Is it worth using Iron X?

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I wondered is it worth using Iron X?

OK I can see the more contaminant one dissolves off the less one has to clay off ( less mechanical marring etc.) and it might shorten the claying process, and if machine polishing reduce the amount of damaging crude on a polishing pad.

And it might remove more embedded contaminants, that over time could damage paint (er like would I ever even notice it?? )

Does it make a real difference?

I am being open minded here.
I remember when a Friend first introduced me to a Clay bar.
Sounded like the most ludicrous waste of time, and potentially very damaging .... “come on scrubbing some clay over a slightly gritty car ... Nuts”

Ooops ... how wrong can one be ... Once used! hooked for life!! Super smooth, Glossier look, deeper shine and hey it cuts the time to wax in half ... it couldnt get better
Well it did ... as the beading shed dirty water better and for longer!

Assuming it is worth it.

Which is better Carpro Iron X ( states safe on all car surfaces including aluminium, anodised and chrome covered plastic)
Or Bilthamber Korrosol?
-generally good value stuff, but it does warn about Chromed Plastic parts and anodised trim and plastic parts in tne Spec sheet.

I want the safe route!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Yes , I use it in the lower half of the car , probably once a year before I clay bar. I can recommend the Bilt hamber , good stuff

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I use it on my car (wheels). Also used it on my wife's 4 year old car (wheels and body) and was amazed at the amount of purple on the body. It is a nice product - cannot say if it is better or worse than other brands - however I avoid cheap stuff purely because I believe it is cheaper for a reason (inferior ingredients etc). I might be paying for the name but, hey ho!

re clay bars - I've never tried them but a clay mitt worked wonders on my wife's car and worked to remove watermarks on my car!

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Just bought some Autofinesse Iron Out, used by a lot of pro detailers.

Yet to use it but wanted something to get rid of many of those little clingy spots as possible!

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Yes , I use it in the lower half of the car , probably once a year before I clay bar. I can recommend the Bilt hamber , good stuff
Me too. Reminds me mine needs its pre winter full spa treatment soon.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me too. Reminds me mine needs its pre winter full spa treatment soon.
The trick is to get it done on one of the last decent sunny weather days , a bit like putting winter tyres on , I always try and do it early long before it hits freezing weather

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5

I saw that Bilt Hamber Korrosol variant, and was pretty keen on its PH Neutral balance formula.
But I was seriously put off a sentence in the Download pdf. where it says:
“ Do not apply on chromed plastic or chromed films, as the conductive materials may be removed“

Thinking of the CL there are lots of chrome detailed bits all over it, are they chromed metal or alloy or like the centre star ... pretty sure that is chromed plastic. And the door cill protectors they are £700 a side! Some are stainless but some are a film of what ever on plastic!

Has anyone ever had a bad reaction to any surfaces?

That said the CarPro Iron X says its save on all body part materials, is the true or are they just not quite as truthful ... I assume they all pretty much use the same ingredients?

Would 500 ml be enough to do an S Class?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
500ml should do the car a couple of times . No I've never had a reaction , it's probably a general warning for people that don't follow/read the directions of use .

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Thanks
One review said it damaged his B pillar ( admittedly no details) and another said it ruined his Porsche Whhels in one minute! (Of course you never know if he applied it to red hot wheels?)

Just follow the instructions, not sure I would use in on a B pillar!!! Did a great job on my wheels though

Morethanpolish

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Kompressor
Saw this posted up yesterday on a Forum:
I have comparison tested Race Glaze Ironpro against a couple of other market leading dedicated iron fallout removers.
I would say that IronPRO performs better than Carpro ironX - I sprayed IronPRO after cleaning a wheel with ironX and it revealed some fallout remaining....but clean a wheel with IronPro and then use ironX, revealed no iron residue remaining.
Summary: faster and more efficient cleaning.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Weird, I went on this thinking it was about doing the laundry, something I don't get to do.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
One comment I've heard about such things is "do you keep a dog and bark yourself??" Never been brave enough to try it, SWMBO is a very valid moniker!!:oops::oops:

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom