Should sister chop in 2 year old S Class 350 Diesel AMG for a petrol views?

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
my sister rang me up and asked my opinion, should she swap out her low mileage S Class AMGline Diesel ... shes on a 4 year lease and shes is coming up to her 3rd year.

Apparrently if you buy something expensive they dont crucify you too badly on a change out.
The cars in good condition, low mileage ... she is just petrified the diesel will be taxed to hell, or banned from most city centres.

Financially she plans to work another 2 years, so could do a 4 year lease and then retire with the new S Class (that was her original idea) and then run it for donkeys doing tiny annual mileage.

Any views welcomed

I have never liked or had a diesel, so havent really kept pace with all the diesel doom and gloom.
Some say a 2017 350 MB diesel is actually not so eco unfriendly ... i.e. “there are diesels and there are echo friendly diesels”
Despite my dislike of diesel chatter, I have to say it does seem to put out a very respectable level of power for a small engine.

Question is are these new diesels still killers ( nitrous part etc ) or or will this issue go away?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Her S class will be Euro 6 compliant , there will be nothing coming down the line in her remaining 2 years that will affect that diesel banding .

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Sounds like she's already made her mind up so get it changed now!

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Sounds like she's already made her mind up so get it changed now!

Nope she is not keen on a change, just worried she might be banned from entry to her local town or horrible new car taxes or diesel fuel premiums .
She bought my 3 year old S Class , knowing it was uterlly pampered from inew and kept it 14 years!

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
She like the idea of havi g a car from new and then keeping it ... because you then are certain it has been looked after properly.
Plus one can do things like have additional oil changes, or change abc fluid every 20,000 miles etc.
And drive arou d pot hOles etc.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Her S class will be Euro 6 compliant , there will be nothing coming down the line in her remaining 2 years that will affect that diesel banding .

Thats what I assumed.
Plus I feel whatever they hit her with wont be as much as the “loss” she would incur upgrading.

Unless they go eco mad and really demonize desiels .... personally I think there are too many on the road to hammer them.
But the Politicians are not always logical :):)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Nope she is not keen on a change, just worried she might be banned from entry to her local town or horrible new car taxes or diesel fuel premiums .
She bought my 3 year old S Class , knowing it was uterlly pampered from inew and kept it 14 years!
She’s already thinking about it so her foot is already partly out the door. If she was keen on keeping it she’d know it is Euro 6 complaint and therefore no issue with driving it right up to friends of the earths front door.

Best thing you can do for the environment is keep the car you have and service it regularly. Changing your car for environmental reasons is the biggest oxymoron going.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
She’s already thinking about it so her foot is already partly out the door. If she was keen on keeping it she’d know it is Euro 6 complaint and therefore no issue with driving it right up to friends of the earths front door.

Best thing you can do for the environment is keep the car you have and service it regularly. Changing your car for environmental reasons is the biggest oxymoron going.

Wot he said

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
She like the idea of havi g a car from new and then keeping it ... because you then are certain it has been looked after properly.
Plus one can do things like have additional oil changes, or change abc fluid every 20,000 miles etc.
And drive arou d pot hOles etc.

I get that but the car I posted is nearly new (max 10 months old) and has taken a £40k hit, it won't have even come up for it's first service and has 2.2 years MB warranty on it so good peace of mind there for all, just buy, stick it on a Hunter machine (or get the dealer to do it and provide a printout) and off you go then look after it

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thats what I assumed.
Plus I feel whatever they hit her with wont be as much as the “loss” she would incur upgrading.

The lease company wants the car back to reduce the loss, unless the new car is the same price or less (with no deposit) I would tell them to stick it

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Stick with the current car, I have a E350CDI & I am not changing. Going to petrol will increase your fuel costs by at least 40%, that will pay for an awful lot of congestion charges.
As Wighty says no changes in the next 2 years.

wivenhoe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 E Class E350e plug in hybrid
Out of interest I contacted them and asked approximately what px they would offer me against this S Class Coupe. They offered less than WeBuyAnyCar - £ 16k less than I paid 10 months ago and £ 26k less than list - their argument was that the S was £ 40k off list so their offer was a bargain

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Out of interest I contacted them and asked approximately what px they would offer me against this S Class Coupe. They offered less than WeBuyAnyCar - £ 16k less than I paid 10 months ago and £ 26k less than list - their argument was that the S was £ 40k off list so their offer was a bargain
I wouldn't get hung up on what they'll offer for yours, it's the cost to change that's important. How much of your folding do you need to hand over to get from 1 to the other. How they manage their numbers is irrelevant.

Their argument of £40K off list is also irrelevant, it's a second hand car, there is no list price for a second hand car...

wivenhoe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 E Class E350e plug in hybrid
I wouldn't get hung up on what they'll offer for yours, it's the cost to change that's important. How much of your folding do you need to hand over to get from 1 to the other. How they manage their numbers is irrelevant.

Their argument of £40K off list is also irrelevant, it's a second hand car, there is no list price for a second hand car...
I asked for the cost to change and they wouldn't give it - they wanted me to drag down so they could do the hard sell on the Coupe so that I lost my mind and accepted a 35% hit in 10 months on a car which is on 4 to 6 months back order. The other thing was that the S was a previous spec in terms of Comand and some other options so that went some way to explain the drop. That said, it is still an awful lot of car for £ 60k considering !

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I asked for the cost to change and they wouldn't give it - they wanted me to drag down so they could do the hard sell on the Coupe so that I lost my mind and accepted a 35% hit in 10 months on a car which is on 4 to 6 months back order. The other thing was that the S was a previous spec in terms of Comand and some other options so that went some way to explain the drop. That said, it is still an awful lot of car for £ 60k considering !
Just keep asking on the cost to change, they do get the message eventually...
There’s always another car out there so you should always be prepared to walk as well.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I have bought two second had cars from MB in the last 10 years, & traded two in. I always work on the cost to change price, & haven't had a problem except the haggling.
I work out the cost to change price, offer my car plus the difference in cash. Both times they came back wanting an extra £1K.
The first time I got it down to £500. The second time I was walking out to look at another car, when the salesman agreed the full price.
Always be prepared to walk away, there is always another car elsewhere.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
they seem to like 2k more than you think....1k in their pocket, 500 for a warranty and 500 for dent master bodge artist, a tyre, service and any other bits as required

I guess those numbers change based on the price of your new toy

Last edited:

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I have bought two second had cars from MB in the last 10 years, & traded two in. I always work on the cost to change price, & haven't had a problem except the haggling.
I work out the cost to change price, offer my car plus the difference in cash. Both times they came back wanting an extra £1K.
The first time I got it down to £500. The second time I was walking out to look at another car, when the salesman agreed the full price.
Always be prepared to walk away, there is always another car elsewhere.
What do you use to decide your cars price ? (Autotrader , we buy any car etc )

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom