Service items - buy yourself or leave it to garage?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
There is no scheduled rear diff oil change (unless you have the 6.3 size engines ?) , I just like it because I never know how long I'm going to keep a car , it's under £20 in oil and I try to do it around the 40k mark when the gearbox ATF is changed .
Any car with a limited slip differential should have regular diff oil changes (not just AMGs).
This is due to friction clutches internal to the differential wearing and contaminating the oil with particles of friction material.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Any car with a limited slip differential should have regular diff oil changes (not just AMGs).
This is due to friction clutches internal to the differential wearing and contaminating the oil with particles of friction material.
I dream of having an LSD equipped car (a fast one anyway)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I dream of having an LSD equipped car (a fast one anyway)
Loads can be broken down into three distinct types:
1. Friction LSD where there areca set of clutch plates under a preload tension. These will drive both wheels at the same speed until a preset torque difference across the axles is reached at which point the clutches will slip but still drive both wheels.
2. Locking diffs. These use a panel mechanism to lock the wheels together. The pawls allow a wheel to go faster than the driven wheel but prevent the wheel going slower. They tend to be very noisy..
3. ATB or Torsen differentials. Automatic Torque Biasing or Torque Sensing differentials use a series of helical gears to detect a slipping wheel and direct 3-4 times the torque of the slipping wheel to the opposite side.

Each have their benefits and drawbacks. Locking diffs are severe in their operation and noisy (especially at low speed in tight turns) but provide 100% drive to both wheels when operating.
Friction LSDs are adjustable by setting the clutch pack preload and are smooth in operation but require higher maintenance.
Torsen diffs require some grip on the spinning wheel in order to transfer torque to the opposite one but are arguably best suited to road cars.
There are also electrically operated locking diffs. These are commonly found in off road vehicles where permanent full time drive is required to both wheels.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Loads can be broken down into three distinct types:
1. Friction LSD where there areca set of clutch plates under a preload tension. These will drive both wheels at the same speed until a preset torque difference across the axles is reached at which point the clutches will slip but still drive both wheels.
2. Locking diffs. These use a panel mechanism to lock the wheels together. The pawls allow a wheel to go faster than the driven wheel but prevent the wheel going slower. They tend to be very noisy..
3. ATB or Torsen differentials. Automatic Torque Biasing or Torque Sensing differentials use a series of helical gears to detect a slipping wheel and direct 3-4 times the torque of the slipping wheel to the opposite side.

Each have their benefits and drawbacks. Locking diffs are severe in their operation and noisy (especially at low speed in tight turns) but provide 100% drive to both wheels when operating.
Friction LSDs are adjustable by setting the clutch pack preload and are smooth in operation but require higher maintenance.
Torsen diffs require some grip on the spinning wheel in order to transfer torque to the opposite one but are arguably best suited to road cars.
There are also electrically operated locking diffs. These are commonly found in off road vehicles where permanent full time drive is required to both wheels.
Or air operated ARB lockers....

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Personal opinion and experience;

2 new cars on lease (Merc E350 and Astra GTC diesels, 3yrs 90,000 miles on each). Took them to the local dealer for servicing. Waited ages for basically an oil change. They do the filters and other items every few services and charge a fortune for the actual work they carry out. Generally speaking I have found most dealers to be shoddy with very little knowledge and I hate the fact many treat customers like they know nothing.

On any car I own myself and family members cars purchased new outright, we use independent garages known to me/diy. We buy the parts, ensuring each service genuinely consists of premium oil, plugs and all filters at the very least. This way, all service parts like air filters etc are sure be at their optimum performance between services. I also find that it's costs the same (with labour) to do it this way rather than get just an oil service at dealer. Every 2 or so services the gearbox oils for automatics and manuals, coolant, brake fluid etc are also done. This way for the normal cost of a service, ones service items and mechanical components are in better shape than a 'dealer serviced' vehicle.

Last edited:

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
There is no scheduled rear diff oil change (unless you have the 6.3 size engines ?) , I just like it because I never know how long I'm going to keep a car , it's under £20 in oil and I try to do it around the 40k mark when the gearbox ATF is changed .

LSD's scheduled, non LSD;s are 150k I think.

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
I would like to do all eventually (apart from gearbox brake fluid, diff oil and thermostat, looks to awkward for me to get correct.)

The rest is ok :) it's just having the space and tools. Maybe I will try in the future.

There are plenty of tutorials available for reference and study on YouTube Andy, most service items, oil, air, fuel and pollen filters are demonstrated and are fairly straight forward to do with a pretty basic tool kit sir.

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy they were to do by myself. Have a look, it will help with your confidence and encourage you to learn and diy.

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
I try to find a best of both worlds compromise. As others have said, it partly depends on the value you place on a full MB service history. I have a 15 plate SL (and a 64 plate E Class) and have persuaded myself that no-one is going to buy an SL in a few years time without a full MB history. However, on both my cars, and all the family cars (different brands), I tend to keep the history up in the sense of getting the oil service done through a dealer but I buy quality parts and do the air/pollen filters and also brakes myself. You really can save yourself loads of money on these ancillary items. I made the mistake of taking a service plan out on the E Class but that's a different story and I won't be renewing it as I now know it hasn't saved me anything.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
There are plenty of tutorials available for reference and study on YouTube Andy, most service items, oil, air, fuel and pollen filters are demonstrated and are fairly straight forward to do with a pretty basic tool kit sir.

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy they were to do by myself. Have a look, it will help with your confidence and encourage you to learn and diy.
If I had the space the tools I would be happy about giving this ago. But I would need jacks, stands, and a flat surface. Our drive is on a slight incline. So I look at this and the costs for asking a pro to do this and I am swayed. But, I could do pollen filters, air filters and could do the oil filer and oil with the oil pump.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If I had the space the tools I would be happy about giving this ago. But I would need jacks, stands, and a flat surface. Our drive is on a slight incline. So I look at this and the costs for asking a pro to do this and I am swayed. But, I could do pollen filters, air filters and could do the oil filer and oil with the oil pump.
My drive is a slight incline , I use a couple of wheel ramps from Halfords (£40?) , when I back the car into them or drive onto them with the ramps on the lower part of the slope , the effect is to make the car level but with the front or back up in the air with reasonable space underneath .
I can do rear diff , gearbox filter and drain oil from underneath just with the two wheel ramps . My point is you don't need much gear if the drive "happens" to be at an angle .

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
My drive is a slight incline , I use a couple of wheel ramps from Halfords (£40?) , when I back the car into them or drive onto them with the ramps on the lower part of the slope , the effect is to make the car level but with the front or back up in the air with reasonable space underneath .
I can do rear diff , gearbox filter and drain oil from underneath just with the two wheel ramps . My point is you don't need much gear if the drive "happens" to be at an angle .
Would you just check online to see what is required at certain millage? Apparently you can download the infor from the cars service history. Maybe I will look at this over the next years or so, I have the first indie service in April, so I will see what the total costs are. Mine is a 2013 model, so in a few years keeping up a full history will be pointless.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Would you just check online to see what is required at certain millage? Apparently you can download the infor from the cars service history. Maybe I will look at this over the next years or so, I have the first indie service in April, so I will see what the total costs are. Mine is a 2013 model, so in a few years keeping up a full history will be pointless.
I tend to know what my cars require service/filter wise from reading far too much stuff over the last few years . I tend to "over service " when left to mine own devices though .
I've got 2x2009 cars so they are fast becoming old bangers , but good condition ones none the less .

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I tend to know what my cars require service/filter wise from reading far too much stuff over the last few years . I tend to "over service " when left to mine own devices though .
I've got 2x2009 cars so they are fast becoming old bangers , but good condition ones none the less .
With a private plate they're never "old bangers"!!!!!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom