squeegee

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Is it ok to use one of these to remove excessive water before drying?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
What is it you are calling a Squeegee ? Is that a mop or something ? :confused:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Oooh, I wouldn't use one, you could be dragging grit under that blade. That would probably be OK on windows at home but not sure about paintwork though. :( I will probably be lambasted for it but I just use a dry sponge, rinsed and squeezed. Same one as I washed the car with :rolleyes:

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oooh, I wouldn't use one, you could be dragging grit under that blade. That would probably be OK on windows at home but not sure about paintwork though. :( I will probably be lambasted for it but I just use a dry sponge, rinsed and squeezed. Same one as I washed the car with :rolleyes:
I'm hoping by that point there is no more grit :D.
I'm happy to use multiple towels, just wondered what the general consensus was. Cheers.

weds

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class Estate 350cd, Porsche 928 S4
I still use one, wipe it with a cloth after each wipe. Hopefully after washing the surface should be clean (ish) so whatever you drag over the surface whether its a squeegee of a microfiber cloth has the potential to rub dirt across the paintwork.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...

I only use it for giving windows and glass roof a quick wipe, and wipe blade between my fingers with each pass.

Read a test on Autoexpress a couple of years ago where they tested these, and they apparently trap any dirt/contaminants quite badly.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I use two to swipe the watter off the car before drying. Ensure they’re scrupulously clean before use and job’s s good un!

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I use a synthetic chamois leather. I know some people will say never to use a chamois to dry a car but i have always done so with no issues. I then do a final wipe with large microfibre drying towel.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Mother of God ....No !!! :shock:
One tiny piece of grit and you have a scratch , I wish I had a picture of my mondeo from a few years ago . The squeegee now lives in the shower to clean the screen .

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mother of God ....No !!! :shock:
One tiny piece of grit and you have a scratch , I wish I had a picture of my mondeo from a few years ago . The squeegee now lives in the shower to clean the screen .
:D
Message received and understood.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Naysayers! Just keep it clean. As long as it’s not living in a flowerpot in between washes and it’s wiped off during squeegage (is that a new verb?) it’ll be fine.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Naysayer for a reason chap, in my very humble opinion the shore harness of just about every one I’ve seen is just too high so you scrape it across the paint more than you need to... and they’re just horrid anyway ...maybe good for house windows which are lovely and flat but for curved paint yuch
Microfibre towels every time

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Capra Get your self one of these .,,double wash the car with hose and shampoo when all nice and clean with just clean water rinse the car off .Then use one of these --- mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.jpg see picture .Pick one up from Halfords .If you dont like it i will take it off your hands and refund you what you paid for it.I have been using these for 20 years and they outlast any leathers [leather is out dated anyway ] One i use is over 4 years old and stil as l good as new .

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Please don't use one of those things, as said above, one piece of grit or sand and you'll have a line down a panel.

The best way to remove excess water is to initially sheet* the water using a low pressure hose, then use a waffle weave or similar drying towel.

*Sheeting is done by starting at the top, one panel at a time. No adapter on the hose, just let it trickle over the bodywork and it will remove the bulk of it instantly.

Good video of it on THIS PAGE from 22secs in.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Please don't use one of those things, as said above, one piece of grit or sand and you'll have a line down a panel.

The best way to remove excess water is to initially sheet* the water using a low pressure hose, then use a waffle weave or similar drying towel.

*Sheeting is done by starting at the top, one panel at a time. No adapter on the hose, just let it trickle over the bodywork and it will remove the bulk of it instantly.

Good video of it on THIS PAGE from 22secs in.
Cheers. Yes, the jet washer was leaving lots and lots of beads, just the roof saturated the micro towel.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
That’s the thing on a good wax/ceramic finish as the beading holds water to be fair and it takes longer to dry off with the Microfibre. The answer is there- have more than 1 Microfibre towel. Actually I use 4 , 2 x large and 2 x small - they go straight in the washing machine after use. (I have a spare rotation set too...)
Sheeting as mentioned above helps a lot- the water filter manufacturers recommend that then of course no drying as they claim no water marks as no solids left.....

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That’s the thing on a good wax/ceramic finish as the beading holds water to be fair and it takes longer to dry off with the Microfibre. The answer is there- have more than 1 Microfibre towel. Actually I use 4 , 2 x large and 2 x small - they go straight in the washing machine after use. (I have a spare rotation set too...)
Sheeting as mentioned above helps a lot- the water filter manufacturers recommend that then of course no drying as they claim no water marks as no solids left.....
I would rather use more towels than risk anything. To be honest it's just the level areas, roof, bonnet and boot. But I do have 2 large anyway. with regards to cleaning, I should log time spent, a basic clean is taking me 2 hours +.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I would rather use more towels than risk anything. To be honest it's just the level areas, roof, bonnet and boot. But I do have 2 large anyway. with regards to cleaning, I should log time spent, a basic clean is taking me 2 hours +.
That time is about right Andy! Takes me that, maybe 1.5 if i’m Pushed- 3 if i’m doing a little extra

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom