Spent the day at BCA Blackbushe

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Some very nice cars spotted as I walked through the ranks, and some bargains across the blocks!

Stunning S500 2011 in a dark metallic brown with a tobacco leaf leather interior 45k miles hammered at £16k.

C63 AMG coupe burbled through £39k some nice SLKs too.

I was ostensibly looking for a replacement car for daughter, ....but then it was occurring to me that Mrs F/S could get a car and we move her Swift to daughter? (Its man logic)

I was sorely tempted by a 2006 CLK320 avantgarde convertible, in silver, full history, and only 37k miles.....it went for £3200 (later this evening Mrs said “you should have done it” :cool: - ho hum, couldn’t talk to her at the time as she’s away on holiday with the other daughter.
There was also a 2008 CLK200K with only 26k miles for £7550 - super shiny black, serviced 700 miles ago.

Bid on a couple of hatchbacks but missed out by 1 bid on both:mad: it’s amazing how fast each car is moved across the block, it can’t be more than 90 seconds for most, blink, or think, and you’ve missed it!

I may have to go again ;)

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Car auctions are a good day out. I grew up near Blackbush and went along a few times as a kid. There's some sharp practice among buyers too. A friend swapped HT leads while viewing, it was pushed in as a non-starter, he bought it for a song.

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
Loved going to Blackbushe when I lived a bit closer, it’s definitely one of the better auction houses.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Been to BCA in Brighouse quite a few times but I’ve yet to find anything cheaper at auction that is want than at a garage. Not sure why but when you see a Mercedes go through for a couple of K more than you paid for one at a main dealer you struggle to comprehend (well I did anyway)

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Definitely a mixed bag price wise but BCA and its webuyanycar off shoot are often an expensive way to buy a car when ALL costs are taken into consideration.

If you are willing to work then there are bargains.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Some very nice cars spotted as I walked through the ranks, and some bargains across the blocks!

Stunning S500 2011 in a dark metallic brown with a tobacco leaf leather interior 45k miles hammered at £16k.

C63 AMG coupe burbled through £39k some nice SLKs too.
I was sorely tempted by a 2006 CLK320 avantgarde convertible, in silver, full history, and only 37k miles.....it went for £3200
There was also a 2008 CLK200K with only 26k miles for £7550 - super shiny black, serviced 700 miles ago.

those prices sound double what u should pay at auction....
and remember the traders gang up on newbies and bit you up till u r robbed.... they want to discourage private buyers

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
those prices sound double what u should pay at auction....
and remember the traders gang up on newbies and bit you up till u r robbed.... they want to discourage private buyers

As a trader, it annoys me when you are up against the private buyer who is willing to spend more knowing they will get it cheaper than on a forecourt. The private punter has more in hammer fees to pay, but trade its trade, and it should remain that way.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
isn't that a bit like a bank robber telling you, you can't raid that one I want to ?

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
but trade its trade, and it should remain that way.

Is it still not the case that trade is trade and is done mostly in the trade, on the nod and a gentleman's agreement, as a way of quickly shifting stock through the system and that a good number of traders never send a profitable motor to the block?

isn't that a bit like a bank robber telling you, you can't raid that one I want to ?

More like, you rob it if you like, there's no money in it :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Depends on the trader I guess- ‘decent’ ones will buy there and add some value in terms of making it fit for sale, offer some warranty and finance options to the private buyer down the line. They are entitled to make a degree of profit for that of course....private buyers direct to auction are in the ‘buyer beware’ territory

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Depends on the trader I guess- ‘decent’ ones will buy there and add some value in terms of making it fit for sale, offer some warranty and finance options to the private buyer down the line. They are entitled to make a degree of profit for that of course....private buyers direct to auction are in the ‘buyer beware’ territory
Agreed. If a private buyer is prepared to assume the same risks advance dealer why shouldn't they be allowed to bid?

OP
Flyinspanner

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
As a trader, it annoys me when you are up against the private buyer who is willing to spend more knowing they will get it cheaper than on a forecourt. The private punter has more in hammer fees to pay, but trade its trade, and it should remain that way.

If it was only meant for “trade”, private buyers wouldn’t be allowed in.

I doubt that the few private individuals there buy much of the stock, we will buy one and go home (probably for the next 10 years) but we probably will get it serviced/repaired at a garage, so the trade still gets money from us.

I actually bumped into a friend of mine who is a trader, who bought a few cars, and goes every week, sometimes twice. :- would you say he is greedy if some traders can’t afford to buy that many?

And frankly the cars I was looking at probably wouldn’t grace many forecourts, (they may grace the selling from home kind of market [sometimes disguised as private sellers] so probably I’m not about to decimate the running of any legitimate trader)

Your comment that “it annoys you” would be like me saying no one should be allowed to book on a no-frills airline, you should all book with my full service airline.

Live and let live. :)

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
Not been to BCA Blackbushe for about 5 years. Reason being that I was looking for an Audo Allroad and found the hammer price no cheaper than a private sale, or even a dealer.

A very nice looking Allroad came through but the front suspension was dragging on the floor. This means at least £2 grands worth of work on the Air Suspension to put right, assuming you don't want to get dirty yourself.
It went for £5800, so £7800, assuming all else was good (what's the chances of that on an Allroad!).
On the average forecourt, they would be priced at about £6 grand, so I walked away and never came back...

laurie.lea

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 300 (2009) E Class Estate S212 (2012)
What's the buyers premium at BCA these days ?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.

Viewpoint from the other side. I used to be a vendor at various BCA and Manheim sites across the country when I was the Disposals Manager for a major Contract Hire Company before I retired. We used to love it when a private buyer stepped into the ring. Just meant pound notes to us.

I even knew a guy from another large Contract Hire Company who would run the bidding up with a private buyer. He would end up paying almost retail for the car. The only thing you have to be wary of is having the final bid. You need to be good at reading people to run the bidding.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I've bought a few at auction, private for the family, and done ok(ish).
The trick is to set my price for a car and not be taken in by the hype of the moment. But I used to believe that if I pay a little more than the knowledgable dealers then I won't go far wrong.
I've seen many cars that have potential for much renovation sell for crazy prices and don't see the profit, or the private buyer advantage, when the car is brought back from neglect.

Auctions evolved some so that anyone and everyone is there, from multi purchase dealers to a teenager with girlfriend full of excitement.

I liked that I could browse the rows of cars rather than trapse for miles here and there looking at dross advertised by chancers misdescribing their often auction bought car.

Now I have evolved and prefer the idea of buying privately so that I can take longer to inspect, hopefully test drive, and of course research the cars history, specifically MOT history, and much from my PC before a possible wasted journey to see it.

Many dealers used to buy in from auction in Glasgow and drive down to Preston and Manchester auctions and make a profit. A Scottish car will likely rust faster but you won't know you've bought one till later. Privately there is chance to learn where the car has lived.

Both ways have risk, in fact buying any vehicle is a great risk these days because they're so complex and electronic dependant.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I've bought a few at auction, private for the family, and done ok(ish).
The trick is to set my price for a car and not be taken in by the hype of the moment. But I used to believe that if I pay a little more than the knowledgable dealers then I won't go far wrong.

That's the trick Martin, set your limit and stick to it, and remember adopt a poker face, don't give them any clues a to how keen you are ! :)

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
That's the trick Martin, set your limit and stick to it, and remember adopt a poker face, don't give them any clues a to how keen you are ! :)

I don't think this works...
a trader doesn't give a stuff if he buys a wreck, as will knock it out to some mug, ripping him of 2 to 6 k
if you have a clue about cars and have a good look round, all the traders will be right, lets screw this one he's found a good one

at the auctions where proper cars go for 60% less than retail, I can image they probably have a club where they chip in to put a bung on for the trader who gets caught out and wins one that they've collectively up bid

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't think this works...
a trader doesn't give a stuff if he buys a wreck, as will knock it out to some mug, ripping him of 2 to 6 k
if you have a clue about cars and have a good look round, all the traders will be right, lets screw this one he's found a good one

at the auctions where proper cars go for 60% less than retail, I can image they probably have a club where they chip in to put a bung on for the trader who gets caught out and wins one that they've collectively up bid

I don't know what sort of Auctions you go to but Fleet Auctions just don't work like that. I think you must be referring to back street banger Auctions or the like.

I spent 45 years as a fleet vendor on behalf of the third largest Contract Hire Company in the UK at that time. Fleet Auctions and their buyers just aren't like that. Despite what you think a proper trader/dealer is concerned about his reputation because his success depends on it. The motor trade doesn't enjoy a good reputation and that is why it is important that the proper dealer rises above the rest. :)

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Can you bid online these days?

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom