North Coast 500

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Mrs A bought a motorhome in the middle of last year and after lots of short (+/- 100 mile) trips, we are now planning our first big 2019 adventure - the North Coast 500. Will leave home and first stop will be near Inverness but not sure if best to go clockwise or anti-clockwise on the route.

We have started researching our route and joined the NC500 club but are looking for first hand recommendations before we finalise anything.

We have a 7.4m coachbuilt low profile based on a LWB transit chassis and are planning on taking our 2 Airedale’s with us (great with people- but being very large terriers, not great with other dogs).

Anyone on here with a motorhome done the NC with recommendations??

Mark

Last edited:

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Not got a motor home buddy , but I've driven the whole of the North and West coast a number of times . Used to do a lot of winter mountaineering up there , but have done at least 3 winter circuits sleeping on the beaches up there (in winter when I was younger ) .
If you are at Inverness , I would go anti clockwise . Personally depending on time frame I would ignore the North East coast and just head for the centre of the North Coast and then head left .
The real action is the West coast , it's truly spectacular . You will love it

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Clockwise? Surely anticlockwise so the scenery just keeps getting better as you do more of the circuit.

OP
M

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Many thanks Wighty.

We are based on the NE coast of Scotland, about 40 miles North of Aberdeen. We have done the West coast a number of times but never gone much further North than Inverness.

Our last trip was over to Morvich in November.

We would be looking to do a trip in April, before silly season starts.

Looking to do it in about 1 week - this time.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Best talking to one of the motorhome forums for advice on this, I've done these roads a few times before the North Coast 500 was even thought of and remember a lot of the roads are single track with passing places, not ideal in a 7.4 metre motor home?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Best talking to one of the motorhome forums for advice on this, I've done these roads a few times before the North Coast 500 was even thought of and remember a lot of the roads are single track with passing places, not ideal in a 7.4 metre motor home?
Funnily enough that was my first thought. That said last time I did the full thing was 1990 or so and on a recent trip to Gaitloch I was surprised how much of the single track is no longer single track.

Last edited:

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
We did this trip in May last year, but in a C63 AMG. We went anti-clockwise, and I think I'd recommend it that way round. Otherwise you peak early and it will get progressively less impressive as you go on.

Some nice restaurants on the route if that's your thing.

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/index.php?threads/i-have-a-disease.168413/

A little detail from our trip in this thread

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Funnily enough that was my first thought. That said last time I did the full thing was 1990 or so and on a recent trip to Gaitloch I was surprised how much of the single track is no longer single track.

Once you get into the top half of Scotland, above Ullapool, I don't think the roads have ever been updated much at all. Last time I was up that way the stretch from Ullapool to Durness was mostly single track and that's a distance of 60 miles!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Anti is the way imo
My sister and family are in Helmsdale so I spend some time up that side but to be honest it’s bleak at best so better to get that ‘done ‘ first then really up the enjoyment in the west...

OP
M

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Anti-clockwise it is.

I’m used to single track roads, slow and steady. I have a reversing camera, which I’m sure will come in handy along the way.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Anti-clockwise it is.

I’m used to single track roads, slow and steady. I have a reversing camera, which I’m sure will come in handy along the way.

I was looking at the map yesterday - thinking of a trip in March dependant on the weather (otherwise will have to be in Autumn). When are you going? Want to make sure I'm not there at the same time :)

What is the advantage of joining the club?

OP
M

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Maps, guidebook, suggested itineraries, discounts etc... if you are happy with digital only copies then it’s only £15 to join.

We are heading over in early April, as a lot of stuff is closed before April and in May through Sept it is very busy.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Maps, guidebook, suggested itineraries, discounts etc... if you are happy with digital only copies then it’s only £15 to join.

We are heading over in early April, as a lot of stuff is closed before April and in May through Sept it is very busy.

Yes - I also want to avoid the busy time.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom