Dpf blocked.

mrmb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200 CDI Sport Edition 125 2011 / W215 CL600 Bi-Turbo M275 2002
If you will drive longer journeys even in the city there shouldn't be an issue as somebody said it. If you will do only short journeys then you will have a problem. My car got the dpf issue when intake manifold flaps started acting weird and then DPF Pressure Sensor went on it causing issues. After two parts have been replaced, no more problems.

allybassman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C350 Estate
As an aside it’s easy to tell when a regen starts on the OM642 engine the car revs rise to 800rpm minimum and the exhaust note becomes raspier due to the extra injected fuel burning off the soot in the DPF and if I can I run the vehicle until the regen stops a bit OCD I know but I do quite a lot of short journeys

100% agree, you can tell when it's gearing up for one, I find that the car gets up to temperature quicker, then all of a sudden the engine note changes, the idle speed increases and I know I have to drive until it finishes... not a bad thing in a C350 ;-0

My car takes the mick sometimes though. I drove to my parents a couple of weeks ago, 40 miles on the motorway at a decent pace. When I pull onto their road, the DPF regen starts. Cue me turning around and going for a drive until it completes.

Dam you, Car OCD!

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
If you will drive longer journeys even in the city there shouldn't be an issue as somebody said it. If you will do only short journeys then you will have a problem. My car got the dpf issue when intake manifold flaps started acting weird and then DPF Pressure Sensor went on it causing issues. After two parts have been replaced, no more problems.
I had a cracked bolt on the inlet manifold then 4 weeks later a dpf pressure sensor then 6 weeks later a exhaust temp sensor went all comes in line eventually.

OP
N

ncarey265

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class c220 sport bluetech 64 plate 2.1L
Ok so I have managed to plug and obd reader I had and clear the engine management light fault (dunno if I've done the right thing) but I'm hoping I can fill it up with fuel and go for a blast to now force a regen since a regen wouldn't happen with the light on.

I do enough driving for regents to happen. I drive 18 miles to work and 18 miles back I think my issues has been not enough fuel in the tank for a regen to kick in

OP
N

ncarey265

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Screenshot_20190403-185600_Drive.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190403-185600_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20190403-185600_Drive.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 14

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
It won't regen if the soot level is too high and with the engine in limp mode, for various reasons.

The advice was given at the start, you need to get it on STAR, likely you will need a new DPF pressure sensor, a software update to the engine ECU and then you can force regen it.

OP
N

ncarey265

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But with the light now being off and not in limp mode will a force regen now work?

I dont have alot of money till end of month had a busy couple of weeks so I'm abit stuck at the moment.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You can't force a regen by going for a drive. It will only regen if all parameters are in the right area - that includes soot level. As Steve said to force a regen requires Star and very likely a sensor and firmware update.

OP
N

ncarey265

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok so I may have made things worse. I've rest the engine light will this come back on if there still a problem or will I only know now if there is still a problem when it blocks all together?

Can anyone reccomend a local indie with star I live in west Lancashire and an idea how much it will cost me to have a diagnostic start check?

Thanks for all your help

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
lots of the higher end diagnostic kit will allow a forced regen so STAR is not the only option.

but software updates and the right sensor would be best done by a good indie

Nav Afzal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350/2014/2.987CC
SOT and apologies for hijacking posters thread but does the DPF build only occur if the car is not driven enough ? what would happen if the car was not driven for weeks/days on end, does the DP filter build up ?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
SOT and apologies for hijacking posters thread but does the DPF build only occur if the car is not driven enough ? what would happen if the car was not driven for weeks/days on end, does the DP filter build up ?
Not an issue when it’s not driven, it’s frequent very short journeys that are the issue.

Nav Afzal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350/2014/2.987CC
I definitely need to start driving mine then as most of my mileage last year was very short drives up and down the A50 to warm up the engine and keep it ticking over. Thanks Blobcat.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI

The flawed DPF system has many enemies and some very simple ones at that .

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
100% agree, you can tell when it's gearing up for one, I find that the car gets up to temperature quicker, then all of a sudden the engine note changes, the idle speed increases and I know I have to drive until it finishes... not a bad thing in a C350 ;-0

My car takes the mick sometimes though. I drove to my parents a couple of weeks ago, 40 miles on the motorway at a decent pace. When I pull onto their road, the DPF regen starts. Cue me turning around and going for a drive until it completes.

Dam you, Car OCD!
Mine did the same when I drove to the airport, no choice but to park up. Imagine if you had never heard of this before, you would park up as normal.

OP
N

ncarey265

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi my car is currently in MB Tech in warrington. They have told me it's a faulty pressure sensor fine ok I'll pay for it get sorted but they want an extra £200 to do a force regen which I think is daylight robbery. If I get then to replace sensor clear codes and I take the car will it regen itself? Without paying them £200 to do it?

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
It may be that they are going to have to do an ECU update in order to get it to do a forced regen, so worth asking them why it is this cost. Otherwise its just a case of kicking it off and getting out of ear shot of the noise it will make.

They could of course be having someone stay with the car whilst it is doing the regen and charging for that labour.

OP
N

ncarey265

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
He never said anything about an ECU update just that they need to tell the car to do a regen.

They basically wants £330 to replace a pressure sensor and to tell the car to do a force regen.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
The sensors are around the £100-115 range depending on which one it is and then you will have at least an hours labour for fitting of that which will be again in the £100+ range for a dealer. So they are probably adding another hours labour for doing the regen.

Do you have a local independent, they would probably be in the £200 range for the whole job.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom