W203 front suspension "rubbery squeak"!

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Over the last few days a intermittent "rubbery squeak" has made its presence a permanent annoyance.
It comes from the drivers side under compression and when turning right. I've lubricated the inner bushes and ball joints on both lower arms with silicone spray (without dismantling) and the anti-roll bar bush by dismantling, cleaning and greasing to no effect.
Is this going to need new lower suspension arms and ball joints to be shot of this rubbery noise?

OP
Oldspanners

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Well after dismantling both bottom suspension arms cleaning and greasing where they mount on the alloy cross-member and greasing around the top of the bellows covering the top of the suspension strut the squeak seems to have gone for the last two days. I don't see anything that could have caused it so I'm not confident I found the cause. There is no play in any of the joints, only the ball joint on the track control arm was not really completely smooth in all its travel was the only slight thing.
For note for anyone doing work on the front suspension; the bolts are 21mm hex head; a standard ball joint splitter isn't wide enough for the front torque arm ball joint; the bolts that mount the anti-roll bar into the alloy cross-member need careful loosening as they pass right through and rust up and will undoubtedly shear if you don't lubricate them from the top and ease them back and forward until free.
The plus was I cleaned up the metal brake pipe where it emerges from behind the plastic inner guard and treated it with anti-rust. Must do the other side next time the wheel is off.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
oldspanner you have done a good job and will last for years to come .The rubber inside the spring seats can make this sound also .And the shockabsorbers can . But normal grease is not the right thing to use its petrolium product and will damage the rubber .I use ATF fluid to paint on to all the rubber bits under the car .

OP
Oldspanners

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
oldspanner you have done a good job and will last for years to come .The rubber inside the spring seats can make this sound also .And the shockabsorbers can . But normal grease is not the right thing to use its petrolium product and will damage the rubber .I use ATF fluid to paint on to all the rubber bits under the car .
Good idea that, I used silicone grease which certainly isn't the cheap option! If the squeak appears again or on the other side it will get the ATF treatment. I'm beginning to suspect the temperature here 36C today and although the car is in the shade and under a cover the difference between the alloy cross-member and bushings and the steel bolts may have something to do with it.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
I to have a noise a lot like yours,, only on the multilink on the rear suspension .And i use atf on the rubber bushes .It will go away no sooner i treat them .

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
most chinese parts make a "rubbery squeak "

Chandelierman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 2.2 Viano Ambiente / Smart 451 Brabus / MK8 Transit van camper
I was just about to do a new squeak squeak post.....l have R230 and just recently I am experiencing the same issue .....I am partially deaf which doesn’t help when trying to pinpoint where the sound is coming from ...I can only describe the sound as being like a very dry door hinge that needs oiling but the sound comes when turning the steering wheel ....in my mind it sounds that it is coming from the steering column? but maybe not .....I only use my car once or twice a week ...maybe lack of use or the hot weather is drying out the rubbers?

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
It was joke pal. Chinese rubbery = lovely .

Never mind . lol

OP
Oldspanners

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
I was just about to do a new squeak squeak post.....l have R230 and just recently I am experiencing the same issue .....I am partially deaf which doesn’t help when trying to pinpoint where the sound is coming from ...I can only describe the sound as being like a very dry door hinge that needs oiling but the sound comes when turning the steering wheel ....in my mind it sounds that it is coming from the steering column? but maybe not .....I only use my car once or twice a week ...maybe lack of use or the hot weather is drying out the rubbers?
That was the same on my C class, try lubricating the top of the bellows/gaiter that protects the top of the strut with silicone grease or ATF as was suggested by Dreamer. The noise was still away today and it was 36C here in the shade!

OP
Oldspanners

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
It's back again as I thought.
This is the noise and the cure temporarily until the arm is replaced.

Chandelierman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 2.2 Viano Ambiente / Smart 451 Brabus / MK8 Transit van camper
I have ordered some AT 205 .... I couldn’t find anywhere in the UK that sells it so had to get it from the US ..... it should be here on Monday

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom