2018 E-class AMG Estate advice needed

Matt Edwards

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class 2018 220D AMG
So, I'd planned to replace my Skoda Octavia estate DSG with something a little bit more flash and had originally planned on getting a 5 Series Touring. After a significant mess about by one BMW dealer, when a deal that proved to be too good to be true - proved to be just that - I decided to look again at Mercedes as an option.

I have 2 young kids and a small dog, so an estate is a must. We've also been spoilt by the cavernous space of the Octavia.

My parents had previously owned a few Mercedes including a 190E and an SL and loved both cars.

So I'd called around a few places. My aim was to see what was out there and get one typically as cheaply as possible, be that PCP or lease. Anyhow, I was called back by one lease firm and they'd become aware of a large commercial lease order which had resulted in 4 heavily discounted new cars available at bumper prices on a lease.

So they've offered a 2018 registered E-class estate, 220D in AMG trim. It's going to be about £300 a month over 24 months with £1k upfront deposit.

That seems like a great deal, though I was disappointed to learn it only has the smaller 8.4inch non-command unit. What's everyone's collective thoughts? Would welcome people's input especially if they own a similar car and have experience of the smaller screen. I should add I love the larger screen setup (12.3), also can someone confirm if Apple Carplay is built into the smaller unit?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Don't know about Carplay. I was able to get an E220 AMG Line saloon for £196/mth with £1500 up front, on a lease.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
My 2017 model didn't have carplay, I had the smaller screen and it was fine - I found my left hand covered part of the screen on the larger screen.
I'd check drive the deal as they've had some amazing deals going through on E220's - ~£33K for brand new unregistered ones.
I was talking to a dealer last week and he said there's loads being registered ahead of September, didn't know (or couldn't say the reason) but there's lots of cars out there and some amazing deals to be had.
If I was in the market for 1 I'd buy 1 with my own money - I did 48K miles in my E220 (SE spec (more comfortable :))) and loved it, I had a 520 BM before and the Mercedes was much nicer.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Drove the Octavia VRS when I was a police officer, very impressed. But for social driving I much prefer Mercedes.
My E350CDI has the smaller non Command screen, not been an issue with me.
£300 a month seems to me to be a good price, but I have never leased. I buy a car 6-12 months old & keep it for 100K miles. Worked well on our last 4 cars.

OP
M

Matt Edwards

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class 2018 220D AMG
Drove the Octavia VRS when I was a police officer, very impressed. But for social driving I much prefer Mercedes.
My E350CDI has the smaller non Command screen, not been an issue with me.
£300 a month seems to me to be a good price, but I have never leased. I buy a car 6-12 months old & keep it for 100K miles. Worked well on our last 4 cars.
Thanks for the advice. I'm still mulling lots of options over in my head. I plan on buying a property in France to convert. I, therefore, anticipate much travel back and forth, so I'm after something that ticks all the boxes of my broader plan. Specifically is a comfy drive with a massive payload for hunking about lots of DIY tools and supplies.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
We tour Europe each year in our 350 its a very relaxed drive, as a long distance tourer they are unbeatable.
We had a CLK270 before, slightly better seats without the go of the V6.
Had a Renault 16TX in the 70's, still set the standard of car seats.

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
Taking it to France regularly will clock up the miles

Check the small print on excess mileage or indeed what the cheap price is based on

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Thanks for the advice. I'm still mulling lots of options over in my head. I plan on buying a property in France to convert. I, therefore, anticipate much travel back and forth, so I'm after something that ticks all the boxes of my broader plan. Specifically is a comfy drive with a massive payload for hunking about lots of DIY tools and supplies.
You won't beat an E Class for that then. Until they bring out the S Class Wagen.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I was talking to a dealer last week and he said there's loads being registered ahead of September, didn't know (or couldn't say the reason) but there's lots of cars out there and some amazing deals to be had.
The reason is connected to the new WLTP emissions standard which comes in 1st Sept. I haven't seen the astonishing deals everyone seemed to expect though. I think a lot of manufacturers backed off production some time ago.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Here's 1 of a few options from drive the deal at the moment - looks like a deal to me

upload_2018-8-9_10-1-49.png

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
We bought an old W210 E240 estate for the same reason. We have a house an hour north of Bordeaux. To cart stuff over to set the house up how we want it we've done nearly 40k miles in 2 years (French trips as well as some local commuting).
We opted to go the old E class route on the basis the car is largely disposable having only paid £600 for it. Over the 2 years period including purchase it owes us £1300 maximum. Being petrol it's a bit thirsty but that said the M112 V6 is pretty bulletproof and very smooth. As most of our trip is motorway it just sits at 80 mph for hour after hour. Typically we get 30mpg.

Comfort is superb and the rear load area is cavernous. In one single trip we managed to fit a King size pine bed, double wardrobe, two bedside cabinets and numerous nick nacks. The furniture was all from Indigo Furniture which is solid. I'd climb in the double wardrobe if there was a nuclear attack as nothing would penetrate it!

Consider carefully if a new lease car is the right answer. Unless you get a house within 30 minutes of the channel ports you're going to run up huge mileages very quickly.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
If you DO decide the lease deal is for you (lots of good advice here on mileage) then try V4B who are a forum sponsor on here. I’ve had some very competitive business quotes from them in the past.
If the wide screen is something you really want then hold out for it - it will only annoy you down the line if you don’t get it
Sorry can’t comment on the Apple play, but I’d be surprised if not supported

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom