What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
TLDR: Sunday I went in for a single tyre repair, and came out with 4 new tyres on my w203 C270 :/ On the plus side, now safer and road holding and feel has been drastically improved.

So, Sunday morning I pop into STS TyrePros to get rear driver’s-side tyre repaired. It has had a problem retaining pressure recently and I thought it may be a faulty valve or rim sealing problems like two of the others I had had serviced but in Saturday I noticed what looked like a stone in the tread, on closer inspection it was the head of a silver coloured wood screw. Given the location in the middle of the thread I thought it was prime for a repair.

In Nov 2016 I put 4 new Michelin CrossClimate 205/55 R16 91V on the car, done maybe 17k Miles on them, still plenty of tread (or so I thought).

I hadn’t got 20mins walk from the garage before they chap called me and said they could not repair the tyre as there was a nail through the inside edge as well, too close to the edge to repair and within a 90deg quadrant of the screw so they wouldn’t repair it. The news didn’t stop there; the passenger front tyre had a slash through the tread all the way to the belting (most likely caused by driving over a piece of glass or metal), it was also almost completely worn to the bars on the outside tyre edge (roundabouts) and the rear passenger tyre was worn almost to the bars on the inside edge (most likely caused by the bad busing on the left of the rear seat bar I had done in Jan, although not mentioned by the mechanic :/ )

To top it off, both front wheels were out of alignment (both toe in) which set me back £50 on top of the tyre cost (is this really the going rate for alignment nowadays?)

£425 later and I come out with 4 replacement CrossClimate tyres, having gone in for a £25 repair. Not happy about the unexpected spend but happy that the diligent staff spotted the safety issues and saved me potential license points had some of the tyres worn any further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s not such a bad amount all things considering. It’s the unexpected uplift from a £20 repair to 4 new tyres that takes some absorbing. :(

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 350cdi (C218) 2012 / OM642
That’s not such a bad amount all things considering. It’s the unexpected uplift from a £20 repair to 4 new tyres that takes some absorbing. :(

Blobcat: This is true, it is not a bad value (once I got the guy to agree to price match their own web-only price and black circles, brought the total down from £520 to £425 including the 1year tyre insurance guarantee for £8.50/tyre . As you said, just the unplanned nature of it

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Blobcat: This is true, it is not a bad value (once I got the guy to agree to price match their own web-only price and black circles, brought the total down from £520 to £425 including the 1year tyre insurance guarantee for £8.50/tyre . As you said, just the unplanned nature of it

You obviously got a deal you were happy with but in my experience Black Cirles are by no means cheap. When I changed my rears just before Christmas my local people, 'Kirkley Tyres' were £30.00 per tyre cheaper than Black Circles !! :)

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ive started using a small indy tyre place who used to sell part worns but now also do new tyres , way cheaper than anywhere else

Well, my part worn front-right tyre will defo end up at one of those soon ;) and possibly the “unrepairable” one too. I have use part-worns as stopgap in the past, and with a lot of success. When I bought my C270 it had 4 different tyres on it (not a good sign) and first thing I did was source a complete set of part worn to hold me until I found out what tyres I wanted to get fitted after some research. Been very happy with the Michelin CrossClimate.

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You obviously got a deal you were happy with but in my experience Black Cirles are by no means cheap. When I changed my rears just before Christmas my local people, 'Kirkley Tyres' were £30.00 per tyre cheaper than Black Circles !! :)

That isn’t bad, I just did a price check and the CrossClimates I purchased are 75p cheaper with Kirkley. Next time I am heading to the Adnams brewery, if I need my tyres doing I will look up Kirkley ;)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Well, my part worn front-right tyre will defo end up at one of those soon ;) and possibly the “unrepairable” one too. I have use part-worns as stopgap in the past, and with a lot of success. When I bought my C270 it had 4 different tyres on it (not a good sign) and first thing I did was source a complete set of part worn to hold me until I found out what tyres I wanted to get fitted after some research. Been very happy with the Michelin CrossClimate.

I worked in the Vehicle Contract Hire business for just over 40 years. The last Contract Hire company I worked for who I was with for 12 years insisted that every car they bought was fitted with Michelin, a sound statement I think for the quality of Michelin Tyres. :)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That isn’t bad, I just did a price check and the CrossClimates I purchased are 75p cheaper with Kirkley. Next time I am heading to the Adnams brewery, if I need my tyres doing I will look up Kirkley ;)

And pick up some Broadside whilst you are there at Adnams !! :D

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
"Nowt so queer as folk" as they say

He could have also check via some form of mobile communications device...:rolleyes:

Some people, when doing major grovelling/persuasive work, as in say, to buy a car, prefer to have face to face contact with Swmbo so that they can read her body language, to better judge their chances.

He may have wanted to see the car to see if it was worth putting himself through that ordeal. Not that I know about such things, it's only what I've heard.:rolleyes: ;) Although I do understand the situation.:p

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Some people, when doing major grovelling/persuasive work, as in say, to buy a car, prefer to have face to face contact with Swmbo so that they can read her body language, to better judge their chances.

He may have wanted to see the car to see if it was worth putting himself through that ordeal. Not that I know about such things, it's only what I've heard.:rolleyes: ;) Although I do understand the situation.:p
If he’s that far under the thumb I’m surprised he managed to get the leave pass to go and test drive it :rolleyes::eek::p

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If he’s that far under the thumb I’m surprised he managed to get the leave pass to go and test drive it :rolleyes::eek::p

I suspect that he had another excuse and that his OH was none the wiser about his query/test drive, and, unless he decides he wants it, never will.

I'm surprised Russell, have you never taken the long road for a short cut for a peaceful life. Particularly if you were unsure of something?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I suspect that he had another excuse and that his OH was none the wiser about his query/test drive, and, unless he decides he wants it, never will.

I'm surprised Russell, have you never taken the long road for a short cut for a peaceful life. Particularly if you were unsure of something?
There’s two ways of doing things, my way and the other...:rolleyes: one of them will probably be the right way. Please don’t ask me which :D

One thing I’ve never done though, is do anything for an easy life

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There’s two ways of doing things, my way and the other...:rolleyes: one of them will probably be the right way. Please don’t ask me which :D

One thing I’ve never done though, is do anything for an easy life

There's more than one way to skin a.......(insert animal of choice) although I understand your reasoning/methodology, and, adopt a similar way in my approach to life, I have learned to bend like the reed in the wind. Ooo, very oriental, ;)

It serves me, generally, I get what I want most often when I want it.

Sometimes a little patience (finageling) goes a long way. ;) :D

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Been on a test drive this morning in my 190.

Guy came a fair distance to see it, liked what he saw but didn't make an offer as he "has to check with the wife first".

Well, quoting my own post but I've just received a lovely email from the gentleman in question.

I'm not going into massive detail but he reckons that the car is much too tidy for what he wants, which is basically a daily driver, so he's declining to put a bid in as he doesn't think he could do it justice. This actually suits me fine as I want the car to be treated with a bit of respect and not abused.

Yes, I know it's "only a car" to a lot of people but I've spent many hours on this one to make it as it now stands, so I'd prefer it to go to someone who can look after it and not just run it into the ground. It's sad but I tend to treat it like re-homing an old cat, making sure it gets the care it deserves.

I was also like this with my previous W212 E63, it had to go to someone who knew it and I trusted.

SJMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 SL63
Well, quoting my own post but I've just received a lovely email from the gentleman in question.

I'm not going into massive detail but he reckons that the car is much too tidy for what he wants, which is basically a daily driver, so he's declining to put a bid in as he doesn't think he could do it justice. This actually suits me fine as I want the car to be treated with a bit of respect and not abused.

Yes, I know it's "only a car" to a lot of people but I've spent many hours on this one to make it as it now stands, so I'd prefer it to go to someone who can look after it and not just run it into the ground. It's sad but I tend to treat it like re-homing an old cat, making sure it gets the care it deserves.

I was also like this with my previous W212 E63, it had to go to someone who knew it and I trusted.
I don't blame you Dave. It's important for these things to go to good homes so they will be cherished and looked after

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
run about in the 170 this morning , oh and my commute to work , top down of course :)

But what about the car? :)

Reminds me of this:
4f72ad97c440392193eabd1bba0b2627.jpg

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nice top down run, sunny but cold wind so airscarf and heated seats in full tilt :)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom