Insurance Policy Voided

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 Avantgarde 2000
Last week I found out by chance that with two weeks remaining from the policy expiry date it had been canceled. This was after I noticed the full refund in my account.After a weeks investigation and based on a call recording from last year it has now been voided. Have asked for a copy of the recording but they have yet to respond.

The reason was wrong address on their system even though they had a copy of my no claims discount for the previous year and 27 years lived at the correct address.
The obvious conclusion is that I have tried to have lower premiums based on a more favorable address, but I could have given them my relatives address in Northern Ireland. Instead they have a random address in Cornwall, a place I've never been to.

Want to know where I go from here? If it stays voided then I will be paying much higher premiums for the foreseeable future. I have to balance this against my low mileage 4500pa and facing the upcoming expanded Emission Zone thing to the North Circular Road.

Lord Bungle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 C220 Elegance Saloon
you don't insure with Flux do you?
They have increased the insurance by a very large amount on my EX London Taxi, using the excuse "You may use it as a Taxi".
In the past they also forgot to include my no claims on a renewal so it came in at 5 times the amount I originally paid.
and as I said this years quote is more than it cost me to buy my (very cheap W202 c220, insure it, and tax it.) I think I may replace the taxi with a Vito minibus as it will be cheaper to insure.

I would like to put what I think about insurance companies but it would lead to a permanent ban.

On your problem, are you a member of the AA or RAC ? if you are I think you get access to their legal team, so well worth contacting them.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I had a similar event when I insured with the Post Office. A guy ran into the rear of my car and i consequently made a claim through the Post Office. They were an absolute nightmare to deal with and I was so cross with them I told them in no uncertain terms that I wouldn't be recommending them to any body, despite at that time they were the cheapest in the market place. With that they cancelled my policy there and then and refunded the remainder of my premium. I then had to re-insure on that day before even thinking about getting in the car. DO NOT INSURE WITH THE POST OFFICE AT ALL COSTS. :shock:

OP
Bluegrass

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'll wait a bit longer for their proof then make a decision.
It was with SAGA. I asked them don't they check the information people give when taking out a policy. Reply was " we trust our customers honesty". Wonder if it's the same on a claim?

Everything that I have is registered to the correct address for the past 27 years, (voters register, mortgage, car V5, license, credit reference agencies).

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I had a less dreadful version of similar when I was still in Scotland.
I moved from Falkirk to Linlithgow (FK postcode to EH postcode)- with Directline at the time- no problem they changed my address and sent the updated certificate to my new address.
For some reason I cannot remember now, I happened to look at the policy some months later and noted that the ‘address kept at’ was still showing as an FK post code.
Of course I called them and asked to amend, which they charged me £50 for the privelege, on the basis ‘it’s the customers responsibility to check’.
No common sense argument sunk in as to why on earth I would park my car on my old drive 10 miles away and commute to my new address ....iriots :mad:

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
First action is to contact them and say you are going to the Insurance Ombudsman.

You can't go to the ombudsman until you have a letter of deadlock.

First action is to contact the data protection officer of the insurance company and file a subject access request for the full period of the time the insured was with the company to establish the facts.

Since GDPR was introduced SAR requests are taken much more seriously.

OP
Bluegrass

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You can't go to the ombudsman until you have a letter of deadlock.

First action is to contact the data protection officer of the insurance company and file a subject access request for the full period of the time the insured was with the company to establish the facts.

Since GDPR was introduced SAR requests are taken much more seriously.
Thanks for the guidance. Will do.

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
Mr poverty is correct
And...
Have they put it in writing to you that you are non longer insured by them?

If so bear in mind that you have been advised that you are not insured so should not drive your car.

You could gamble and hire a car with insurance to recover costs from them when they discover their error, or do you have use of another car insured elsewhere?

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Last week I found out by chance that with two weeks remaining from the policy expiry date it had been canceled. This was after I noticed the full refund in my account.After a weeks investigation and based on a call recording from last year it has now been voided. Have asked for a copy of the recording but they have yet to respond.

The reason was wrong address on their system even though they had a copy of my no claims discount for the previous year and 27 years lived at the correct address.
The obvious conclusion is that I have tried to have lower premiums based on a more favorable address, but I could have given them my relatives address in Northern Ireland. Instead they have a random address in Cornwall, a place I've never been to.

Want to know where I go from here? If it stays voided then I will be paying much higher premiums for the foreseeable future. I have to balance this against my low mileage 4500pa and facing the upcoming expanded Emission Zone thing to the North Circular Road.
Yet another example of the "computer says no" culture. Don't bother trying to discuss on the phone its a total waste of time. Polite but firm letter is the way to go. Hold them responsible as well for any additional costs involved. Sheer incompetence. Hope you get it sorted.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Yet another example of the "computer says no" culture. Don't bother trying to discuss on the phone its a total waste of time. Polite but firm letter is the way to go. Hold them responsible as well for any additional costs involved. Sheer incompetence. Hope you get it sorted.
I agree, always put this sort of thing in writing and then there is no argument about who said what. If they fail to satisfy you, ask for a deadlock letter so you can go to the Ombudsman. That will automatically cost them £1000 so often focuses their mind on sorting it out to your satisfaction.

But do it in writing....

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
But do it in writing....

And install Call Recorder Pro on your mobile to record all phone calls in and out, date and time stamped.

Use a voice to text app to transcribe the audio, review manually to correct the software's mistakes.

It's amazing how many disputes are instantly resolved when you offer the other party a transcript of the call.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I'll wait a bit longer for their proof then make a decision.
It was with SAGA. I asked them don't they check the information people give when taking out a policy. Reply was " we trust our customers honesty". Wonder if it's the same on a claim?

Everything that I have is registered to the correct address for the past 27 years, (voters register, mortgage, car V5, license, credit reference agencies).

To which I reply "spherical objects!".

I was insured with Saga for years and I was a bit unhappy the third year so I went hunting via comparison sites. Just at the point of quotation, I took screen dumps of the offers and forwarded them with a price claim which they approved. That went on for about seven years although I accepted 2 x very reasonable increases along the way without argument. But last time they flatly refused to accept what I sent them and when I told them that the only way I could get better documentation was to complete the alternative purchase, they offered no help and just trotted out the same rubbish about being fair to all customers. So I switched to LV= four or five years ago. One year I felt that LV='s increase was a but naughty so I phoned up and five minutes later I had reduction down to an acceptable increase.

This year's renewal for my S203 (with LV=) just arrived and it's only changed by a smidgen (£12) but Saga wrote suggesting that I try them again. They sent their usual flyer showing all the things that are "standard" on their policies. Yes, I do pay LV= extra for some of what Saga include but they were still £60 dearer after all that so they won't be getting any of my dosh this year.

Frankly, I think they're all tarred with the same brush and at some point they all try to screw you!

Best of luck with your fight!

OP
Bluegrass

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mr poverty is correct
And...
Have they put it in writing to you that you are non longer insured by them?

If so bear in mind that you have been advised that you are not insured so should not drive your car.

You could gamble and hire a car with insurance to recover costs from them when they discover their error, or do you have use of another car insured elsewhere?

I'm waiting for the letter and a copy of the call from last year.

About 3 weeks ago got a call from a really angry/stroppy young girl shouting at me for my address after I confirmed my name. Told her I couldn't talk as I was at work and only answered the call in case it was an emergency to do with my elderly parents. Called back at lunch time spoke to someone else who said everything was fine. No issues at all.

I don't have access to another insured car and am not in urgent need of one at the moment. I use it once a week for local driving or to help family members if they need assistance. It's just so frustrating that I have to suffer because of an error on their part

I'm tempted to get cover somewhere else and not mention this.

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
Do not do the latter
Your insurer may flag you.

Put in the SAR or first, call them and escalate the issue to get form confirmation on your position
Then get it in writing

Good luck

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
One of the questions on new insurance application is "Have you had a policy cancelled/refused etc". False reply is an offence and this ain't worth doing porridge for!

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
****** insurers again ! Why do the odds always seem to be stacked in favour of these greedy vultures ?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
****** insurers again ! Why do the odds always seem to be stacked in favour of these greedy vultures ?
Because they want to make (lots of) money

They're having a bet with you just like warranty companies and bookies, they're all in it to make money and doing quite well out of it. I wouldn't mind so much if they kissed me first...:rolleyes:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom