question which hasn’t been addressed yet is how long would you keep it (all things equal) if you do buy it for 20k ish?
As said you obviously like the car, it’s a known quantity to you.
If you are intending to keep for 3 years or more then it’s a no brainer IMO, depreciation worries become less of an issue and would be a better prospect than a 10k ‘average’ car you’ve mentioned.
If you like a nice new car every 3 years or less then it’s a different story

tc smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk350 (R171)
Why not keep it for another year? Is it on an MB PCP? Possible to take it for another year if it is. Re-jig the annual mileage if you are below the original figure. Do you get a rebate if under, as 11k in 3 years is very low.

Struggling to understand what diesel has to do with it other than you hardly do enough miles to justify a diesel.

To add to the mix. MrsP has just ordered a new Qashqai 1.2 petrol, 8k per annum, on a PCP with 16% discount, £500 deposit contribution and free detachable tow bar for a bike rack at sensible per month fee. For her daily commute of 17 miles plus running around. Replaces her 8 year old Fiat 500C that has only done 36k miles on short journeys. Worked out at £15 per week of ownership.
Interested in how you get a new £24k car at £60 per month, a quick look at Nissan shows 199 per month with a 6k deposit, is this with a main dealer or a lease coy ?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interested in how you get a new £24k car at £60 per month, a quick look at Nissan shows 199 per month with a 6k deposit, is this with a main dealer or a lease coy ?

Loads of cheap leases about at the moment, we were offered a Citroen C1 for £1000 deposit and £9.99 a month for 24 months!!!

Guy in our office just got a Scirocco GT DSG for £180 (Inc VAT) per month on a 6+23 deal

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.

Who said £60 per month for a £24k car?

My text of £15 per week was about the cost over 8 years ownership of the Fiat. Note ownership, not lease or loan ;)

The deal we used had no deposit, other than the Nissan £500 contribution, 16% off and a free £500 tow bar; through the CAMC. Hence discounting the £199 per month with the £6.75k deposit as advertised on the telly. No point putting cash money into a new car.

Its a whole different game these days on 'using' a car for a fee over a time period, rather than buying :geek:

Cleck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EQC 400
What stigma????? Yours is Eu6 so nothing to worry about, just water and fluffy bunnies come out of it, the stigma is for Eu1-4 cars which are filthy

I agree entirely; unfortunately, not everyone is as rational. My Sister-in-law has just asked for my help looking for a new car to replace her 10 year old S-max and I started looking for her chosen model of a <2 yr old C-max and I was looking for a diesel engine because of her mileage and her desire to make savings on consumption. She said she shouldn't get a diesel because they will be 'priced off the road' imminently, so she wants a petrol. The quoted figures for the two options for urban are 35 mpg petrol and 54 mpg diesel, which based on even 12000 miles a year would be a saving of over £600 in fuel alone.

I've just bought a 2yr old E220 diesel and I'm chuffed to bits with it, I quite fancied a petrol but they're few and far between and carry a hefty premium (I suspect becasue of the general attitude of 'diesel is bad' perpetrated by the press).

Last edited:

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 '63 E350 coupe amg sport
I suspect the next budget will give some (or a better) indication how much the govt intend to persecute modern diesel car owners....
I’m in the same boat - I want to stay diesel (2/3yr old), but fear the tax man! :mad:

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
What stigma????? Yours is Eu6 so nothing to worry about, just water and fluffy bunnies come out of it, the stigma is for Eu1-4 cars which are filthy

I really cant see them crucifying EU6 style diesels.
Be a brave party that did that. Firstly they would have to scap every old bus, bin lorry etc to sound coherent

TBH I personally don't like em, stupid prejudice, I dont like the clatter, who needs AD blue , regeneration etc.
But I have nothing against them.

I,d really like to see an objective “echo analysis” of whats the carbon foot print over 10 years of just phasing in new style diesels versus a complete swap out of every diesel replaced by new petrol cars!

And a similar one for electric cars, but with all the negatives, damage to the environment mining all the minerals used in these batteries, early scrapping cars that have been in a prang, and the long term disposal issues of how we recycle these batteries.
Not to mention, speak to some of my wife’s “mothers against guns” echo warrior mates. The way they see it, is diesel is a filthy killer technology. And electricity is fabulous “free stuff” ... just magically appears in these electric cars! ( what you have to make electricity good Lord No! ).

The only risk is if you live in Gengis Khan territory ... that mad bastard would say anything or do anything that delivers a nice sound bite! So he might just ban you in London.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
And a similar one for electric cars, but with all the negatives, damage to the environment mining all the minerals used in these batteries, early scrapping cars that have been in a prang, and the long term disposal issues of how we recycle these batteries.
To be fair you'd have to do the same comparison for all motive power technologies to get a level playing field.
In terms of lifetime carbon footprints there are already studies out there that show that even using coal as the source for power generation an electric car has a smaller carbon footprint cradle to grave than any ICE technology. Electric can be nearly completely carbon zero in terms of running costs compared to ICE whereas an ICE is virtually impossible to get carbon footprints lower.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
TBH I personally don't like em, stupid prejudice, I dont like the clatter, who needs AD blue , regeneration etc.

Clatter is why I have a V6 CDi, there is none, Regen is not really noticeable, Ad Blue just gets the emissions down

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom