E350 w212 2010 Stuttering take off problem

cruiser

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 CLK 220 CDi Avantgarde ...gone - 2009 E320 CDi Sport - gone. Current 2010 E350 w212 CDi sport.
Hi All. I have a 2010 w212 E350 sport which has had a 'stuttering start' problem since I acquired it about six months ago. It has 60,000 miles and has been fully serviced by MB since new.

I have seen other forums discussing the same problem I have on E classes, but none has come up with any real solution.

So to describe the problem.......imagine sitting at a junction, waiting for a suitable opportunity to enter the main road. Your foot is on the brake pedal (not using the 'hold' function), and you see a chance to go. You slide your foot from the brake to the throttle and put your foot down......and nothing happens for about one full second. It doesn't make any difference whether you lightly touch the throttle, or if you floor it. Nothing happens for, what seems like, a long time. It might only be one second, but it's frightening seeing traffic looming down on you, with them thinking 'oh, he's stopped and is waiting for me to go past before he joins this road' only to suddenly take off after the one second delay!

Now, if the car is moving at all, even just 1 or 2 mph, when I put my foot down there is no hesitation at all. But if the car is stationary there will be the delay. Some forums have suggested that if the car is in 'C' mode (comfort mode?) it will take off from a standing start in 2nd gear and that causes the delay, but I have checked that and it starts in 1st.

The peculiar thing is that, imagine you are at the same junction mentioned earlier. If I employ the foot brake 'hold' function I can take off without any delay whatsoever. As soon as I put my foot down the car takes off - no hesitation.

If anyone has any suggestions what the issue might be, I would be very appreciative! I love the car other than this annoying, potentially dangerous trait.

Thanks.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Use the hold function, that’s what it’s for, can’t imagine why you wouldn’t ?

OP
C

cruiser

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 CLK 220 CDi Avantgarde ...gone - 2009 E320 CDi Sport - gone. Current 2010 E350 w212 CDi sport.
Thanks John. It's difficult to explain the situations in which you might come to a stop, but immediately want to put your foot down and go again....there's no time to put the foot brake 'hold' function on - you just need to go again. I'm sure that the car isn't designed to have such a pause before reacting to the throttle being opened.
Any other thoughts as to what the issue might be please?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Will be interesting to hear from others with the 350 engine as to whether they have any similar issues.
There are plenty with that engine in here, it’s well loved!
Only things I can think of without diagnostic back up would be turbo spool or gearbox or throttle position sensor- I will try the same on mine next time out but it’s unlikely to be representative

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
In the 212 350 I tried yesterday I have to admit there was no hesitation, have tried seeing the difference between c and s mode, could be the flat spot in c mode in low revs. Does sound like its either going to be map related for c mode or maybe slight tps calibration needed

OP
C

cruiser

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In the 212 350 I tried yesterday I have to admit there was no hesitation, have tried seeing the difference between c and s mode, could be the flat spot in c mode in low revs. Does sound like its either going to be map related for c mode or maybe slight tps calibration needed
Thanks V6Matty. The problem is the same whether in C or S mode.

OP
C

cruiser

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is a well documented problem associated with the early 212 cars with 7sp g/b, something to do with a decoupling device, suggest you read the link apparently there is a software fix, the later 7sp+ was ok

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/index.php?threads/new-e-class-350-hesitation-problem.67841/page-3
Thanks Malcolm. The problem described therein is exactly the one I have (not me personally). Is the software fix that you mention something that a good Indy could do via Star, or does it have to go to an MB dealership? Thanks.

occurs_to_me

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1976 W114 250 Manual, 2009 W212 E220 CDI Auto
FWIW I have the same problem on a 2009, w212, e220, 5 speed auto box.
I’ve always just presumed that it was just the way they were.
It always happens when you don’t want it to.
Like, when you meet another car on a road too narrow for 2 cars, and it’s obvious that it’s up to you to do the decent thing.
You stop, put it in reverse, accelerator down and........nothing.
Meanwhile other driver is thinking “twat, when is he going to move”.
Eventually, car has a little think about things, and eventually decides to move.
But, by any this time, you have naturally pressed your foot to your the floor in the hope of making it move, so when it does, your off like a scalded cat.

Same applies when going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

B king

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270 2003 cdi(gone) / E350 Sport/ C63 (sons)/GLC daughter
This has been hinted at but for what its worth, mine sometimes behaves in a similer fashion . I believe that it has to do with the way the gbox learns your driving style and behaves accordingly, for example, 95% of the time ,mine is in E (economy) mode so the changes are steady and the throttle response sluggish aswell, u suddenly then ask for revs at a roundabout or whatever just as theres that gap and its as if the car says no...? what really ..? u don't drive like that ..? ohh u do want power...etc etc, by this time , perhaps a second at most but seems an eternity..! then u get the response... . However I find no such delay if the mode is in sport...perhaps try a gearbox re-set which shud start the process from scratch, have seen a vid on youtube showing how to do it...very simple , but cant quite remember. give it a go, its cost free ..!!

OP
C

cruiser

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This has been hinted at but for what its worth, mine sometimes behaves in a similer fashion . I believe that it has to do with the way the gbox learns your driving style and behaves accordingly, for example, 95% of the time ,mine is in E (economy) mode so the changes are steady and the throttle response sluggish aswell, u suddenly then ask for revs at a roundabout or whatever just as theres that gap and its as if the car says no...? what really ..? u don't drive like that ..? ohh u do want power...etc etc, by this time , perhaps a second at most but seems an eternity..! then u get the response... . However I find no such delay if the mode is in sport...perhaps try a gearbox re-set which shud start the process from scratch, have seen a vid on youtube showing how to do it...very simple , but cant quite remember. give it a go, its cost free ..!!
Thanks B King. I did do the gearbox reset about 1,000 miles ago, and whilst it certainly made a difference to the smoothness of gearchange, it had no effect on the stuttering start problem. As you mention, there is a YouTube showing how to do the reset, and I would recommend it to everyone.

dermot dublin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180 1998 1.8 faithful friend but now retired- e200 w210 2000 avant garde
Check the fluid level in the gearbox - I had s similar problem in my 211, too much fluid in it- sucked out 500mls and all was good again.
Check the level while engine is running, in park and at operating temperature

OP
C

cruiser

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Than
Check the fluid level in the gearbox - I had s similar problem in my 211, too much fluid in it- sucked out 500mls and all was good again.
Check the level while engine is running, in park and at operating temperature
Thanks dermot dublin. It's due for a service soon so I will have the level checked.

Top Bottom