Does an integrated dashcam solution exist?

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Hey team,

I swore to myself that the next car I buy I will have at least a front facing dash cam fitted. With some of the videos you see online and more importantly the shenanigans of other drivers, cyclists and Deliveroo/Uber drivers, I think they are very much a necessity.

That said, I don't really like the aesthetics of the plug and play solutions. (Prove me wrong with your pics..)

Has anybody ever achieved a more integrated installation which would consist of just the camera in the windscreen/dash (or bumper) and the associated electrics in say, the boot or glove box?

I guess what I am really asking in a roundabout way is this:

Is there a dashcam unit with external camera and separate DVR unit that can be hidden out of sight?

I guess something could be built up using various parts. Probably the most difficult would be the G sensor to detect collisions. For that, any such DVR would probably need an external interrupt/trigger input so you could mark that timeframe to be "not deleted" from memory.

I'll have a look online and report back if I find anything.

Thanks,
Conor

EDIT: Having a look online, some of the all in one solutions, don't look too bad, really.

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
You can get small ones that will just about hide behind the rear view mirror and once you've fed the power cable behind the roof lining and A-Pillar trim there's not a lot to see.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Buy a Citroen - apparently they have built in dash cams - I find it surprising that more manufacturers don't do this.

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
I have a Thinkware dash cams. No nvr /dvr to hide away.
It records, as most do to a micro sd IMG_6714.jpg IMG_6712.jpg card. They just record on a loop, if you need a specific shot or bit of film you can easily save it with the push of a button.
Most dash cams are fairly small.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Fitted one of these older Blackvue models to both cars last year after reading up on how to do it and not wanting to pay an autoelectrician £60 per car .
I liked the unobtrusive shape and managed to hide it behind the mirror totally . Records on an SD card .

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Have a look at ddpai mini 1 or 2
I have the mini 1 in my Smart & just bought the mini 2 for Emily's car though not yet fitted it. About the size of a mini chocolate roll, no screen to worry about & connects to your phone via Wi-Fi. I've JUST replaced the micro sd in mine after about 2 years.
There's now mini 3 ..... No idea about it though it seems to have an integrated memory

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Have a look at ddpai mini 1 or 2
I have the mini 1 in my Smart & just bought the mini 2 for Emily's car though not yet fitted it. About the size of a mini chocolate roll, no screen to worry about & connects to your phone via Wi-Fi. I've JUST replaced the micro sd in mine after about 2 years.
There's now mini 3 ..... No idea about it though it seems to have an integrated memory
They look like a well priced camera , same shape as the Blackvue that I have . The new Blackvue's are quite expensive so if my old version packs up I'll bear them in kind .

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
They look like a well priced camera , same shape as the Blackvue that I have . The new Blackvue's are quite expensive so if my old version packs up I'll bear them in kind .

I wasn't prepared to pay Blackvue prices .... ;-)

The ddapi cameras don't have GPS .... but that could be considered a plus point :rolleyes:

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
there is a company in chipp wilts that does replacement rear view mirrors that have built in dash cam and or satnav. not cheap. i posted a link to this some time ago. i went for a strap over rear mirror dash cam from nextbase which i use in my SL600. have yet to run wires out of sight and will likely move car on before that happens

.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-NBDVRMIRROR-Digital-Driving-Recorder/dp/B075TYLXY5

Rob76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E280 CDI Sport

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
As to the OP's question, the main problem is finding space in the mirror trim to fit another camera. There is already the rainlight sensor, TSR and LDW cameras, and the space allowance for 360 view in many cars too. It's not the camera itself but the space for the mounting bracket to fit onto the patch of windscreen contained by the mirror trim.

The search continues for a single camera that can combine dashcam, 360 view, TSR and/ or LDW.....................

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
There was a thread or posts recently on here or maybe t'other side about a dashcam like those linked by LostKiwi in post 6, but with a link to AliExpress and, like the ones in LK's post, specific to MB models. Chap has bought and fitted one, but how to find the thread/posts....

jimc230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230 Kompressor Avantgarde
I got one of these fitted to my bike last year. Chinese made, quality seems excellent. Connects to my mobile via its own wi-fi to change settings/download footage. Video and stills. Video has GPS coordinates embedded. Not cheap though.!

https://innovv.co.uk/products/k2-dashcam/

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
there is a company in chipp wilts that does replacement rear view mirrors that have built in dash cam and or satnav. not cheap. i posted a link to this some time ago. i went for a strap over rear mirror dash cam from nextbase which i use in my SL600. have yet to run wires out of sight and will likely move car on before that happens

.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-NBDVRMIRROR-Digital-Driving-Recorder/dp/B075TYLXY5

That one in the rearview specifically for MBs was the one I was thinking of when I saw the other. The rearview one isn't cheap but does look good.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
That one in the rearview specifically for MBs was the one I was thinking of when I saw the other. The rearview one isn't cheap but does look good.

LK ,THATS my home town, i went to look,was impressed but they did not have the correct mounting kit at the time. if/when they do its a mirror replacement, if i can remember the name i will re post it

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom