adding DAB w211 2004

sheepwolf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 / 2004 / e320
Hi all,

Trying to figure out the best way to add DAB to my w211.I like the standard factory fitted Comand system. So have been looking at DAB adapters.

Not trying to sound to picky but not really up for anything on the dash unless its subtle and definitely don't want a cigarette lighter power connection. Would rather hardwire.

If it has to be on the dash would anyone recommend one that is tidy?

Ps. I don't have a HFP bluetooth phone adapter so cant connect my phone via bluetooth for calls so a DAB adapter that can do calls would be good or i could invest in the HFP specifically for that.. any reviews on the sound quality / inbuilt speakers designed for the handsfree via bluetooth connection.

Much appreciated.

OP
S

sheepwolf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 / 2004 / e320
Thanks lost on wheels, looks like they have what i'm looking for!

OP
S

sheepwolf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 / 2004 / e320
Sorry LostKiwi, my brain was still thinking DABonwheels when responding..
Thanks for the link!

Brizzle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 AMG Night Edition Bluetec Auto Estate (Feb 2016)
I haven't looked at mobile DAB for some time and when I last did the reviews were full of lost signal and poor reception.

Has the situation improved sufficiently to make it a viable proposition now? There is a low-cost add-on for my Android replacement radio in the C Class that I could be tempted by :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I haven't looked at mobile DAB for some time and when I last did the reviews were full of lost signal and poor reception.

Has the situation improved sufficiently to make it a viable proposition now? There is a low-cost add-on for my Android replacement radio in the C Class that I could be tempted by :)
DAB installations have improved with many more sites transmitting, yes you still get drop outs in areas but not bad enough to put me off. The DAB in my E220 was very good, antenna placement is important for a good signal.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I put a Kenwood DAB radio into our 210 and use nothing more than a stick on autoleads aerial up by the rear view mirror. No dropouts at all from the Midlands to either Dover or Portsmouth or north to Birmingham and up into the peaks. The only place I occasionally get dropouts is on the A361 just north of Banbury.

Brizzle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 AMG Night Edition Bluetec Auto Estate (Feb 2016)
@Blobcat & LostKiwi - Thanks for that, I may be tempted to give it a try. I think my C220 already has the aerial as the original Audio20 radio had two aerial leads connected and only one of those works with the Android head unit.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom