Insurance shock

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
I was looking at an ECU map this year, so checked with the insurance, for me to add this to a policy would cost an extra £250. This is for up to a 25% increase in power.
I will wait until I have my first years NCD and try again then.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Wise man to check before the event so as to speak. I’m surprised insurers don’t insist on upgraded brakes when cars are remapped, my 212 E350 Sport could handle an extra 40bhp from a stopping point of view but not my 210 E320 Avantgarde, certainly worth looking for a car with the upgraded sport set-up if you are going to tune it

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I was looking at an ECU map this year, so checked with the insurance, for me to add this to a policy would cost an extra £250. This is for up to a 25% increase in power.
Is this your first car?

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I think this is specific to your insurance company, when I enquired for my Audi with LV a stage 1 tune (approx. 60bhp) was going to cost £40 extra on my insurance for a year.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
I just renewed my FC BMW policy with Admiral for £288, More Than wanted an extra £250 hence the move.

I filled in the online form and told them there had been a few changes from stock spec , spoiler + sill decals and the premium never altered. I am thinking of fitting the MPPK kit to the car which includes a "valved" cat back system plus a flash of the ECU to up the power and did a quote with them included and it was only £50 extra over the year.

Time to seek a more sympathetic provider.

Kenny

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is this your first car?
No, I've been a company car driver for years and so don't have any NCD, even if I did they wouldn't have honoured it. I only picked them because at the time they were the cheapest and had the things I needed. Next year I will shop around.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wise man to check before the event so as to speak. I’m surprised insurers don’t insist on upgraded brakes when cars are remapped, my 212 E350 Sport could handle an extra 40bhp from a stopping point of view but not my 210 E320 Avantgarde, certainly worth looking for a car with the upgraded sport set-up if you are going to tune it
I wasn't prepared to get the work done and then drive back and ask the question, too risky, and I wouldn't have felt happy to not be covered.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think this is specific to your insurance company, when I enquired for my Audi with LV a stage 1 tune (approx. 60bhp) was going to cost £40 extra on my insurance for a year.
I don't doubt that, this is the company that wanted another £151 plus admin costs to increase my miles per year.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I just renewed my FC BMW policy with Admiral for £288, More Than wanted an extra £250 hence the move.

I filled in the online form and told them there had been a few changes from stock spec , spoiler + sill decals and the premium never altered. I am thinking of fitting the MPPK kit to the car which includes a "valved" cat back system plus a flash of the ECU to up the power and did a quote with them included and it was only £50 extra over the year.

Time to seek a more sympathetic provider.

Kenny
I did an online quote using money supermarket based on me having 1 years NCD, and that quote came back at around £200+ to what I am paying now. So basically for me in my early 40's with 1 years NCD with a ECU map to no more than 25% power gain would be around £850 limited to 12k miles a year..

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
No, I've been a company car driver for years and so don't have any NCD, even if I did they wouldn't have honoured it. I only picked them because at the time they were the cheapest and had the things I needed. Next year I will shop around.
You do have NCD. Insurance companies will accept clean company car driving records as NCD if your company will provide a supporting letter (they used to anyway).

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You do have NCD. Insurance companies will accept clean company car driving records as NCD if your company will provide a supporting letter (they used to anyway).
I'm not sure all do.
But that is void for me anyway. Last winter I reversed the car into a really short bollard in a car park, I left it because it was barely noticeable, so it went and got repaired. When I asked for a copy of my company NCD they sent me a letter with a claim at the bottom.
So I should have said "I'm an ex-company car driver without any NCD".

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
On the same subject, "insurance -shock", I did a precursory insurance quote last night for an imaginary facelift E63 valued at £28k with an engine map. Expecting the worst, I was very surprised to see a quote from LV for £382 fully comp, £250 excess + £250 voluntary excess, NCD protected with the missus driving too (she wont:shock:) That is just under £100 more than this years renewal for the E55. This was with Go Compare who I've not used before.

I'm well pleased with that, as I was expected a lot more, especially on a mapped car and me a pensioner;)
There are still some advantages being an old coffin dodger.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Churchill charged me £40 ish to cover a map 11-20% power increase ( I also checked before doing it) was happy enough with that

Top Bottom