W209 CLK Front brake disc shield replacement & hub removal advice.

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
Doing a track rod end yesterday I found about a third of the rusty nearside front disc shield flapping like a hinge so it could touch the disc. So I broke it off to stop the loose section getting trapped in the brakes but now want to replace the disc shield.

Seems you need the disc and hub off?? Any dodges round this?

Disc is easy as they were new this year but what about the hub? Haynes warns the inner race may stick on the hub spigot so needing a puller to remove which will spoil the bearing. Is this so or does the hub usually pull off in one?

Any thoughts appreciated.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The inner race does usually stick but is not normally difficult to remove ( with some care). You will destroy the seal on the hub so source a new one.
When reassembling only knock the seal flush to the hub otherwise you may end up with an ABS failure.

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks... and to onefortheroad for the PM'd diagram link.

Yep will take care getting the hub/bearing off.

I was getting the disc shield (perhaps do both sides while I'm at it) from Newcastle MB on Ebay so will message and ask them to do a price inc the hub seal.

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Something I've read on a wheel bearing kit listing said "OE magnetic pick up oil seal". Does the oil seal play a part in the speed sensor/ABS?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Something I've read on a wheel bearing kit listing said "OE magnetic pick up oil seal". Does the oil seal play a part in the speed sensor/ABS?
Yes. Hence my comments about knocking the seal in flush to the hub.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
I tried with a Lucas kit . it ended in failure lol. New hub from mb £190 .

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks guys. I'm getting the disc shield from Mercedes and they are also supplying the "magnetic" bearing seal so fingers crossed.

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Job completed this morning so thought I'd feed back.

The hub/wheel bearing assembly including oil seal all pulled off easily by hand and as one without marking the seal. The bearings and tracks were in great condition for 122k mls. I saw no reason to change the seal/magnetic trigger so have kept the one I bought for another time. After assembly a test run didn't show any ABS or wheel sensor related issues/codes.

A Torx socket is needed to remove the three disc shield bolts... they were tight and the heads were pretty rusty so I reckon any attempt with a bodged on socket etc would have rounded them off.

I took a photo of the locking collar/bearing adjustment nut before taking apart... and setting the bearing free play by hand brought it to the same position so happy with that.

Pics of... comparison between new and rusted shield... the seal/speed trigger... the speed sensor behind the shield... the torx head bolt... the front hub setting. Disc shield comparison.JPG Disc shield seal.JPG Disc shield speed sensor.JPG Disc shield torx.JPG Front wheel hub.JPG

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Top draw diying .

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yep... thanks. I was prepared for it to throw a speed sensor code because I've had trouble before with similar arrangements of other makes... but always better to nip up the road and it be OK.

N/S track control arm... O/S track rod end and both steering inner tie rods next week then hopefully that's it ready for autumn/winter.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom