Command Nav Roundabout issue

Stair78

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 C300h
I have a 2016 c300h with a command nav system. I have a problem at large roundabouts as the system does not recognise them as such and just tells me to prepare to turn left even if I need to take the 3rd or 4th exit and therefore I need to be in the right hand lane. The screen is late to show that I am actually needing to turn right and its causing me major grief. I have reported this to MB on several occasions and they always seem to act as if I am the only person who has this issue? Its been to the dealership today and I have the latest map update but the annoying roundabout issue is still there. I had a CLA as a courtesy car and the navigation system in that was perfect, and recognised all roundabouts and displayed and told me which number exit I needed to take. So really frustrating to get back in my c-class and find the system being so vague. I have reported to Mercedes for a third time and have previously been told its a feature of this sat nav. Am I just being difficult or is this a problem that I should be pushing for Mercedes to fix? Help!

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
couple of thoughts

1) large roundabouts are now often called squares, and can be so big you may not even know its a roundabout, especially if infected with traffic lights
2) the only way to exit any roundabout is to turn left, so whilst it may seem silly you will be turning left at some point.
3) the zoomed in picture of the square / circle / roundabout on many Nav devices is indicative of the number of exits on a given roundabout but may not represent the physical junction layout in front of you or the placement of the specific junction you will take
4) some foreign people don't understand what is meant by "take the 3rd exit" as in turn right, first exit = turn left, second exit = straight on, etc.
5) some apparent exits can be dead ends or incomplete road building, so aren't counted as an exit even if you have
6) some roads can be so minor you don't spot them and thus count them (Chiswick has one like this)
7) its possible on some devices if the language settings are set for a different country to the one you are in, it may count the junction exits back to front, so if set for LHD / Europe 3rd exit is left etc.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
As above and also even the up to date maps aren’t very up to date in MB land if that makes sense! For instance mine doesn’t know the Mersey gateway exists so it appears my car can drive on water ...

SImon_RD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 E220d
Definitely something not right about your system.
I've never seen nor heared of this being a normal M.O for any satnav system, but i have seen similar in faulty I.T systems.

Id be guessing its having problems either with its TTS or mapping components. Either way it can't output the correct "take the third exit" for example, and is likely defaulting to what your hearing every-time. The cause could be a myriad of things, so Id ask for a re-installation of the whole nav software to start.

Personally i don't use the satnav in any of my last 6 cars (Mercedes included). They are all equally terrible even when they are working as they are meant to. If you have found yourself seriously reliant on a Satnav system for any reason, Id very much recommended you consider looking aftermarket systems. They are 10 Years ahead of all the manufacturers.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I have a 2016 c300h with a command nav system. I have a problem at large roundabouts as the system does not recognise them as such and just tells me to prepare to turn left even if I need to take the 3rd or 4th exit and therefore I need to be in the right hand lane.

My C class is just the same, COMAND is not great, if I had to rely on a sat nav I'd use my TomTom which is light years more advanced than COMAND.

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Press your dealer to resolve the issue and ask them to update the COMAND software (NOT just the maps.) I had a list if issues with my E Class COMAND (also 2016) including missing the first second or so of MP3 tracks, being sluggish to respond to button presses and Linguatronic, Traffic announcements cutting in and out then back in again etc. The garage did a full software update on the COMAND unit (though forgot the map update so another visit pending) and it has made a BIG difference. There are quite a few look and feel changes, the problems I had seem to be mainly resolved ( only had it back two days so can't be certain yet) and it has also gained Apple CarPlay and Android equivalent, plus some other menu options.

If you have functional issues, it is likely there is a software fix that can be applied. Also worth trying another dealer as we know they are not all created equal

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Also worth trying another dealer as we know they are not all created equal

as in the best ones are insipid, incompetent and very expensive
the others are more useless than most ford dealers were in 1976

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
Yours seems to not be working as it should and maybe you should do as BillyBoy suggests and push for a complete Comand software update.

I do agree though that there are times when a bit earlier warning would help particularly busy areas where you need to place yourself in the correct lane.

Robin

David Glass

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200 sport auto 2018
Interesting. I've just taken delivery of a new C200 sport and it has the same problem. I also had the situation on my 2016 model which the dealer could not solve. On the recommendations made, I'll ask for a full reinstallation to see if this helps. I'll keep you posted.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
a video of said fault would be interesting, it doesn't seem possible the manufacturer can really be this stupid

if its real, someone could have a lot of fun rejecting brand new cars within 30 days for a full refund

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom