Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Fairy Liquid is also good

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
really? I suppose if I used that it was save the wife from finding another Amazon box.

Yup, excellent at stripping all wax etc off cars, just use is as your normal wash

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Yup, excellent at stripping all wax etc off cars, just use is as your normal wash
Ok thanks JBell, I won't purchase this. Is this why they used to say not to wash cars with it?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
But fairly liquid will leave a residue of it’s own. Albeit it will strip the wax. So if you use fairy liquid you’d still have to use something to get rid of that residue surely? Get the Amazon box, you know you want to!:D

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I was under the impression fairy liquid contains salt, or by products of salt.
Not the stuff I'd put on a car to take the wax off.
I'd use a clay bar/mitt if you are waxing afterwards.

is this ok for removing traces of polish before waxing/sealing?

Any reason why you would want to remove the polish before waxing/sealing?

I wash with shampoo, clay mitt, rinse, shampoo again, rinse, dry, polish, wax, seal when it's time for a good deep clean.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was under the impression fairy liquid contains salt, or by products of salt.
Not the stuff I'd put on a car to take the wax off.
I'd use a clay bar/mitt if you are waxing afterwards.

Any reason why you would want to remove the polish before waxing/sealing?

I wash with shampoo, clay mitt, rinse, shampoo again, rinse, dry, polish, wax, seal when it's time for a good deep clean.
I'm prepping the area at the weekend for the CHIPEX and it says to make sure that the area is free from contaminants including previous polish/was etc. Don't have anymore clay as it was all used up.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But fairly liquid will leave a residue of it’s own. Albeit it will strip the wax. So if you use fairy liquid you’d still have to use something to get rid of that residue surely? Get the Amazon box, you know you want to!:D

Just wash with AG BS after and all good

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I did order the Alcohol as I can use it for cleaning of the brake fluid on my bikes. Cheers

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I did order the Alcohol as I can use it for cleaning of the brake fluid on my bikes. Cheers
It’s handy anyway- if you ever think about fitting a spoiler ar something you will need it before using VHB tape or the like....

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It’s handy anyway- if you ever think about fitting a spoiler ar something you will need it before using VHB tape or the like....
Ah yes good point ;). I did order that spoiler in the end. Was going to ask about tape, not sure if it comes with. I suppose as long as it covers all contact points it's fine.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Ah yes good point ;). I did order that spoiler in the end. Was going to ask about tape, not sure if it comes with. I suppose as long as it covers all contact points it's fine.
Your memory is better than mine, but now you mention it...yes you did order it!
The VHB tape will come with it, but (and I might have mentioned this already), what comes is about 10mm wide, whereas I ended up using 19mm wide as I thought it would be more secure (and it is)
All from Amazon...
The Tape : 3M VHB 4611F 19mm x 3m long @ £8.34
IPA you have
And I also used 3M 4298 Adhesion Promoter applicator pads @ £11.95 for pack of 5. I used 2
That was (and is not) coming off in a hurry...

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Your memory is better than mine, but now you mention it...yes you did order it!
The VHB tape will come with it, but (and I might have mentioned this already), what comes is about 10mm wide, whereas I ended up using 19mm wide as I thought it would be more secure (and it is)
All from Amazon...
The Tape : 3M VHB 4611F 19mm x 3m long @ £8.34
IPA you have
And I also used 3M 4298 Adhesion Promoter applicator pads @ £11.95 for pack of 5. I used 2
That was (and is not) coming off in a hurry...
Awesome thanks John, I will order this. Cheers

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is a pic of the spoiler, it seems to have to tracks where they have stuck the tape on. Would you recommend removing this and starting with the 19mm tape still? The colour match is really good.

Concerned that water will sit in the channel and could take a while to dry, especially on pain that know longer has wax/sealant.

IMG_20180705_105535.jpg

I do have no more nails, this any good for this job?

IMG_20180705_111631.jpg

It does overhang so I'm hoping this will look ok?

IMG_20180705_112830.jpg

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Mine didn’t have tracks on it, just flat, so I’d ‘stick’ with what they’ve provided (excuse the pun):rolleyes:
When you say overhang do you mean the spoiler will overhang each side looking horizontally?

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mine didn’t have tracks on it, just flat, so I’d ‘stick’ with what they’ve provided (excuse the pun):rolleyes:
When you say overhang do you mean the spoiler will overhang each side looking horizontally?
Lol. Ok will do.
No, with yours the spoiler over hangs the back of the boot lid, with the one I have it just sits on top, yours looks neater and more OEM. I will take a pic of what I mean.
Cheers

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom