W221 Harmon Kardon amp repair

Milu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W216 cl500
Had my amp to BBA in October when I bought the car. It's now intermittent after less than 2 months. I have everything functional inc phone and radio stations but no sound on anything
I suppose I have to contact BBA to give them chance to sort before I start moaning
I have had a look and the fibre optic flashy thing is working including a return flash from the amp .
I guess the fact I have radio station means the unit is awake but no output stage.

What a load of sh*t

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
the fix doesn't work - many have tried it and been disappointed, which points me to think its a reflow issue rather than a few capacitors need a kick - poor quality manufacture not cheap components

there's a post about HK doing a repair service, which no doubt just gives you a new amp as it would be much cheaper than having people strip it down and screw in a new circuit board?

Milu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W216 cl500
Yep it's just crap stuff. Thing that annoys me is where the value is for the original purchasers of these 'top of the range' motors. Just because someone can afford 90k for a new car it shouldn't follow that they can easily afford( be ripped off) expensive repairs after just a few years.

I'm an upholsterer and often work on furniture that is 30+ years old,where the customer paid much more than average but got value down the line as the furniture last very well. Not the case with the mugs that buy cars.

If I don't get much joy with my current repair then maybe HK is the way forward,especially if it's cheaper than paying MB mark up.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
3 year old Bentley's with NAIM hi fi all go wrong

the world moved to let trash the planet asap and make multi millionaires in to multi billionaires
the French have the right attitude, the British are pathetic slaves, to dim to notice for 80% of them their quality of life halved in the last 30 years

Milu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W216 cl500
Well I've had word today that it's water damage. I must admit I'm surprised because the area was all dry. Of course this means it's a different repair so I have to pay again if they sort it
Bit hacked off that the first repair fee doesn't cover it but what can I do? If I just have it back I'm no better off.
Has anyone had water damage in the CL? If so where from?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
its easy to think water drips straight on it whenever you open the boot in the rain, or having washed the car....

if you watch, a good 20ml will roll off the boot every time its wet and it drops "directly" down where the amp sits... however if the boot trim is in place there a massive bucket around the boot hinge that catches it (so if in place should not land on the amp ever...) but it will lead to some general dampness if you keep opening in the rain

oh and the air vents to let air flow through the car, are extraordinarily placed... with a lot of very big holes a good few inches across mounted so low down in the inner rear wing a big puddle, small flood or judicious car washing will allow a good few gallons to be let in so the amp, sat nav, dab and tv models on the left side, and a few others door, seat and what have you modules on the right all die at once. And you will never even get a damp boot floor to give you a clue. Its beautifully designed

Last edited:

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Well I've had word today that it's water damage. I must admit I'm surprised because the area was all dry. Of course this means it's a different repair so I have to pay again if they sort it
Bit hacked off that the first repair fee doesn't cover it but what can I do? If I just have it back I'm no better off.
Has anyone had water damage in the CL? If so where from?

What CL ?
If its a CL 216 there is a weird joint on the edge of the boot. As you open it , it is supposed to stop water running down.
But its strategically placed to start a drip, directly onto the arm bracket that directs water straight into the amp area!
Luckily my drip just got the boot liner, no water damage to amp.
But had it been a high mileage car, pretty sure it would soak through the liner and onto the Amp.
See all the seriously corroded amps for sale on ebay.

I just put a tab of tape a little higher so the forced drip does not hit the boot arm.

BBA reman fixed my Left Channel output problem ...
But they dont tell you exactly what they did. Like changed a capacitor etc?
So they might just have replaced a £3 resistor ha ha ...
But as mine was the most expensive £1400 version of the Amp a £245 repair was most welcome.
They also apparrently cleaned a small circle of dust/soot off the board.

Some say that is brake dust .. sure looks like it directly under the fan.
FD311127-67D8-4F0B-9B75-DDA27E8A60D7.jpeg

I really dont like the wheel arch breather design ... right by the Amp. Its just a series of plastic flaps.
If your wheel liner cracked, bye bye Amps and a ton of other electronic stuff.n:(:(
93C066EE-D7CF-4D74-9E86-EBFF3979ECEC.jpeg
Amazingly even after lots of powerwashing ... mine was bone dry inside!
Note mark on the Amp was a glue residue from the label. I.e. Not corroded.

Last edited:

Milu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W216 cl500
Mine is exactly as yours above. Although I have another module in front of the amp as well. The whole area was bone dry when I removed it and no wet carpets etc. I am going to have a good look around whilst reinstalling at the weekend. Fingers crossed

Also I will say that the service from BBA is very good. Just a little miffed that I've paid for 2 repairs in 2 months.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
did you drive with the boot trim missing.... on a 221 if wet and you open the boot the water will literally go off the boot and inside the amp

a silver module directly in front, is the TV
a black module 8 inches further back leaning toward the wing is the DAB

Milu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W216 cl500
Amp back in now
I'm a bit confused though regarding the water ingress issue. My car was very wet as I opened it just now. However I couldn't see any drips getting in or drips on the carpet or the void where the electronics sit.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Amp back in now
I'm a bit confused though regarding the water ingress issue. My car was very wet as I opened it just now. However I couldn't see any drips getting in or drips on the carpet or the void where the electronics sit.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

maybe not so bad on the 216. on the 221 its not the bit near you as you open the boot its from the boot lid, it rolls sideways and drips off the edge of the boot near each hinge.

If its been polished and the water has beaded then its far worse and you can get more than 40 ml run off each side every time its wet and it runs inside the boot seal but not into any part of the boot the user will see.... almost exclusively falls in the hinge behind the side carpet so if you aren't watching the drips/stream of water fall by the hinge, you might never know this design failure exists

I wipe the boot lid of water with my hand and open it slowly holding it around 1 foot open and waiting for 20 seconds, and if really wet wipe the drips away as they fall. Best car in the world o_O

Riva

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 BlueEfficiency/2010/M278
What CL ?
If its a CL 216 there is a weird joint on the edge of the boot. As you open it , it is supposed to stop water running down.
But its strategically placed to start a drip, directly onto the arm bracket that directs water straight into the amp area!
Luckily my drip just got the boot liner, no water damage to amp.
But had it been a high mileage car, pretty sure it would soak through the liner and onto the Amp.
See all the seriously corroded amps for sale on ebay.

I just put a tab of tape a little higher so the forced drip does not hit the boot arm.

BBA reman fixed my Left Channel output problem ...
But they dont tell you exactly what they did. Like changed a capacitor etc?
So they might just have replaced a £3 resistor ha ha ...
But as mine was the most expensive £1400 version of the Amp a £245 repair was most welcome.
They also apparrently cleaned a small circle of dust/soot off the board.

Some say that is brake dust .. sure looks like it directly under the fan.
View attachment 47319

I really dont like the wheel arch breather design ... right by the Amp. Its just a series of plastic flaps.
If your wheel liner cracked, bye bye Amps and a ton of other electronic stuff.n:(:(
View attachment 47318
Amazingly even after lots of powerwashing ... mine was bone dry inside!
Note mark on the Amp was a glue residue from the label. I.e. Not corroded.
That black "dust" is a burned out chipset/transistor not brake dust :D
Sorry I am reviving a year old thread but I am going through similar issues myself right now, havent opened the circuit yet though. I also have issues during winter only with the amp totally dead right now. The amp also drains my battery

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
That black "dust" is a burned out chipset/transistor not brake dust :D
Sorry I am reviving a year old thread but I am going through similar issues myself right now, havent opened the circuit yet though. I also have issues during winter only with the amp totally dead right now. The amp also drains my battery

My experience is that it's soot/brake dust/emissions as its very close to the exhaust and blows it straight onto the main board. Doesn't smell like like the usual blown silicon.

mbmc123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w221/350/012/50k
Same problem with my 2012 W221. The radio sound would go off very occasionally in the summer.
Now winters here, the sound is off more often then on. I inspected the amp yesterday, no sign of water
ingress but I too have the black powder around the fan. The fan wouldn't spin, I gave it a nudge and it started.
I had sound for a few minute then died again.

The brown stuff in the picture looks like rusty water, but is some kind of sticky sealant.

Attachments

• amp_fan.jpg
    amp_fan.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 25
  • rear_amp.jpg
    rear_amp.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 27

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
the brown stuff is either sealant and or glue to bond car together when built.... quite normal, although you seem to have much more than necessary

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
If you split it open , you will find black dust all over the area directly bellow the fan , if you clean it off with electric cleaner you may find the sound returns

funkstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 C216
Reviving this thread again!

Has anyone changed their fan as a premptive measure?

I'm also getting a dead battery as a result of the amp - keen to find a solution - perhaps simply install a manual "off" switch in the boot?

Riva

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 BlueEfficiency/2010/M278
I dished a lot of cash at Mercedes-Benz Chelsea to sort out mine. Turns out the HK amp was fine, the reason i was losing sound was that the DAB radio amp needed replacing. For a funny reason if the DAB or another device on that MOST network dies, you lose sound. So I paid £200 for "investigation" even though I already pinpointed that the problem was the DAB was playing up. Then I paid another £1100 to fit in a new DAB radio, the unit itself was around £800-something from Mercedes. Only to be told later on by comand online folks they have a better unit that also supports DAB+ for a lot less. Well at least I am keeping my merc in factory condition :p (feel stupid)

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Reviving this thread again!

Has anyone changed their fan as a premptive measure?

I'm also getting a dead battery as a result of the amp - keen to find a solution - perhaps simply install a manual "off" switch in the boot?

yes..... nightmare sized fan connector 1/2 the small size that's common on a laptop connector
you also need some thermal paste to re seat the heat sink on re assembly

there was a place on ebay doing the fans.... but when I needed one I couldn't find the add.... on my it has a posh brand of fan SUNON something like 25mm with odd speed and ampage 12v 0.6 amp and 8k rpm not much surprise it wear out !!!

And in Mercedes designed to fail mentality tries to push heat downwards !!!

I modified the case and use a lower speed, double the airflow, external fan pushing up hill, I also added stick on heat sinks to a number of chipsets in there. Some run at +80C with no cooling ever

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom