Need some help please (valuing a vehicle)

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
So... I'm creating this post with an extremely heavy heart.

In April 2019, the Mayor of London (TfL) will introduce the ULEZ charge, which will cover the existing congestion charge zone. This means diesel and petrol cars that don't meet certain standards will have to pay £12.50 a day to enter into the congestion charge zone, every day weekends and public holidays on top of the congestion charge.

Now I rarely if ever go that far into Central London but now and then I do have to, due to traffic and other things.

So, reluctantly I'm gonna have to let go of my baby, my W202. I want to know your thoughts on what she'd be worth. Spec as follows :

1997 C250 Turbo Diesel
Sport spec from Factory
242k warranted miles
Service History from my purchase at 149k (Mostly if not all Wayne Gates)
Most if not all major work done, again by Wayne Gates (water pump, pulleys, Propshaft Donuts and centre bearing, rear subframe bushes, suspension, engine mounts oem MB, gearbox mount, engine related stuff, etc etc )
Oil and filter change every 4-5k, air filter done at the same time, Mobil 10w40 and Mann filters,
Only ever filled with Shell Diesel,
Engine pulls strong, gearbox also pulls strong, 40k gearbox fluid, sump gasket and pilot bush changed as recommended by Wayne Gates)
Washed regularly with care taken in wheel arches and under body

Mille Miglia interior in good condition,
Everything inside works,
OEM Xenon headlamp units fitted with bosch ballasts and osram D2R bulbs,
Headlamp wash on OEM Button on the dashboard,
Air Horn (loud not tacky) also on OEM button on the dashboard,
US style front Indicator units with LED marker lights,
Sunroof, works and doesn't leak,
Cruise control and ABS all working,

Choice of 15" AMG Monoblocks or 16" staggered W202 Sport wheels, both on decent rubber,

Bodywork isn't brilliant but no major rust, also have spare drivers side wing for new owner for future use,

I was thinking roughly £1700... Is that too much to ask for an enthusiast looked after motor like mine?

..... That's all really... So, gimme your thoughts people...

Cheers,

Harry.

IMG_20180622_093232_555.jpg

IMG_20180603_234948_509.jpg

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Don't forget, by 2021 they will be bringing the zone further out to the north and south circular!

Lovely looking 202!!!

I think realistically its worth what somebody wants to pay for it, but I do think the mileage will scare most people off.

I would think £1200-1300, but depends on how quickly you want to sell!

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On a side note, have you done the maths? I don't know how often you would stray into the zone, but is is really enough to warrant changing vehicle?

My mum has a C250 CDI 2012 and she is thinking about changing now as she will pay every day to/from work. She is struggling to decide whether to change now and have a better px, or wait until later and be in the same boat with everybody trading in diesels.

GlosRichCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 W177 A180 SE auto, 2012 W212 E350 CDi Sport saloon, 2001 CLK 230 K Cabriolet A208
Considering how much more it would cost you to buy a euro6 diesel, and you say you rarely go into the zone, isn't it cheaper to pay the charge a couple of times a month?
It's only going to worth something to an enthusiast, the motor trade would give you £500 if you're lucky I'm afraid.

OP
silestanix

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
Don't forget, by 2021 they will be bringing the zone further out to the north and south circular!

Lovely looking 202!!!

I think realistically its worth what somebody wants to pay for it, but I do think the mileage will scare most people off.

I would think £1200-1300, but depends on how quickly you want to sell!

Cheers bro, she's smartened up since you last saw her! Yeah with the ULEZ being expanded towards the A406 and A205 that'll hit me too, the next car I get is gonna be a ULEZ compliant petrol one... Now getting use to filling up with the right fuel, that's an issue man lol!

Once it expands I'd have to change my motor over anyway as I'm on the A406 doorstep and I'm regularly around East London...

I've done the maths, and once it expands I'll be spending minimum £25 a week running my usual errands, purely ULEZ charge... It's pathetic.

I think the next owner is probably going to be an enthusiast Alex, someone we both know quite well...

OP
silestanix

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
Considering how much more it would cost you to buy a euro6 diesel, and you say you rarely go into the zone, isn't it cheaper to pay the charge a couple of times a month?
It's only going to worth something to an enthusiast, the motor trade would give you £500 if you're lucky I'm afraid.

My thinking exactly bud, unfortunately once it expands I'll be stuffed as I go into the A406 daily... so reluctantly, selling her to an enthusiast is my only option. I've had Interest from drifters etc but no, I want her looked after... Sad times.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cheers bro, she's smartened up since you last saw her! Yeah with the ULEZ being expanded towards the A406 and A205 that'll hit me too, the next car I get is gonna be a ULEZ compliant petrol one... Now getting use to filling up with the right fuel, that's an issue man lol!

Once it expands I'd have to change my motor over anyway as I'm on the A406 doorstep and I'm regularly around East London...

I've done the maths, and once it expands I'll be spending minimum £25 a week running my usual errands, purely ULEZ charge... It's pathetic.

I think the next owner is probably going to be an enthusiast Alex, someone we both know quite well...

The joke is, both my AMG's are Ulez complaint!!!

OP
silestanix

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
The joke is, both my AMG's are Ulez complaint!!!
Yup! My friend and his missus have a 2001 Nissan micra and he has a 2003 SL55 AMG as his toy... Guess which one Isn't compliant??

Yup, the Micra!

Just doesn't make Any sense...!

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
I'm a big fan of the 202 but I don't think you'll get much more than about £1200 ish, even from an enthusiast. I have a lovely 202 C280 v6 petrol with just 81k miles which I've owned for over 10 years and realistically I wouldn't expect to get much over £2k for, so yours with mega miles isn't going to fetch that I fear, despite all the history etc. In my view 202's are somewhat underrated although really good ones with low mileage are starting to become sought after. Good luck with your decision.

OP
silestanix

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
tHE PROBLEM IS ITS WORTH FAR MORE THAN ANYONE WOULD GIVE YOU FOR IT. hOW MUCH WOULD YOU HAVETO SPEND TO GET AN EQUIVALENT CAR THAT IS COMPLIANT?
mY HEART BLEEDS FOR YOU.:(:(

It's a difficult decision, longest car I have ever kept, been a brilliant motor and continues to service my commute and leisure journeys well, 130 miles daily, she'll be missed when she goes, can't put a price on effort and attachment... That 5 cylinder sound track just gets under the skin...!

OP
silestanix

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
I'm a big fan of the 202 but I don't think you'll get much more than about £1200 ish, even from an enthusiast. I have a lovely 202 C280 v6 petrol with just 81k miles which I've owned for over 10 years and realistically I wouldn't expect to get much over £2k for, so yours with mega miles isn't going to fetch that I fear, despite all the history etc. In my view 202's are somewhat underrated although really good ones with low mileage are starting to become sought after. Good luck with your decision.

Definitely underrated Graham, I will have another though when the time is right and I no longer have to drive in or around London... Somewhat resenting living around London at the moment... So so many people with older cars will be affected. Just not good.

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
Given how much effort and cash you've put in, it would be crazy to sell it for buttons, Harry.
Keep using it, until the inevitable happens...

Then get a compliant petrol 1.0L non-entity. Or get a family member to do so.:)

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Yup! My friend and his missus have a 2001 Nissan micra and he has a 2003 SL55 AMG as his toy... Guess which one Isn't compliant??

Yup, the Micra!

Just doesn't make Any sense...!

Doesnt effect me but I hate that stupid little prat!
He host Macron 2 weeks before he hosts all the Financial institutions in Paris!
Trying to get them to take all the bussiness to Paris.

Er I thought the London Mayor was supposed to look after London businesses!

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Just had a look online...

Congestion charge at certain times and areas.
T charge, (not even sure what that's about).
ULEZ charge.
Euro standards 1,2,3, etc.

WTF.
Do they make it so complicated that people get fined for not paying on time for even more money grabbing?
Sadiq Turpin on a salary of £143,911 a year salary.
Highway robbery but taking from the poor!

OP
silestanix

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
Given how much effort and cash you've put in, it would be crazy to sell it for buttons, Harry.
Keep using it, until the inevitable happens...

Then get a compliant petrol 1.0L non-entity. Or get a family member to do so.:)

Getting a good price for her Andy, I thought I'd cut my losses now before the market floods with people selling older cars... And she'll be well looked after too by the new owner I hope.

OP
silestanix

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
Confirmed sale with the new owner pending a drive... Although tbh thus gent knows my W202 better than most... Here's a clue...

_20180705_214804.JPG

... She'll definitely be looked after... :)

Recorded my last journey to and from work today... Nightmare journey home though, took over 3 hours, damned M25.

Pic at work, 6am this morning...

DSC_8247.JPG

*sigh*

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Terry loves a 202!!

Im partial to one too. If I hadn't just bought the clk I would have had your hand off.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom