Help with overhauling or sourcing new caliper - 2007 CLK Sport

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
Mrs D noticed an odd feel in her steering/braking last week and I find the nearside front caliper has a semi-seized piston. Can't seem to see a used replacement... Eurocarparts one looks about right for shape and is branded Pagid… a refurb.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/...944006f5ae108869867aaa8cc124109620c1fd&000048

With discount comes in at £110 once the surcharge is refunded or £145 if you don't get that refund. Any ideas for a refurb kit (guess I'll need a new piston as well as seals) or a company that does refurbs or exchange.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Stuck caliper 2.JPG Stuck caliper.JPG

Last edited:
OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks... I'll phone them in the morning. I've taken the caliper off and the piston is so seized I'd rather send it away to a pro place than attempt DIY. I'll get both fronts done while I'm at it... their website says £125 the pair and I'm OK with that.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Have you asked Mercedes for a quote? These particular calipers are prone to seizure, and I have replaced a few, always with exchange units from the main dealer. I'm away on holiday in the Lakes at the moment, otherwise I could give you a price for them.

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Always worth trying MB but on this occasion... wow. Over £300 plus VAT per side!

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I am sort of going through the same thing but with a rear calliper, i have been advised to check the run out on the disc, as unequal pressure from calliper could have slightly warped the disc. I am going to rebuild both callipers and fit new discs and pads as do not want to do the job twice.
my main concerns are, removing flex pipe, getting the four 13mm bolts to remove that hold the calliper together, rest should be easy.
I did not consider having a firm do it, maybe i should have, but i like solving things myself.

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
>>>but i like solving things myself.

Yep so do I and I was close to getting the overhaul kits... makes sense to do both sides I thought... and they were about £60. Pretty busy at the moment so the £125 plus postage of Bigg Red is actually not bad value... had over £700 with VAT from the dealers been the only option I'd be doing it myself!

My flex pipes were easy to undo and are you sure you have to split the calipers... if not essential and not leaking at the split joints I'd just pop the pistons out if there is enough space for them to travel right out.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
@joderest just ensure that any o rings you may have to replace are safe to use with brake fluid.
If your pistons are pitted then stainless piston replacements may be better, and use new piston seals with a dab of brake grease to make like easier.

Maybe even get Smoothrite enamel out in the colour of choice whilst you’re at it. :)

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just booked with Bigg Red so I'll get them packed up now. They seem on the ball and helpful. Turnaround not to bad... if they get them Wednesday they will post out Friday or Monday.

I've just gone for their basic prep and gold repaint. I can easily add some extra paint or change colour once they are back.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
FLYINSPANNER.
Yep, o rings come as part of the kit with new seals and grease.
And you guessed it, paint job as well !!!!!!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
FLYINSPANNER.
Yep, o rings come as part of the kit with new seals and grease.
And you guessed it, paint job as well !!!!!!
Be interested to know how you get on with the self rebuild . It maybe something I may be doing next year after reading that there were some lower brake pressure readings on my mot from one side of the rear .

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just an update. Both front calipers overhauled by Big Red. I have no quibbles over the quality of their work, proper hydraulic overhaul with new pistons/rubbers plus a very nice refinish OE style with the Mercedes stickers. Sadly there were delays due to confusion re my choice of finish which they could have resolved with one phone call... and they were not clear in saying what they offered to do as "no problem" as if included was going to be about £50 more than the basic service I'd asked for.

I would use them again but be much more clear cut about what I wanted, timescales and my budget limits.

Caliper refurb.JPG

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
Just found this and they look great. Very 'factory'.

Droverunner, how have they held up after nearly 8 months?

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Funny you should ask as the other day when I washed the car and had a good look at the calipers I was nearly prompted to post an update.

They are already looking close to how they were (at 12yrs old) in my first post. I wish I'd not bothered with the extra cost of the stickers or "premium" finish and just sprayed them myself with a can.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Funny you should ask as the other day when I washed the car and had a good look at the calipers I was nearly prompted to post an update.

They are already looking close to how they were (at 12yrs old) in my first post. I wish I'd not bothered with the extra cost of the stickers or "premium" finish and just sprayed them myself with a can.

When I costed my CLK caliper refurb/replacement cost last year , I looked extensively at refurb costs and ended up going the DIY route using either Big Red or Brakeparts to source the kits myself .
Part of the reason as well for the diy route is that when I replace the E class discs and pads soon , I will need to do the calipers at the same time , so thought I had better learn how to do it to keep the costs down .

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interesting to read Wighty thanks. I usually do everything on the cars myself but that caliper overhaul need hit me at a very busy time where I could ill afford that car off the road for long... so the "theory" of the promised quick turnaround pro job seemed best.

Being let down on timescale gave us real problems re vehicle availability... paying more than expected was a little annoying... and now the finish not lasting would make me determined to DIY next time.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I used Halfords Caliper paint, dries in about 10 mins so 3 coats took under an hour in the sun, easy to use, all in the prep and getting the dust off them

Top Bottom