How do we clean steering wheels, gear knobs etc ?

Omega

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Whats the best thing to clean steering wheels, gear knobs etc ?
I know it might seem a daft question, but I’m not 100% certain what they are covered with, and don’t want to over do it.

They started to get a bit sticky about 6 months ago,,,, but after someone left a window ajar in the rain yesterday, they got worse.

Is soapy water o.k ?

Is alcohol needed ?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Soap and warm water is what I've used in the past . Cheap ,quick and easy . Try that first

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Soapy water works well. Fairy liquid and a nail brush or old toothbrush will also work. I use Gliptone cleaner and conditioner, which I'd fully recommend. It makes the car smell of rich new leather once it's been done, for about a week :D

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
+1 for gliptone leather cleaner. It's great.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Flash all purpose wipes, baby wipes. Surprising the amount of dirt and whatever they lift off no matter how regularly you do it. :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Small amount of Ariel liquid diluted in bowl one
Micro fibre cloth damped in said liquid, use circular motions to clean off what will be revolting....
Bowl 2 with clean water and clean microfibre cloth damped to rinse off
Apply Gliptone as Craig and Alex suggest....
Mine differs slightly in that I have Alcantara grips
So no Gliptone but after the 2 bowls I use a hairdryer to dry the Alcantara whilst rejuvenating it with a Nubuck suede brush......
Obsessive, moi?:rolleyes:

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As above, and I also use covers for the steering wheel and gearshift handle, whenever the car goes in a garage, or when I'm working on one of my silly mods ... Oh, and unscented baby wipes, in between proper cleaning / Gliptone treatment.

CJD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 AMG Line, Premium Plus, S205 Estate, 2018
For cleaning normal leather covered steering wheels - especially ones that have gone shiny , I use a magic eraser sponge and a little bit of water.
The results can be very impressive - just take it gently and don't rub very hard.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Small amount of Ariel liquid diluted in bowl one
Micro fibre cloth damped in said liquid, use circular motions to clean off what will be revolting....
Bowl 2 with clean water and clean microfibre cloth damped to rinse off
Apply Gliptone as Craig and Alex suggest....
Mine differs slightly in that I have Alcantara grips
So no Gliptone but after the 2 bowls I use a hairdryer to dry the Alcantara whilst rejuvenating it with a Nubuck suede brush......
Obsessive, moi?:rolleyes:
You use a two-bowl method for your steering wheel?!

What flow rate do you fill the bowl with? :D I have a 900 litre per second outside tap and I fill the bowl for 5 minutes straight to remove any contaminants. Is this sufficient? ;)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

What flow rate do you fill the bowl with? :D I have a 900 litre per second outside tap and I fill the bowl for 5 minutes straight to remove any contaminants. Is this sufficient? ;)

John has professional Bowls that are bigger than everyone elses

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I use baby wipes and Gliptone

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4

2 bowls, 3 microfibre cloths,one hairdryer and one nubuck brush, I beg your pudding!
You’ll have to be in the region of 4 litres per minute Craig depending on the bowl size, however I would run the tap for several weeks before use and then ( and only then) run the water through a filter and additionally boil it until steaming, and allow to condensate back into the bowl
Also only use a clear or opaque bowl so you can see the contaminants and also the condensation process
Sure I’ve forgotten something here... :rolleyes:

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Prevention is better than cure. If you pick your nose don't wipe your fingers on the wheel, swallow the bogey ;):D:D

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
One should use driving gloves to save contamination, they are available at all good charity shops.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom