Interior parts carbon wrap - just plain tacky or acceptable ?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Thanks for the further comments, just to clarify the wine bottle was an empty left over waiting to be put in the recycle bin, I understand those who don't like it, after all we are all individuals. Strangely enough whilst I think some of the wood trim can look a little plasticky I would have preferred a decent colour wood trim to the silver and I wouldn't have changed it.

It was only because I was too tight to cough up £300 for second hand wood trim but wanted to change the silver hence why I ended up with this, which personally I prefer to the silver. I may change it in the future and go with the gloss but for now I'll see how this stands up, I'm doing the door trims tonight. :)
I'm a fan of this style wood - black birds eye maple.
finishes-lrg-ls2.jpg

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I'm a fan of this style wood - black birds eye maple.
View attachment 48762
Me too, had it in my 210 and 211, I had the open pore black ash in my 213 instead of the alumina which was different as it was matte finish but I grew to like it a lot.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I don't understand why you would put Wood in a sports car, SL means Sportlich-Leicht, Wood is neither

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I don't understand why you would put Wood in a sports car, SL means Sportlich-Leicht, Wood is neither
The SL is anything but Leicht or a sports car. It's a grand tourer.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
The SL isn't a sports car, it's a grand tourer. :)

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
So I managed to get the door trims done last night and they came out alright. Irrespective of the colour choice they were considerably easier to do than the centre console only having one hole to cope with .:) DSC_0568.JPG DSC_0570.JPG

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They really look great, I am really tempted to have ago at mine now

How easy is it to do the corners???

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Once again I think you have done a really good job, I think the wrap looks better on the doors that the centre console for some reason. You could have the beginnings of a new career here!

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none

Although obviously the hardest part providing you take a little time they're fine, I found it best to put little snips in there to avoid it bunching when you fold it over. I did the same with the holes, little snips so you're not overly stretching the vinyl when you fold it, you don't need to snip right up to the edge of the hole. I watched this video before attempting mine and for the eagle eyed amongst you I have to do one of the door trims again, the pattern goes in the opposite direction to the other side, doh!:)

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

All patience and practise - I have covered dozens of model aeroplanes with Oracover (vinyl wrap for model aircraft) and with a bit of help from YouTube, it will be fine.

Last edited:
OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Nice but the weave going in opposite directions would get me twitchy after a while....
The joys of doing one at time and working indoors with the car outside, I'll confess it never crossed my mind at the time and it wasn't until I looked at the photo's one together that I twigged what I'd done but fear not, my OCD will see it rectified in the very near future. I will actually do both as neither go in the same direction as the console, doh! :)

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Yep, I like the colour and it goes well with the other trim. Good job!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Did you remove the door panels to do it?

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Did you remove the door panels to do it?
Sorry for some reason I've only just spotted this, yes I removed the door panels as the inserts are held on with spring washer type clips. So whilst you could prise it of you risk damaging the insert and also you have no way of either reusing or putting the clips back on with the door panel still on. It's not a particularly difficult job to get them off as long as you're careful sliding your hand along the bottom edge locating the plastic studs and gently prising them out or buy a handful to have spare in case they break.:)

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom