Do these wheels/tyres fit? Read this post first!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
As above. You need more sidewall not less and less width not more on the front and rear.
You also need to know the offset (ET) of both existing and proposed wheels.

Voulme11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class C63 2012 6.2L
Massive thanks for the info, it's really really important to get your wheels right regardless of the car you drive, never mind a Merc! Anyway, I wanted to add onto this thread instead of making a new one and cluttering the forum, but: what would you all recommend out of the following? https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/235-35-19?range=premium

I love the sound of the ContinentalTS 810 S235/35R19 91V, Mercedes OEM, Winter tyres too so it's the right time of year, fairly good wet grip rating. Expensive, yes. But absolutely worth the cash for quality and safety. Is there anywhere which does these for a lot cheaper? Had a quick look on camskill but I don't think their price includes fitting.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
The wet grip rating can be misleading.
It refers to stopping distance, not how effective it is in snow or slush.
The two parameters are not necessarily inclusive.

moj91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d-T, W204 C250CDI-T, W220 S320CDI (AMG Kit), W168 A170CDI, W210&W124 OM606...
I would avoid the TS810 - it is an old pattern. You would be much better with the Continental WinterContact TS 850 P, as available from Openeo. Take a look at http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/, their info is pretty up to date and they also have a price comparison tool for the sizes you search.

The size you are looking at is not the best for winter tyres, have you considered a smaller set of winter alloys to which you can fit a wider, cheaper variety of winter tyres to?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Massive thanks for the info, it's really really important to get your wheels right regardless of the car you drive, never mind a Merc! Anyway, I wanted to add onto this thread instead of making a new one and cluttering the forum, but: what would you all recommend out of the following? https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/235-35-19?range=premium

I love the sound of the Continental TS 810 S235/35R19 91V, Mercedes OEM, Winter tyres too so it's the right time of year, fairly good wet grip rating. Expensive, yes. But absolutely worth the cash for quality and safety. Is there anywhere which does these for a lot cheaper? Had a quick look on camskill but I don't think their price includes fitting.

Do check with your local Tyre Centre and I don't mean the local Qwik-Fit or whatever. Our local Tyre Centre, Kirkley Tyres, beat Black Circles by some considerable margin when I change the rears on mine. And i am not just talking about a tenner either. It was about £30 quid a tyre if my memory serves my correctly. :D

Voulme11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class C63 2012 6.2L
The wet grip rating can be misleading.
It refers to stopping distance, not how effective it is in snow or slush.
The two parameters are not necessarily inclusive.

Are you sure? I was under the impression that it was an indication of stopping distance specifically in wet conditions. I could be wrong though!

Voulme11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class C63 2012 6.2L
I would avoid the TS810 - it is an old pattern. You would be much better with the Continental WinterContact TS 850 P, as available from Openeo. Take a look at http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/, their info is pretty up to date and they also have a price comparison tool for the sizes you search.

The size you are looking at is not the best for winter tyres, have you considered a smaller set of winter alloys to which you can fit a wider, cheaper variety of winter tyres to?

Hi there. Firstly, I'd like to say thanks for the advice. I'll jump in and take a look at a few different reviews from different sources, too. I hadn't considered a smaller set of winter alloys actually, but in hindsight you're probably right. How far do you reckon I could downsize? By just an inch or two? Cheers anyway.

Voulme11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class C63 2012 6.2L
Do check with your local Tyre Centre and I don't mean the local Qwik-Fit or whatever. Our local Tyre Centre, Kirkley Tyres, beat Black Circles by some considerable margin when I change the rears on mine. And i am not just talking about a tenner either. It was about £30 quid a tyre if my memory serves my correctly. :D

Thanks. I'm going to be taking some time off work either Thursday or Friday to go and poke my nose around a few different garages and see what quotes I can find. I won't just be going to the nearest garage, mind. I'm very picky about who I'll allow to touch my car for obvious reasons haha.

£30 cheaper sounds quite competitive though, so that's promising! Was this on a premium set of tyres too?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Thanks. I'm going to be taking some time off work either Thursday or Friday to go and poke my nose around a few different garages and see what quotes I can find. I won't just be going to the nearest garage, mind. I'm very picky about who I'll allow to touch my car for obvious reasons haha.

£30 cheaper sounds quite competitive though, so that's promising! Was this on a premium set of tyres too?

Yes, it was Pirelli P Zero, they were 18" x 255's :)

moj91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d-T, W204 C250CDI-T, W220 S320CDI (AMG Kit), W168 A170CDI, W210&W124 OM606...
Hi there. Firstly, I'd like to say thanks for the advice. I'll jump in and take a look at a few different reviews from different sources, too. I hadn't considered a smaller set of winter alloys actually, but in hindsight you're probably right. How far do you reckon I could downsize? By just an inch or two? Cheers anyway.

Hi,

On your C63 i would probably not go smaller than an 18", the risk being a 17" (which I have) may not clear your AMG brakes. (i could be wrong though).

If you look at the guidance at the start of this thread it outlines a good website for comparing wheel/tyre sizes which should fit your car. The pros of getting an 18" set are that you can fit higher profile tyres, which will survive bad roads better and you wont have to worry so much about destroying your nice 19's. Assuming you have the space to store them... you'll save a few ££ too by not stripping tyres off and on each season, depending how long they last of course!

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Are you sure? I was under the impression that it was an indication of stopping distance specifically in wet conditions. I could be wrong though!

Exactly right. I didn't make myself clear - it does refer to WET stopping distance. The reason for my comment was that some equate this as a 'snow' performance indicator, which in fact it is not.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Hi,

On your C63 i would probably not go smaller than an 18", the risk being a 17" (which I have) may not clear your AMG brakes. (i could be wrong though).

If you look at the guidance at the start of this thread it outlines a good website for comparing wheel/tyre sizes which should fit your car. The pros of getting an 18" set are that you can fit higher profile tyres, which will survive bad roads better and you wont have to worry so much about destroying your nice 19's. Assuming you have the space to store them... you'll save a few ££ too by not stripping tyres off and on each season, depending how long they last of course!

You are correct. 18" is the smallest wheel that will clear the C63 front calipers
Was this the website you were thinking of?
https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...2=40&wheel_size=17&wheel_width=7-5&offset2=48

Voulme11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class C63 2012 6.2L
Yes, it was Pirelli P Zero, they were 18" x 255's :)

Spot on, I like the sound of that :) It's good to know that garages can be so competitive even on premium tyres.

Voulme11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class C63 2012 6.2L
Hi,

Thanks for the pointer -- I'll definitely take 18" into consideration after reading this. Any method of money saving is a plus when running an expensive vehicle haha

Voulme11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class C63 2012 6.2L
Exactly right. I didn't make myself clear - it does refer to WET stopping distance. The reason for my comment was that some equate this as a 'snow' performance indicator, which in fact it is not.

Ahhh okay, I get you now. Thanks for clearing that up!

peternutkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 cdi estate 2001
I want to go the opposite way. Will 15" wheels from the from the earlier c220 fit my c220 which has 16" wheels. I want to improve the ride.

Thanks

Peter

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I want to go the opposite way. Will 15" wheels from the from the earlier c220 fit my c220 which has 16" wheels. I want to improve the ride.

Thanks

Peter

There won't be much difference in ride, both have a good size tyre wall.

W203 takes a 7-8 x 15" ET35 wheel

peternutkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 cdi estate 2001
OK thanks. My Peugeot 406 has 195/65/15's and rides better than the C220, the 16" are also quite noisy but that's probably the type of tyre.

Peter

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Tyre type and profile both- your Pug had 65 profile which is quite high!

peternutkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 cdi estate 2001
The alternative size shown for the c220 is the same size with a 65 profile I just wondered if the wheels are a direct swap?

Peter

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom