Drivers Seat Belt Problem

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
I have noticed recently that the drivers seat belt in my car does not run smoothly at first fitting in the morning. When you attach it it restricts forward movement for several seconds, and becomes very tight, it's quite uncomfortable.

It's almost as if someone had held onto the belt to prevent the normal easy movement when the driver leans across the car from the driver's seat while wearing it for example, it restricts normal movement. After approx. five seconds or so it begins to function normally and run in and out with no restriction, very strange , something I have never experienced in any car before.

The problem only occurs when the belt has not been used for several hours, I have checked all the guides and feeds, to make sure that they are clean, with no contamination to no avail.

Any suggestions, ideas would be appreciated.

Cleck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EQC 400
It's the seatbelt pre-tensioner designed to pull the belt tight around you to make sure it works properly when needed. It can be turned off via the MFD.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Did this seat belt problem occur before your accident , because if it is since the accident maybe a sensor has been triggered by impact or something needs resetting on Star ?
Has the drivers seatbelt clip receiver been "triggered" by the impact , and is it shorter now than the passenger seatbelt clip receiver ?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I have noticed recently that the drivers seat belt in my car does not run smoothly at first fitting in the morning. When you attach it it restricts forward movement for several seconds, and becomes very tight, it's quite uncomfortable.

It's almost as if someone had held onto the belt to prevent the normal easy movement when the driver leans across the car from the driver's seat while wearing it for example, it restricts normal movement. After approx. five seconds or so it begins to function normally and run in and out with no restriction, very strange , something I have never experienced in any car before.

The problem only occurs when the belt has not been used for several hours, I have checked all the guides and feeds, to make sure that they are clean, with no contamination to no avail.

Any suggestions, ideas would be appreciated.

The pre-tensioner is just giving you a re-assuring hug Jim, perfectly normal.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
As above, and it can be switched of as mentioned. I did it with both my 212’s - didn’t bother me but frightened the bejeesus out of my passengers ...(although with the last 212 there may have been other reasons)

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
pre-tensioner, I had the same when my car was new to me. In the end I disabled it, but it's always amusing when someone new gets in.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Perhaps you’ve put in a bit of weight and didn’t notice the tightness before! (I miss the emojis)

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I
Did this seat belt problem occur before your accident , because if it is since the accident maybe a sensor has been triggered by impact or something needs resetting on Star ?
Has the drivers seatbelt clip receiver been "triggered" by the impact , and is it shorter now than the passenger seatbelt clip receiver ?

I'm not sure if it started before or after Wighty and, I'll check the receivers to see if one is shorter than the other.

Fingers crossed that it's just the pre tensioner needing disabled. :p

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
pre-tensioner, I had the same when my car was new to me. In the end I disabled it, but it's always amusing when someone new gets in.

When you say "you disabled it" Andy, was this done at a garage or, did you physically do it yourself?

If so, how, I need to know. Please!!!!! :D

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I

I'm not sure if it started before or after Wighty and, I'll check the receivers to see if one is shorter than the other.

Fingers crossed that it's just the pre tensioner needing disabled. :p

Receivers are both the same length, phew! Now all I need is to find out the procedure for disabling the pre tensioners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
When you say "you disabled it" Andy, was this done at a garage or, did you physically do it yourself?

If so, how, I need to know. Please!!!!! :D
Hi Jim, sorry, missed this. Hopefully you've seen the post from John.

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
I like the Mercedes Hug :)

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
I'm also OK being 'hugged'. It also 'hugged' me the other day, when the other half braked rather sharply. That was a surprise!

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
I'm also OK being 'hugged'. It also 'hugged' me the other day, when the other half braked rather sharply. That was a surprise!
Yes, happened to me last night for the first time ever. On the motorway I was braking for a queue and the car thought it would take over. The brake pedal disappeared from under my foot and the belt tightened while the dashboard was bleeping rather loudly at me!

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
Yes, happened to me last night for the first time ever. On the motorway I was braking for a queue and the car thought it would take over. The brake pedal disappeared from under my foot and the belt tightened while the dashboard was bleeping rather loudly at me!
Ooh! 'Brake Assist'. Only experienced that once, when I met a tipper lorry coming the other way round a bend on a B-road. Apparently my brake lights flashed too (my partner was in the car behind).

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well I've now disabled the pre-tensioner so, we'll see in the morning whether or not I'm still getting a 'Hug'. :rolleyes:

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well I've now disabled the pre-tensioner so, we'll see in the morning whether or not I'm still getting a 'Hug'. :rolleyes:

That seems to have done the trick. Thanks guys for all the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom