CLS 350 W218 2012 intermittent kick down

Frank Patten

Reaction score
Website
www.frankpatten.co.uk
Your Mercedes
W212 E class 220cdi, R171 200 SLK
Hi All, This is my son-in-law’s car. During normal cruising if the accelerator is suddenly pressed for overtaking the gearbox fails to change down and the car simply accelerates slowly. The kick down switch also fails to work although it has been changed twice. The fault occurs more when it has been recently used, if it is left for several days it works OK for a while. The garage (not a Mercedes dealer) appears to have no idea what is wrong. They have changed various parts costing around £1200 so far. We have lost track of what was changed. We don’t want to go to a main agent, so has anyone any idea of where to start or can someone recommend an independent in the Hemel Hempstead area please?

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Blue EFFICIENCY 250 CDI Sport 2013
Hi All, This is my son-in-law’s car. During normal cruising if the accelerator is suddenly pressed for overtaking the gearbox fails to change down and the car simply accelerates slowly. The kick down switch also fails to work although it has been changed twice. The fault occurs more when it has been recently used, if it is left for several days it works OK for a while. The garage (not a Mercedes dealer) appears to have no idea what is wrong. They have changed various parts costing around £1200 so far. We have lost track of what was changed. We don’t want to go to a main agent, so has anyone any idea of where to start or can someone recommend an independent in the Hemel Hempstead area please?
Without fear of contradiction Sir, your problem lies with the hated EGR valve, if you look through the threads here you will find a very very well documented cure for this. I had the same problem, my indie replaced the EGR valve and that cured it more or less, I say that because it refused to kick down one since then, as I say there is a very well documented cure on one of the threads here, the difference there being that the member cleaned out the whole manifold, and to quote him 'she pulls like a train' now.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
I wouldn't suggest replacing any parts until we have at least the fault codes of what is being stored for this fault to happen.

Could have an air leak, a throttle pedal fault or even just need a software update post whats already been replaced. This isn't a guessing game.

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wouldn't suggest replacing any parts until we have at least the fault codes of what is being stored for this fault to happen.

Could have an air leak, a throttle pedal fault or even just need a software update post whats already been replaced. This isn't a guessing game.
Quite, on the law of averages no two are the exact same.

OP
F

Frank Patten

Reaction score
Website
www.frankpatten.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Thanks very much for your help guys, its good to have an idea of where we are going. I have told my daughter to get the fault codes and a list of replaced parts from the previous garage who have now given up on the car. When I get the info I will post it here.

Thanks again,
Frank.

OP
F

Frank Patten

Reaction score
Website
www.frankpatten.co.uk
Your Mercedes
OK, I have the details of what has been replace but we don’t have the fault codes:
7 Feb 18 Exhaust Air Pressure Sensor
22 Feb MA0149976445 O ring
MN007603012100 Seal Ring
VA0091535028 Sensor
2 March EGR valves
6 July (during a service) Air Mass Flow meter & Air filter.
But the fault still persists. I have a feeling that this may not help much but any clues would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Frank.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Looks like they guessed at a boost leak, then a EGR fault before giving up? As you say, without codes, its difficult to say. Freeze frame data at the time of limp mode will give you some insight into the root cause.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Sounds like they’ve been guessing then guessing again rather than getting back to diagnostic basics - costly

OP
F

Frank Patten

Reaction score
Website
www.frankpatten.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate your input. I will tell my daughter to take the old bills with her when she takes the car to Welwyn Merx. Hopefully they will fix it properly!

Regards, Frank.

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate your input. I will tell my daughter to take the old bills with her when she takes the car to Welwyn Merx. Hopefully they will fix it properly!

Regards, Frank.
Did you get that problem sorted Frank? Mine has started to do intermittent acceleration again after the EGR valve was replaced by my indie who read the codes.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom