Snow socks or chains for E350e

Timborelli

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350e/2018/hybrid
i got caught out (stuck) in snow last March, so keen to get some socks or chains for my car. My rear tyres are 275/35r19 any advice or suggestions?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Where are you planning to drive?
Just in the UK you could go snow socks although I've no personal experience of them (I change to winter wheels and tyres) I know 2 people who used them and ripped off their brake pipes when the socks became entangled so it's not something I'd be looking at. Chains are a bit extreme for the UK and a PITA

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
KÖNIG K-SUMMIT K44

Snow chains.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Snow socks are a waste of space except in a very very temporary fashion.
As above if it’s UK, get some winters or all weathers
I just get winters for my existing rims, but some folk prefer a second set of wheels with winters on

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Snow socks shred as soon as you hit tarmac, they are only of any (limited) use on snow.
Snow chains are more hard wearing.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Put winter tyres on it, get some gravel in bags and put it in the boot with a small folding shovel.
The weight helps with traction and can be used to spread if you still get stuck.

John Laidlaw, what size tyres do you use on the rear, same as the summer tyre size?
One of the reasons I like a wheel change in winter is I have narrower rims and tyres on the rear. Your rear tyres will be a lot wider than mine.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Put winter tyres on it, get some gravel in bags and put it in the boot with a small folding shovel.
The weight helps with traction and can be used to spread if you still get stuck.

John Laidlaw, what size tyres do you use on the rear, same as the summer tyre size?
One of the reasons I like a wheel change in winter is I have narrower rims and tyres on the rear. Your rear tyres will be a lot wider than mine.
Summer set up is:-
Front 255/35/19
Rear 285/30/19
Winter
F&R 255/35/19
This is MB recommended for winter, or match the summers but for the life of me I couldn’t find one brand to cover front and rear, and all things considered I do prefer the narrower rear like yourself for winter.
Rims are 8.5 & 9.5 and the tyres sit nicely.....

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Are there not insurance implications ..... :confused:

My summer rears are a staggered setup, my winter set us is same all around and as the others said, OE sizes so no problem and no need to notify insurers.
There were problems a good few years ago when putting winter tyres on and not notifying them but insurers backed down.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My insurer did question the wheels and tyres on my Landy, as they said they weren’t standard. I had to send in pics as part of the insurance. Once I explained to them they were a safety upgrade (Radial modern tyres) they said fine and no premium hike.

OP
Timborelli

Timborelli

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350e/2018/hybrid
Where are you planning to drive?
Just in the UK you could go snow socks although I've no personal experience of them (I change to winter wheels and tyres) I know 2 people who used them and ripped off their brake pipes when the socks became entangled so it's not something I'd be looking at. Chains are a bit extreme for the UK and a PITA
Thank you for your reply. I do not have any experience with snowsocks either. However I've recently changed from Touareg V6 with a full winter set of wheels and tyres, to a very slippery Merc! I was just trying to be 'prepared' I only generally do UK driving but quite extensivley year round. Maybe a set of winters would be the way to go, and forget the sock idea :)

OP
Timborelli

Timborelli

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350e/2018/hybrid
Snow socks are a waste of space except in a very very temporary fashion.
As above if it’s UK, get some winters or all weathers
I just get winters for my existing rims, but some folk prefer a second set of wheels with winters on
Thanks - I'm beginning to get that impression!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you for your reply. I do not have any experience with snowsocks either. However I've recently changed from Touareg V6 with a full winter set of wheels and tyres, to a very slippery Merc! I was just trying to be 'prepared' I only generally do UK driving but quite extensivley year round. Maybe a set of winters would be the way to go, and forget the sock idea :)
Rear wheel drive Mercedes can be very poor in the ice and snow especially with an empty boot and wide rear tyres. Yours at 275 are particularly wide so will sit on top of the snow and not go anywhere. When I first moved to West Yorkshire my E320 at the time decided it wasn't safe to go anywhere one winter, the traction control system just said "No". Winter tyres fitted and it would stop and go like there was nothing there.
I first came across winter tyres in Canada as I was amazed that the locals were driving around on packed snow like it was tarmac. I then hired a car ad discovered the joy of the correct rubber for the job.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom