Is it the crankshaft sensor?

Dave Jordan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 E280
Hi I drove my 1999 E-CLASS Saloon (W210) E 280 Petrol (12/96 - 03/02) for about 40 minutes stopping once and all was fine. Once I got home I went to restart the car after about an hour and it started but then stopped within a few seconds. The engine actually ran but only briefly. I tried a number of time with the same result. After a further couple of hours I tried again and the car started and ran first time and I drove it without issue for about 20 miles. No engine warning lights lit up.

I have had two previous Mercedes (C180 and a C200) and both had a faulty crankshaft sensors with similar intermittent issues but I don't think they started to run, just cranked. Does this sound like the crankshaft sensor? If not what else can I check? I thought at first it was a fuel problem but once it started it ran fine.

Many thanks in advance.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Second that.
It could be many things of course, but the first suspect would be the cps.
Not expensive, so - although I hate the 'change parts until you've nailed it' mentality - it seems a safe bet this time.

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
Excactly same symptoms I had
but mine was cam shaft sensor, was very easy fix to replace.
Also mine was a diesel whether this makes any difference, not sure
Don’t want to throw you off track though.
Mine never failed to start when cold only when warm.

OP
D

Dave Jordan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 E280
Thanks. Mine is a petrol. I will try the crankshaft sensor first and then the cam sensor. Did you get the engine fault light come on? Mine hasn't.

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
Thanks. Mine is a petrol. I will try the crankshaft sensor first and then the cam sensor. Did you get the engine fault light come on? Mine hasn't.

No lights at all , on mine the cam shaft senor was sitting right at the top just 1 wire ,

OP
D

Dave Jordan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 E280
Update. I got a new crankshaft sensor from Eurocarparts (£98 :( ) and fitted it. A bit of a pain but not too bad. The M8 bolt was actually lose which confused me as I didn't think I had correctly located the drive on it. The car has been fine since fitting it so fingers crossed.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Update. I got a new crankshaft sensor from Eurocarparts (£98 :( ) and fitted it. A bit of a pain but not too bad. The M8 bolt was actually lose which confused me as I didn't think I had correctly located the drive on it. The car has been fine since fitting it so fingers crossed.
What make was the sensor?

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom