Interior parts carbon wrap - just plain tacky or acceptable ?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I got that Alastair, I quoted the price for the three pieces I'm looking at doing, I think I'll leave those to you V8 owners with deep pockets. :)
If it's ok with you I'll keep my £2k for fuel....;)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Why not do a gloss black.

I am looking to do the same in my W204 as the silver trim on the doors is marked

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Why not do a gloss black.

I am looking to do the same in my W204 as the silver trim on the doors is marked
The only issue with painting them is if I don't like the look of it it can't be reversed, I've ordered some carbon wrap and a heat gun and I'll see what it looks like. If I don't like it I can always warm it up and peel it off, I've ordered a matte wrap but being the indecisive person I am having seen my friends M3 with genuine gloss carbon fibre trim I'm not sure matter was the right choice? :)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
The only issue with painting them is if I don't like the look of it it can't be reversed, I've ordered some carbon wrap and a heat gun and I'll see what it looks like. If I don't like it I can always warm it up and peel it off, I've ordered a matte wrap but being the indecisive person I am having seen my friends M3 with genuine gloss carbon fibre trim I'm not sure matter was the right choice? :)
I think we are going to need a few pics for this when you start the job buddy :D

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I agree with David (Flowrider) on this one I think fake Carbon Fibre is a bit tacky. I think I would want to keep it original :)

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
I agree with David (Flowrider) on this one I think fake Carbon Fibre is a bit tacky. I think I would want to keep it original :)
Well I have no intention of spending £999 on genuine carbon fibre replacements that would add little to no value to the car and if I try and it looks dreadful I can peel it off again, I shall post some photo's when I've done it. :)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Well I have no intention of spending £999 on genuine carbon fibre replacements that would add little to no value to the car and if I try and it looks dreadful I can peel it off again, I shall post some photo's when I've done it. :)
I think pictures help the "simpler" forum members :D

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL 500 2003 M113 5.0l
I had an Alfa Romeo 916 GTV that had a silver centre console. I had it dipped and gloss lacquered. On my SL I actually prefer the silver to any of the wood finishes. I've always thought the wood out of place for the type of car. Poor picture but it was a long time ago with a Nokia phone. IMAG0578.jpg

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
I had an Alfa Romeo 916 GTV that had a silver centre console. I had it dipped and gloss lacquered. On my SL I actually prefer the silver to any of the wood finishes. I've always thought the wood out of place for the type of car. Poor picture but it was a long time ago with a Nokia phone. View attachment 48641
That's played havoc with my indecisiveness, now thinking I should have gone for the gloss wrap, oh bugger I'll order a roll of that as well just in case! :)

Blurryface

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG 2005
I didn’t like the brushed sulver finish on interior and the ‘claws so I had them dipped and laquered for a total of £300. I have added some pics in my album but you get the idea.

Attachments

• 32D88673-3159-4568-AE08-A2927FFC2589.jpeg
    32D88673-3159-4568-AE08-A2927FFC2589.jpeg
    410.3 KB · Views: 31
OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
I didn’t like the brushed sulver finish on interior and the ‘claws so I had them dipped and laquered for a total of £300. I have added some pics in my album but you get the idea.
Nice car and I like the look of it with the carbon fibre effect finish although definitely thinking I should go for the gloss rather than matte finish now. Are the side vents on the wings difficult to remove as mine could do with a lick of paint on them?
Nice VFR by the way, I love the V4 sound, I had an Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4R before down grading to my current Fazer 1000 to finance the renovation of my previous R129. Hopefully towards the end of the year the Fazer will make way for a later Tuono 1100 Factory. :)

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
The bit I posted a pic of is quite complex as you have a recess and a raised curve in very close proximity.
If you do use a wrap use adhesive primer to ensure it doesn't lift with hot sunlight on it. Only thing then is it can be a sod to get off and you have to get it straight first time....

What happens to the bits where you applied adhesive primer if you ever want to pull the vinyl off? I'm still toying with getting my wing mirrors and splitter wrapped in black. My only regret with my car is not ordering the night edition..

Blurryface

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG 2005
Hi Gramey. A mate removed all the parts so I can’t tell you how hard or easy it was. I do like the Aprilias but I’m getting tempted by that darn supercharged Kawasaki. That said the tuono is my fave so if you do get it we will sure have to meet up. I think £300 for all these bits was a great deal and the front grill was also done. I thought I’d tempt you!

Attachments

• 71F15F16-9C63-4D2C-A11D-D944835DBFAC.jpeg
    71F15F16-9C63-4D2C-A11D-D944835DBFAC.jpeg
    372.3 KB · Views: 17

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi Gramey. A mate removed all the parts so I can’t tell you how hard or easy it was. I do like the Aprilias but I’m getting tempted by that darn supercharged Kawasaki. That said the tuono is my fave so if you do get it we will sure have to meet up. I think £300 for all these bits was a great deal and the front grill was also done. I thought I’d tempt you!
It's a "no" from me - nut each to their own and if we all liked the same thing life would get pretty boring pretty fast

Carbon fibre is used for lightness / strength, adding plastic wrap "carbon fibre" is adding weight and not making anything stronger.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
It's a "no" from me - nut each to their own and if we all liked the same thing life would get pretty boring pretty fast

Carbon fibre is used for lightness / strength, adding plastic wrap "carbon fibre" is adding weight and not making anything stronger.
No that's fair enough, as you say each to their own I just think the 'faux' silver carbon effect on the interior trim isn't particularly fetching. I would be more concerned about the added weight if it were a sports car but it's a cruiser so I don't think it will impact too much on the performance.:)

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom