Question on retrofitting Bonnet Gas Struts

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I quite fancy fitting a pair of gas struts, to lift the bonnet on my C169, instead of the factory swing-up fixed strut, which feels positively ancient and uncouth :rolleyes:

Anyone done this mod? Any pointers?

I've seen a picture of W245 with retrofitted gas struts, sometime ago, so it's definitely possible :)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Can't advise on wether it's possible buddy , but I bourght some replacements from a uk engineering company called SGS who make jacks as well as struts .

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Now this rings a bell.......A few years ago I heard of someone fitting a gas strut instead of the pole support. It didn't work quite the way they planned it and it put a twist on the bonnet when they closed it. It was resolved by fitting a pair equally on both sides.
Don't go for a too stronger strut though, pushing them closed with all your might and your chin leaning over the bonnet can result in much pain when your fingers slip off the front edge of the bonnet. :(
And I'm not talking from experience either, saw it happen, still think it was funny..................

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You need to carefully calculate angles and loads. You need to be able to open the bonnet the right amount but also gecable to close it. Strut length and travel obviously plays a big part but so does the location of each end. You also need to have it set so there is minimal force when the bonnet is on the safety latch.
Finally the mountings at each end will need to withstand quite a lot of force without distorting the panels and mounts.

I did all this years ago on a Defender rear door and it wasn't an easy exercise.

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks chaps. Sounds a bit more involved, than I hoped for.

The W169 bonnet is surprisingly heavy for such a small car, so that might be a problem getting the balance right.

Also, the bonnet is not meant to be closed by pushing it down, but rather just dropping it from about 10 inches ... that might not go well with gas struts, if they are too strong.

Perhaps my modification desire is better channeled somewhere else in the car :)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Thanks chaps. Sounds a bit more involved, than I hoped for.

The W169 bonnet is surprisingly heavy for such a small car, so that might be a problem getting the balance right.

Also, the bonnet is not meant to be closed by pushing it down, but rather just dropping it from about 10 inches ... that might not go well with gas struts, if they are too strong.

Perhaps my modification desire is better channeled somewhere else in the car :)
Try and talk someone else into trying it first , just in case :D

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Try and talk someone else into trying it first , just in case :D
That might be a tad challenging - most W169 owners wouldn't entertain the idea of doing anything, but the bare minimum to maintain the car, let alone spending money, and effort, on modifying it o_O
I'm on my own in my insanity here :alien:

area51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Year2000 A160
If you haven't already done so,maybe have look at Elchfans? I know that this has been done to W168s, perhaps there is a kit available.

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Right, excellent idea - I forgot about that one - thanks.

forrera

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
several W168, W169 and W245s
I think there's a good reason A and B class bonnets don't have gas struts. You're meant to slam the bonnet to shut it and if it doesn't shut, because of the struts, you'll be tempted to push it down with your hand heel and cause these nasty dents by the star.
This one was done by Kwik fit.

Attachments

• Picture 1620.jpg
    Picture 1620.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 11
OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, I've seen even a main dealer tech pushing it down, rather than dropping the bonnet to shut ...

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I think there's a good reason A and B class bonnets don't have gas struts. You're meant to slam the bonnet to shut it and if it doesn't shut, because of the struts, you'll be tempted to push it down with your hand heel and cause these nasty dents by the star.
This one was done by Kwik fit.

IMHO it's just a cost thing. A bent 5mm bar is much cheaper than a pair of gas struts ... if there was a will, they'd have been fitted. The front bonnet/boot lid of a Smart Roadster has a pair of gas struts & the bonnet/boot lid is plastic.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom