Helmet Cameras.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Is it just me or are an increasing percentage of cyclists & motorcyclists being given a false sense of security by wearing helmet cams ? riding (or driving) aggressively is always a bad idea, being able to take revenge on other road users by posting your altercations on you tube isn't going to help much if you're in a hospital bed. I cant help thinking that some people are going out of their way to create "good footage" by being deliberately belligerent.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
If you could speak to him, Michael Schumacher would be a good person to talk about helmet cams, having a GoPro go through your helmet when you bin it isn't the best safety device...

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Dashcams are the same deal surely, and half the folk on this forum have them. They are assumed to be useful in the event of an accident but actually they bear witness to our own faults too, eg speeding. They can be very incriminating. I know too that crazies drive in a ridiculous fashion in order to post on Youtube. Cameras don't make you safer, just more accountable.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
... They are assumed to be useful in the event of an accident but actually they bear witness to our own faults too, eg speeding. They can be very incriminating. .....

My dash cam doesn't record speed :)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Do you imagine that your speed can't be calculated from a moving image? You might be in for a nasty surprise.
I just said my camera doesn't record speed ..... :rolleyes:
Try not to be too condescending ;)

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Do you imagine that your speed can't be calculated from a moving image? You might be in for a nasty surprise.
Not reliably no,
was it recording at 28fps or 32fps?

Driving too fast for the conditions maybe.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance

You could have hit back by asking him if he understands that dash cams don't actually record, "moving images".
:p

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Apologies if I seemed condescending, it was unintentional. The enormous pool of knowledge on this site impresses me frequently and I have little to contribute to the conversation around engineering, mechanics, electrical et al. I do know about video, having spent 45 years working in that field. The Dashcam has featured in a considerable number of motoring prosecutions. The combination of image and metadata is wonderfully informative, that's why insurance companies like them.

Nigel Hewitt

Reaction score
Website
www.nigelhewitt.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300/W212/2014/2L Diesel Hybrid (Also a Honda CBR1000RA Fireblade)
My helmet cam tends to see the speedometer so I am often just a bit wary of showing it it off.
It also shows when I forget to cancel the indicators...

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Indicators are only kinky for BMW drivers Alastair ;)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Passed a cyclist today with a GoPro stuck to his lid

As has been said it didn't help MS!!!!

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
and there was me thinking this was making a film about conception ... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have a Chinese copy of the Go Pro, an SJCAM. Excellent bit of kit at 1/10th the price. Have GoPro accessories like the chest harness, cycle mount for handle bars, surf board mount, helmet mount for skiing on the side so it releases if falling over (bit like bindings on yer skis), the waterproof housing c/w floaty handle thing.

Bought it for a summer holiday that included coasteering. Thats where you rock up to some kool dudes shed in a car park, pick up a wetsuit, bouyancy aid, rash vest and skid lid; then jump in a rusty old vito van thing, head off to a car park in a nearby village. Put on the wetsuit kit, walk up a hill to a cliff and then jump off into the sea below :D:D c/w SJCAM running, brilliant fun :cool:

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I drove into and through Cambridge today, right to one of student accommodation centres (a friend, who looks after their WiFi of a few thousand users, is on holiday, and asked me to sort out some issues) ... there were, what seems like millions of cyclists, in various stages of undress - from normal clothes to spray-on stuff (and I'm pretty sure some without - unfortunately, not the ones I would care to look at), almost every one, who ran a red light, and there were many, had one of those cams. I dare not come up with any summation ...

o_O

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I drove into and through Cambridge today, right to one of student accommodation centres (a friend, who looks after their WiFi of a few thousand users, is on holiday, and asked me to sort out some issues) ... there were, what seems like millions of cyclists, in various stages of undress - from normal clothes to spray-on stuff (and I'm pretty sure some without - unfortunately, not the ones I would care to look at), almost every one, who ran a red light, and there were many, had one of those cams. I dare not come up with any summation ...

o_O

Clearly if you are an arrogant prat you need to show that the rest of the world is wrong.
As I trundle down the cycle paths some lycra clad peloton invariably goes past two or three abreast on the road annoying the other road users.
The right to use the roads surely comes with common sense and consideration.
A trip with someone elses caravan had me pulling over at regular intervals to reduce tailbacks.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I follow a Idiot Drivers UK Exposed and have seen a few videos on there, from both cyclists and cars, where the camera owner has been at fault, but seems oblivious to this fact as long as they get their “15mins of fame”.

Passed a cyclist today with a GoPro stuck to his lid

As has been said it didn't help MS!!!!

It’s also not the case the camera caused his injuries. As far as I’ve ever seen it’s only a theory that it may have been a contributing factor. But nothing proven.

I think Schumacher’s injuries had more to do with him deliberately skiing off piste and hitting two rocks, one sending him tumbling and the other hitting his head on! Not that he had a helmet camera on.

Top Bottom