DVLA Conference Call?

Paul Goff

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 C220CDi CD Estate
Just a little heads up to anyone who might need to know about this!

My lodger, young, recently qualified driver, female and pregnant, has just had a write off accident and now, the claim handlers (Co Parts, Bristol) Is insisting that, to process her full comp insurance claim, she must take part in a conference call between herself, Co Parts & the DVLA. But they don't know, or won't say what the purpose of the call is!
Suffice to say that this and other factors are stressing her out :-(

So she called Co Parts and handed them over to me in the hope they could explain it to me, however all that they were able/willing to say was that it was standard procedure by the underwriters of her insurance.

We then called the insurers and after about half an hour of various call hold tunes were finally told by the "file manager" that it was standard procedure and that it MUST be done to process the claim.
I pressed them hard about that, along the lines that it may be standard procedure but why is it?, and finally they were forced to say that they did not know!
As this was the usual offshore call centre I wasn't surprised, cultural differences play a part in such conversations.

So a call to the DVLA and bingo, it's all about undisclosed or post proposal motoring convictions.
The DVLA need your permission to give the insurers, or the claim handlers, your licence details ;-)
Easiest way, a conference call.

So there is another thing to be aware of, be extra sure that you give your insurers up to date info re any convictions as soon as possible!

I am very sure that, despite Katy allowing the DVLA permission to give Debenhams Insurance details of any existing convictions when she took out the policy, had there been another one since then that they had not been told about, she would be looking straight at, zero cover!!!

Quite rightly, such things are being tightened up, but why the the devil were neither Co Parts or the insurers able to tell her that was what it was all about?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I had a similar 3 way conference call years ago ..... can't remember now why :confused:

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Just a little heads up to anyone who might need to know about this!

My lodger, young, recently qualified driver, female and pregnant, has just had a write off accident and now, the claim handlers (Co Parts, Bristol) Is insisting that, to process her full comp insurance claim, she must take part in a conference call between herself, Co Parts & the DVLA. But they don't know, or won't say what the purpose of the call is!
Suffice to say that this and other factors are stressing her out :-(

So she called Co Parts and handed them over to me in the hope they could explain it to me, however all that they were able/willing to say was that it was standard procedure by the underwriters of her insurance.

We then called the insurers and after about half an hour of various call hold tunes were finally told by the "file manager" that it was standard procedure and that it MUST be done to process the claim.
I pressed them hard about that, along the lines that it may be standard procedure but why is it?, and finally they were forced to say that they did not know!
As this was the usual offshore call centre I wasn't surprised, cultural differences play a part in such conversations.

So a call to the DVLA and bingo, it's all about undisclosed or post proposal motoring convictions.
The DVLA need your permission to give the insurers, or the claim handlers, your licence details ;-)
Easiest way, a conference call.

So there is another thing to be aware of, be extra sure that you give your insurers up to date info re any convictions as soon as possible!

I am very sure that, despite Katy allowing the DVLA permission to give Debenhams Insurance details of any existing convictions when she took out the policy, had there been another one since then that they had not been told about, she would be looking straight at, zero cover!!!

Quite rightly, such things are being tightened up, but why the the devil were neither Co Parts or the insurers able to tell her that was what it was all about?
If she did have anything to hide I guess they did not want to tip her off about their fishing expedition to try and avoid liability, hence no reason forthcoming.

Mercedes SL500 R231

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
So, all post cover convictions (of the motoring variety?) must be disclosed when they happen?

thebiglad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 270 cdi

Quite wrongly ! There is a cornerstone clause in ALL insurance and assurance contracts and that is "utmost good faith". This applies at the outset of the contract and once declared, stands for the life of the contract., normally 1 year for motor insurance.

This means in simple terms that the contract is based on the information given at quotation/outset of contract, for the life of the contract.

OP
P

Paul Goff

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 C220CDi CD Estate
So, all post cover convictions (of the motoring variety?) must be disclosed when they happen?

I always understood that to be the case anyway, clearly this reinforces the wisdom of doing so, as per BigLad's post.

Of course it may prove to be even more wise to arm oneself with a new quote from a competing insurer which includes the new conviction, AND to establish what if any refund of premium is due if the existing policy is cancelled :)
If one thing is certain, it's that the existing insurer will make every effort to wring maximum revenue out of the situation if they think they have you in an arm lock.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Interesting - I always assumed they wanted to know about any convictions as soon as possible. However, this is from my current LV Policy:

At renewal, you must also let us know if any of the information has changed for you and/or anyone insured under your policy, including any claims or motoring convictions/endorsements.“

Last edited:

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Here we go again. Although I appreciate insurers should be kept up to date with convictions etc. (including any claims where they haven't been involved), I think the "real" reason is to explore every possible opportunity to decline settlement. Period !

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
As I said it was a fishing expedition with the sole (nice pun intended) purpose of trying to avoid their liabilities.:)

Mercedes SL500 R231

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Maybe a clause of the ‘contract’ (The policy) is that any subsequent conviction or speed awareness course etc, must be declared ASAP?

To not do so would maybe then be a breach of the contract?

You have to read all the conditions/schedule etc.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
https://www.nacro.org.uk/resettleme...ring-criminal-records-to-insurance-providers/
The conference call is almost certainly down to the DATA PROTECTION ACT and my interpretation would be that the contract applying/justification for said application would be based on the insurance contract between driver and insurance company. BUT in this case the company involved is the claims processing company whose business relationship is with the insurance company and not the driver???/
https://assets.publishing.service.g...lease-of-information-from-dvlas-registers.pdf

Last edited:

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom