Top Gear tonight - best episode in ages

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Did anyone else enjoy this evenings episode of Top Gear as much as I did? As much as I hate the boring shape of the S class of that era, I couldn't tell you the model designation, it was ****** epic for an 18 year old car, especially in comparison to the Rolls-Royce and Bentley.
If it wasn't for the aftermarket spacer Harris had fitted to the Mercedes for the race I'm pretty sure it would have made it to the end.:)

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Have to agree with you there gramey, I thought it was quite good, even more so when they turned the old W140? into a race car, how cool was that car!
Thought the RR and Bentley were out paced but good to see as have had those too in the past.
Hmm £6000, better not do ebay tonight :D

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Have to agree with you there gramey, I thought it was quite good, even more so when they turned the old W140? into a race car, how cool was that car!
Thought the RR and Bentley were out paced but good to see as have had those too in the past.
Hmm £6000, better not do ebay tonight :D
What on earth was with the Rolls-Royce, even normally aspirated 6.75 litres of V8 should have been quicker than that, it must have had a had life with a previous owner!:(

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
It was an excellent episode and the 600SEL really did go well, only died because of running over detritus on the track. Looked great in the "red pig" livery as well.

The "Grand Tour" RV episode if you've seen that was also very enjoyable watching.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What on earth was with the Rolls-Royce, even normally aspirated 6.75 litres of V8 should have been quicker than that, it must have had a had life with a previous owner!:(

It must have been a well neglected example by most of its previous owners, just goes to show what you can buy for 6 grand, but would you want too. Must say I would have opted for the Mercedes out of the 3 ;)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Agreed decent episode and the Silverstone part particularly enjoyable for once not ‘ acted’ - quite genuine involvement and result . CH is an awesome driver and I welcome him in any car show...the other two are a waste of space though

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Agreed decent episode and the Silverstone part particularly enjoyable for once not ‘ acted’ - quite genuine involvement and result . CH is an awesome driver and I welcome him in any car show...the other two are a waste of space though

Yes, but the other 2 do kind of work together quite well, the 3 of them seem to be getting better and more natural.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Well the only 600SEL of the same vintage I could see for sale on ebay is more than double what they supposedly paid for theirs!:)

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
I quite like Matt LeBlanc as he comes across as a genuine petrol head, certainly a damn sight better than that twat Chris Evans when he was doing it.:)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Yes, good episode, entertaining.

Loved that 600SEL, looked like it had been hewed from a lump of solid German steel.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Yes, but the other 2 do kind of work together quite well, the 3 of them seem to be getting better and more natural.
Yes, shame it's an all new team for the next series :( Goodness knows what Messrs McGuinness and Flintoff will be like!

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
I think Jeremy Clarkson should have punched that firkin… Ooh I REALLY do wish I could express myself genuinely and freely without recourse on a public platform… individual… and knocked him into an adjacent firkin dimension...permanently!

What an absolute travesty it was to replace three respected, educated, professional and genuine motoring journalists with an endless succession of failed actors, pseudo comedians and wannabe celebrities, sad, sad day when the BBC decided to ruin a perfect partnership over nothing more than a spat over a dinner menu.

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
Look up the YouTube videos from 'Harry's Garage' where he buys a cheap Shadow and drives it to Norway looking for the Northern Lights. A great story - and he details what they had to do to coax a few horses which had disappeared over time out of the engine.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Yes, good episode, entertaining.

Loved that 600SEL, looked like it had been hewed from a lump of solid German steel.

I remember the motoring magazines of the time making a big thing of the 2 aerial type markers on the rear wings to help you reverse the car ...... times have moved on a bit in the years in between & now even the cheapest of also-rans have a reversing camera (probably standard too :rolleyes:)

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
I think Jeremy Clarkson should have punched that firkin… Ooh I REALLY do wish I could express myself genuinely and freely without recourse on a public platform… individual… and knocked him into an adjacent firkin dimension...permanently!

What an absolute travesty it was to replace three respected, educated, professional and genuine motoring journalists with an endless succession of failed actors, pseudo comedians and wannabe celebrities, sad, sad day when the BBC decided to ruin a perfect partnership over nothing more than a spat over a dinner menu.

Can't agree Tony. There are no circumstances to justify a powerful colleague striking a junior at work. Least of all the absence of a steak dinner. The BBC would have been sued into obscurity if they had tried to stand by their untamed Celeb. I miss JCs presence on the show and the BBC will sorely miss the worldwide sales, but some workplace rules are non-negotiable.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, shame it's an all new team for the next series :( Goodness knows what Messrs McGuinness and Flintoff will be like!

Seriously, why do companies always have to try too improve recipes! :(

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Probably a lot of **** take and messing around. Trying to bring in the fans of these two into Top-gear.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom