What is this?

Lukecoles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E Class
DB536A6E-CC2C-408B-B5F9-1EE09036DCA2.jpeg Any ideas what this is? I’m guessing a power point for something, maybe when towing?
Any reason I shouldn’t cut it off?

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE
Power for trailers and caravans.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
12N (road lighting) and 12S (supplementary ie fridge, charging & reverse light) for a caravan.

Isn't there a towbar too? If you remove them, be aware that there should be a permanent 12 volt supply to the grey 12S socket .... don't short it out

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
12N (road lighting) and 12S (supplementary ie fridge, charging & reverse light) for a caravan.

Isn't there a towbar too? If you remove them, be aware that there should be a permanent 12 volt supply to the grey 12S socket .... don't short it out

+1 to wot he said

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
If you have those, do you also have the hide-away towbar that my S204 has? To get at mine I open the rear NS cubby hole, there's a big knob you turn a little and the tow bar drops down, pull it across into position then turn the knob back to lock it.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
If you have those, do you also have the hide-away towbar that my S204 has? To get at mine I open the rear NS cubby hole, there's a big knob you turn a little and the tow bar drops down, pull it across into position then turn the knob back to lock it.

an OE bar would surely have a single 13 pin socket fastened (at right angles) to the bar itself ;)

OP
Lukecoles

Lukecoles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E Class
Thanks. Nope don’t have a fixed tow bar, unless there’s a drop down one hidden under there somewhere. Car is due a service next month so I might just let the garage do it while it’s there :)

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks. Nope don’t have a fixed tow bar, unless there’s a drop down one hidden under there somewhere. Car is due a service next month so I might just let the garage do it while it’s there :)

Do you cycle? If you are likely to carry bicycles in your time of ownership employing a boot mounted carrier which requires the number plate/lights to not be obscured, the socket would be handy to plug a light board into. :cool:

Is there a receiver for a detachable tow bar under there? The type that plug in (forgive the pun). There may be a big lump of metal with a ball on the end lurking in the boot somewhere.

If its a cosmetic thing, instead of removing, tidy it away?? :eek:

OP
Lukecoles

Lukecoles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E Class
Nope don’t cycle. I see what you mean about tidying away but it is all very much fixed in position, both by a bracket and the solid cable housing coming from up underneath the car somewhere. It is very much a cosmetic thing so I will definitely have it cut off and blanked off so it cannot be seen

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Westfalia made those, for when a hidden towbar was also fitted.
I had one, and in theory the sockets came into view when the towball was swung round ready for use.
In practice, the sockets regularly got full of road muck with obvious electrical malfunctions.
Not a good idea!

Personally, i prefer my towball (with bright yellow tennis ball cover) to be obvious to all. Good deterrent to the close parker brigade, and a subtle warning to tailgaters not to get too close.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had the visible variety on my RR and first Volvo estate, as my shins can testify. The number of times I bashed a shin on the damned thing when loading or unloading the boot! I much prefer the hidden one on my S204 - which has only been out once - and that was to see what it was and how it worked, and was put away immediately and has not been out since!

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had the visible variety on my RR and first Volvo estate, as my shins can testify. The number of times I bashed a shin on the damned thing when loading or unloading the boot! I much prefer the hidden one on my S204 - which has only been out once - and that was to see what it was and how it worked, and was put away immediately and has not been out since!

ha ha :)

They've moved on a bit, this is mine (except mine is RHD and the exterior colour is Brilliant Blue ;):

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
.... It is very much a cosmetic thing so I will definitely have it cut off and blanked off so it cannot be seen

Remove it all properly from inside the car ..... just cutting it off will likely cause other electrical faults due to water shorting out wires.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bet MB charge an arm and 2 legs for that option (with the reversing camera as well, of course!).:):):)

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bet MB charge an arm and 2 legs for that option (with the reversing camera as well, of course!).:):):)

twas £700 as a factory order on a new car. That is less than JLR products for the same kit. Aftermarket, a similar one on my W221 was just under £3k, or should have been. The camera is standard now, although additional packages add more functions to it.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
ha ha :)

They've moved on a bit, this is mine (except mine is RHD and the exterior colour is Brilliant Blue ;):

Looks very handy for nicking motorcycle trailers... :shock:. Get back home, press the button "can't have been me gove'nor, no tow ball..."

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looks very handy for nicking motorcycle trailers... :shock:. Get back home, press the button "can't have been me gove'nor, no tow ball..."

By habit I unhitch the caravan and reverse it on the motor mover each time on arrival at a pitch, or return home, then put the tow ball cover on and retract the tow ball by operating the switch in the tailgate edge.

Several times on sites people have asked how I got the caravan there!! Bless :confused:

Think that is good, the motor mover on the caravan enables me to manoeuvre it single handed, it weighs 1800Kg. On the driveway at home I pull on forward, unhitch, drive the car round and park it in front of the garage, then use a hand controller that fits in my coat pocket to spin the caravan round 180 and reverse up a slope to put it away. The yoofs with their souped up cars are always gobsmacked. I say to them its my playstation game and produce the controller to show them, kewl or wot?? :D:D

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom