Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Completely agree- he’s a fantastic driver but very Dutch....always the other guy is the idiot forgetting only a year or so ago the inanely desperate things he used to do, and by this evidence still does- even despite as Lewis pointed out he had it all to lose (and did)....sympathy 0 I’m afraid

He has a short memory for sure.

The clash with Lewis and Vettel earlier in the same year were all rash and desperate lunges which earned a "stupid" penalty in his eyes. Ok they were for position, but the art of driving remains the same, regardless of who you are attempting to pass, for whatever reason. Look how careful Lewis was in Singapore not to trip over Grojean, who was all over the place battling with other cars, it cost him nearly 10 seconds, but he still won the race.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
From my view, Ocon should have backed out of it, it was clumsy. But Verstappen should have just lifted and not turned across the apex so sharply, that corner you can run through the middle and apex on the left of the Senna S and still get a decent exit onto the straight, he would have had the slipstream too so he would have lost about 0.5 second to Lewis who was 3 seconds behind at the time.

I agree

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Is there some obscure new rule that says you must not pass the race leader?
If so, Ocon was in the wrong.

Watching the incident videos, Ocon is getting too much stick for this incident. He had been lapping faster than Max, on better tyres, and would obviously try to unlap himself. He's a racing driver. Max was stupid trying to defend so bullishly when there was really no need, and he got what he deserved. Lewis' mature comment summed it up perfectly.

Max and Vettel seem to be from the same mould - terrific drivers, but not yet mature enough to weigh the odds properly.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I'm another glad to see Robert back in an F1 car. A really talented and nice guy who could have gone far without that awful rally crash. I hope he does well.

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
It seems Max Verstappen has learnt nothing. If he tried that with Danny Ric or many others on the grid he'd end up on his a$$

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46309361

Oh bless him, he will calm down or be the best driver who never won a world championship.

His analogy with football or other sports is correct I guess but you can do a bit of pushing and still score a goal but F1 is not so forgiving.

Robin

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I don't. It was good in the nineties until driving aids turned it into a procession.

There are no driver aids. They’re banned.

Or are you referring to KERS & DRS? If so they’re not driver aids.

TCS
ESP
ABS
ESR
EBFD

Etc etc are all banned. They even removed the pit helping them with the launch at the start. That’s now controlled solely by the driver.

RUBBER_UNDIES

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 w211 E270 177 BHP
There are no driver aids. They’re banned.

Or are you referring to KERS & DRS? If so they’re not driver aids.

TCS
ESP
ABS
ESR
EBFD

Etc etc are all banned. They even removed the pit helping them with the launch at the start. That’s now controlled solely by the driver.
Thank you.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Key for me is the imminent reduction in the dependence on aero, so we should start to see more overtakes..... in theory! o_O

They need to design more or better mechanical grip. I don’t think these new front wings will do much. But I hope it does allow closer racing.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
They need to design more or better mechanical grip. I don’t think these new front wings will do much. But I hope it does allow closer racing.

They should indeed do less..... as you say, the aim is for more mechanical grip so the cars can follow closer, not sh4g their tyres within 2 laps when doing so..... hopefully permit more overtaking.

Best laid plans, etc!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom