W205 Excessive front tyre wear

cliff61

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250d 4-Matic Premium Plus Sport 2017
I have a 2017 C250d 4-Matic Premium Plus Sport and am very pleased with it. Fuel economy is amazing having got 62+ mpg on most longer journeys and 65.6mpg coming back from Manchester yesterday over 120 miles.
The problem is the front tyre wear, which is happening very severely on the outer edge of both front tyres. I have the original 17" Sport wheels.

I had the tracking checked with a laser alignment system 3 months ago and it was found to be out, so had the Toe in/out adjusted.
But it seems the wear continues.
Ive done 15K miles and the outer edges are now just about bald, but the rest of the tyre still has plenty of tread.
I'm not convinced the tracking is correct, as the car the system was set up for was a 2010-2016 C250CDi Sport; no mention of 4-Matic but maybe they are the same for alignment?
The front toe in/out was adjusted to +0.60 on each wheel (not sure if that's mm or degrees, but suspect mm) is this correct?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Of course I want to fit new tyres as worried about the originals, but would like to solve this issue first.
I guess getting the alignment checked again would be a good start to check it's still as it was when done 3 months ago?

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 AMG Sport Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
My c220 S205 front tyres also wore away on the outer edges, at 14k miles, I just changed all 4 to Goodyear F1 Eagle 3 Assymetrics.
I had the alignment adjusted, worn tyres will continue to wear at the previous rate irrespective of having the tracking adjusted.
I would suggest have the alignment done again once the new tyres are on, and ensure the pressure is always correct.
15K from a set of tyres is not too bad.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I'd say 15k is poor, I was getting over 40K on my W211.

Do you brake a lot going into bends? What's the tyre pressure like? Outer edges tend to be under inflation and centre over inflation. Also if you stamp on the accelerator coming out of a bend you're going to increase the tyre wear on the outer edge of the outermost front tyre.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Do you use full lock a lot? This can also cause high wear on the tyre edges.

Value Tyres

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK
It might be worth checking the load rating that is advised for the car and then checking the front tyres. If they are not a high enough load rating for the car, then you would see uneven wear. Also if you repeated drive with under- inflated tyres than that will increase the wear on the edges of the tyres and the wear will be accelerated by your cornering style.

Another point, it might be worth looking on your tyres to see what the DOT codes are as well. This information can be found on the side wall of the tyres.

Don't forget your discount- when you are looking for new tyres, add MBO5 and the check out.

OP
C

cliff61

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My c220 S205 front tyres also wore away on the outer edges, at 14k miles, I just changed all 4 to Goodyear F1 Eagle 3 Assymetrics.
I had the alignment adjusted, worn tyres will continue to wear at the previous rate irrespective of having the tracking adjusted.
I would suggest have the alignment done again once the new tyres are on, and ensure the pressure is always correct.
15K from a set of tyres is not too bad.

15K maybe OK, but the amount of tread in the centre and inner edge suggest that I could get at least another 5K out of them had they not have worn on the outer edge. Pressures at set to 36psi as it suggests in the book. They are the original from factory tyres so I have to assume they are the correct load rating etc for the car.
I will get a new front pair (likely Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance) very soon and have it aligned again as you suggest.
Many thanks

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I have a 2017 C250d 4-Matic

Isn't this related the usual RHD 4-Matic crabbing issue? It's been mostly an issue on GLC, but apparently affects other 4-Matic models too.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Isn't this related the usual RHD 4-Matic crabbing issue? It's been mostly an issue on GLC, but apparently affects other 4-Matic models too.
That was the reason behind my question about full lock.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
To add my tuppence worth. The condition of the uk roads doesn’t help with alignment one bit.
Did you have any bushes recently changed or links.
15k is very poor for tyres.
You even mention the place you went to didn’t have the correct machine (specs) for your car.
You don’t want to be getting new tyres every service basically.
40k is good for tyres.
Let us know how you get on

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To add my tuppence worth. The condition of the uk roads doesn’t help with alignment one bit.
You even mention the place you went to didn’t have the correct machine (specs) for your car.
40k is good for tyres.
15k can be normal or good for some vehicles/tyre/driver combinations.
If I get 15k from my RS3s on my 500SL I'll be moderately happy. On the flip side if I didn't get 60k from my Smart Roadster front tyres I'd be miffed.
Same with my Land Rover FC101 I used to have running bar grips.

OP
C

cliff61

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
40k is good for tyres.
I didn't have any new bushes or anything fitted, the car has done just 15K since new and these are the original tyres.
I think life from the tyres would be in the 20-25K range had they not have worn so badly on the outer edge, as the remaining tread is pretty good.
I'm sure the issue is either crabbing, which I guess there is nothing I can do about it? OR
simply tracking.
With regard the comment "didn’t have the correct machine (specs) for your car"; that I'm not totally sure about. Their specs maybe correct and I guess I should assume they are, it's just it didn't mention my year or car or the 4-matic.
If anyone can give me the correct tracking data for my car (as I can't find it on-line) then I can check to see if it matches what they set the car up to be.
I appreciate your replies and feedback, keep it coming if you can.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
On a 2017 car. I say get moaning to the dealers

Top Bottom